Ian Books future (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Talking to a friend inside the organization and I asked him if Book was a flop or if their is a chance for him to develop. He said the entire organization is high on the kid. Said he only played sparingly in Pre season because coaches saw enough in him that they didn’t want him to showcase a lot of what he has. Said extremely intelligent and has a great grasp of the offense. Not at the point where he can run every play but he is way ahead of schedule of where they thought he would be in making calls and reading the D. Said he thinks that by next season no matter what QB stays there will be a full fledged QB competition again. Said the saints want him stashed away until next year unless something goes really wrong this year, but feeling is he could play this year if needed. Again lots of excitement about this kids future. Last thing he has a direct line to Brees and uses it.

ABJ

Talking to a friend inside the organization and I asked him if Book was a flop or if their is a chance for him to develop. He said the entire organization is high on the kid. Said he only played sparingly in Pre season because coaches saw enough in him that they didn’t want him to showcase a lot of what he has. Said extremely intelligent and has a great grasp of the offense. Not at the point where he can run every play but he is way ahead of schedule of where they thought he would be in making calls and reading the D. Said he thinks that by next season no matter what QB stays there will be a full fledged QB competition again. Said the saints want him stashed away until next year unless something goes really wrong this year, but feeling is he could play this year if needed. Again lots of excitement about this kids future. Last thing he has a direct line to Brees and uses it.

I thought , when they expanded it, they could put a one time " protected player" status on any of the practice squad guys. Prevent a player from being snatched up by another team. Why I was curious, they kept him on the 53 man roster.

Man.....the only down side to him is his arm strength. If he has a stronger arm that can throw down the seam nicely and through tight window and a better threat to the deep balls then I would be all excited and not be looking further at the college prospects. I know it is preseason and one throw, but that one he had in the game was a little discouraging. Wished it travel a little further than that.

It would sure help our cap situation if we don't have to spend 20mil on a quarterback next year.
Right now not knowing what Book potential is, we probably will have to spend 20 mil or more for a quarterback. Unless we draft someone high.

Right now not knowing what Book potential is, we probably will have to spend 20 mil or more for a quarterback. Unless we draft someone high.

If the team is really that high on him, we aren't drafting a QB high. Sign a cheap vet to help/push him. Tyrod, Dalton, Fitzpatrick. You can get that for 5-10.

While Book would be good for the books, it would take time to build with him and thus waste valuable years of some our players careers like AK, MT & DD. I would prefer for him to backup for a few years so when he does take over the learning curve is minimized and we can maximize the talent on the team.

Future? I’d say a car salesman or Notre Dame color analyst within 4 years. Just my two cents but wth do I know after watching the offense the last month starting a couple undrafted players along with a guy that was playing water polo I mean rugby last year. Yes I’m well aware rugby is one rough sport and not comparing to water polo but after the giants loss I need to make myself laugh as I may be losing it on my 43rd bday. Halfway to the nuthouse lol

While Book would be good for the books, it would take time to build with him and thus waste valuable years of some our players careers like AK, MT & DD. I would prefer for him to backup for a few years so when he does take over the learning curve is minimized and we can maximize the talent on the team.
Depends. A lot of succeeding in the NFL is the knowledge of the system and reading defenses. Then using that to make good throws. IF he shows that, and if he looks like he can do the job, the Saints are bumped up against the cap to sign Winston to a contract he will deserve. Or, you can save money with Book, keep the line together. Go after talent to build around him. I’m not sure which way is better.

That’s consistent with what was said prior to cuts during preseason.

Said would have 4 QBs on roster and Book wasn’t a player they were willing to risk to waivers. It was rumored teams called about him as well prior to cuts.

Team should absolutely still draft a QB though

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom