Ian Book (1 Viewer)

I didn't mention record. I mentioned productivity. There were a major dropoff from Brees to whoever after.
Yeah, but surely you have to expect some drop off when going from Drew Brees to the likes of Bridgewater, Taysom Hill, etc, especially on short notice.

That’s not an indictment of the coaching.

I think the results he got from non-Brees qb’s was pretty darn good, and better than we’ve seen those same quarterbacks play elsewhere.

Yeah, but surely you have to expect some drop off when going from Drew Brees to the likes of Bridgewater, Taysom Hill, etc, especially on short notice.

That’s not an indictment of the coaching.

I think the results he got from non-Brees qb’s was pretty darn good, and better than we’ve seen those same quarterbacks play elsewhere.
Right but the whole point is Payton was not a guru like some people said. He drafted 3 quarterback in the mid rounds and all of them has been a major disappointment. When they were drafted some people got excited that despite their draft position, Payton will suddenly make them legitimate quarterback in the league.

Right but the whole point is Payton was not a guru like some people said. He drafted 3 quarterback in the mid rounds and all of them has been a major disappointment. When they were drafted some people got excited that despite their draft position, Payton will suddenly make them legitimate quarterback in the league.
Usually mid round QBs are disappointment.

Payton was never a quarterback guru that people make him out to be. Payton is a good game manager. His offense is one of the most complicated in the NFL. Anyone coming in will have a hard time mastering the offense like Brees. It was fortunate Brees came in at the same time as Payton first year. They had the luxury to start out fresh. Every quarterback that had started for us when Brees was injured or out had just a quarter of production of what Brees can do.

The only coach that got the best of any quarterback regardless of who starting is Andy Reid. He got the best out of Alex Smith, and Patrick Mahomes. When those two were out, he got the best out of their back ups....Chase Daniel and whoever was Mahomes backup when he got injured.
To be fair, pretty much everyone in the Dallas front office gives Payton credit for pushing them to get Tony Romo.

Kerry Collins also had his best seasons (by a good margin) when working with Sean Payton.

Payton and Brees obviously made magic together (each elevating each other) for years, and Payton got the absolute best out of guys like Teddy Bridgewater, Taysom Hill, Siemian, and things were arguably looking good with Winston as well.

I just don’t get downgrading Payton’s work with qb’s other than Brees, but then celebrating Andy Reid’s (who does work very well with that position) work with Chase Daniel, who had 1 td and 1 int during his time with Reid.

Chad Henne and Matt Moore have started a handful of games (combined) in KC, but I certainly don’t think either of them performed better than Brees’ backups during relief/injury duty.

Last edited:
I don’t understand how that means “he was not a guru” though.

Even if you completely exclude Brees, Payton basically discovered Romo, and got the absolute best out of at least 3 other quarterbacks (meaning stats & wins). That’s a pretty good resume.

You seem to give more credit for less production to backup quarterbacks who have had to start for other teams, even while saying that Payton’s offense is the most difficult to get a handle on.

Yes, Payton missed on a 3rd, a 4th, and a 7th round qb draft picks. But that happens to every coach and gm. It is very hard to find a good mid-late round quarterback. I don’t think it means that coach is overrated with respect to that position.

Taysom won't have to take any snaps at QB to be our emergency 3rd string QB. He just has to make the team as a TE, which he will. We are so deep at DB and WR positions that there is no way we are going to carry 3 QBs on the roster.
Exactly. The ideal situation for preseason would be to play Dalton and Book and maybe Costello. Give Winston a series if he's healthy and with the first unit players.

Maybe the Saints can trade Book for a late rounder. I just don't see the need for him when Taysom Hill can be the emergency QB. Does any other team have an emergency QB who has actually started at the position, and won games at QB? This not the poor kid from Denver a few years ago; that's what an emergency QB looks like.

Sean didn't have draft failures, he drafted QBs that would be no threat to Drew. I think most Saints fans knew that already. Sean only attempted to draft a quality QB w/ Mahomes. But, Sean bragged on Mahomes so much, Andy stept in and drafted him one pick before us. Sean is a QB guru of gurus.

He has a winning record w/ 4 QBs. How many coaches don't have a winning record with any of their QBs. ICYMI (drafted by Sean) Chase Daniels has made more in NFL money than Tom Brady.

Last edited:
I think that he should be considered for a practice squad spot, unless someone better is available.

Whoever scouted Book outright failed. He doesn’t have NFL tools. Never did. He’s small, weak arm, inaccurate. His pocket presence is next level horrendous.
That's slightly too far. He's not inaccurate. He has inconsistent mechanics. He made some pretty good and well placed throws. But he does have a weak arm and doesn't trust the pocket or can't feel the rush at all.

I’ve said it for years. Sean wasn’t good at picking QBs. Everyone will say “what about drew” Drew was already a good starter. Name a QB that Sean has drafted or picked to develop that worked?
You are forgetting he wanted to draft Patrick Maholmes and Mac Jones. Clearly he saw something in them. Those other QBs he drafted were fliers. He was hoping they would turn out great but it's not easy to draft another Brees.

Soooo we're going to sit here and act like Taysom, Bridgewater, & Simean* won they the games they started? or was it the defense and a stout running game. Those QBs were asked to not lose it. That's why the productivity was down across the board. Hell even Winston was asked to not lose the games he started last year. That wont be the case for him this year because I highly doubt we can go 17 gms playing it safe.

Exactly. The ideal situation for preseason would be to play Dalton and Book and maybe Costello. Give Winston a series if he's healthy and with the first unit players.

Maybe the Saints can trade Book for a late rounder. I just don't see the need for him when Taysom Hill can be the emergency QB. Does any other team have an emergency QB who has actually started at the position, and won games at QB? This not the poor kid from Denver a few years ago; that's what an emergency QB looks like.
I'd think they'll try to keep Book on the PS.

If we reach a scenario where Taysom is the QB, Book gives a backup who knows the system.

You can’t keep saying let’s see him with this or that. That he looks bad because he has no protection.

He looks bad tripping from center. He looks bad fumbling the snap. He looks bad running from rushers. He looks bad passing. He looks bad. Period.
Why are people making excuses for him? We are all watching the same thing. He is in his 2nd year. He still looks like he just stepped off the rookie bus. No progress. He is not an NFL QB.
Was going to add at least he looks good getting tackled....but then i remembered he damn near got choke-slammed. He even regressed there.
Soooo we're going to sit here and act like Taysom, Bridgewater, & Simean* won they the games they started? or was it the defense and a stout running game. Those QBs were asked to not lose it. That's why the productivity was down across the board. Hell even Winston was asked to not lose the games he started last year. That wont be the case for him this year because I highly doubt we can go 17 gms playing it safe.
Ummm....Teddy balled the hell out against Tampa. If you ask me, i think his success and upward trajectory under CSP was the reason Drew rushed back

With Dalton on the team, I see Book heading for the practice squad.
I think they will keep him around on the Practice Squad this year as he at least knows the offense. In a pinch they have Hill to back up Winston and Dalton so I am not worried one bit about our QB room, assuming everyone stays relatively healthy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom