Ian Books future (1 Viewer)

I don't understand how every Saints fan doesn't find it at least a little comforting to know that the team seems to be extremely high on the progression of the only QB who, at this point in time, is guaranteed to be back on the team next season. Like I said though, maybe the OP's information will turn out to be bunk. It just seems weird to think that the team is keeping four QBs on the 53-man roster this season because they want to make sure that "the next great Chase Daniel" doesn't get stolen from them.
If Book was a 4th round pick at any other position besides QB people would be excited about the report.

Last edited:
Sean has kept 4 QBs this season. Seems, he values all of them. He is carrying all 4 on the active roster. The fact that none are on the practice squad. Tells us Sean thinks, they would be taken pretty easily.

Does anyone think, that if Winston (30 + million per yr.) signs and stays with the Saints, and he will not be in a QB competition w/ Book? Why would Winston want to stick around and have any part of a competition, or mentoring his successor? Because Book sits maybe what,,,,,,1 yr!!! Why, would he want any part of that? When he can go to another team and be QB1, and sign for more money than the Saints are willing to offer.

Sean thought he had it all figured out, but Winston is playing way to good to possibly sign a team friendly deal. Things could change on the ground, with the way Jamies is playing. We could get lucky in the playoffs. Perhaps that would force Sean's hand, to sign Winston. I think Sean never intended to sign Winston beyond this year. Expecting, like Teddy. Winston would play well enough to garner too much interest, and sign elsewhere. But, Winston has already played well enough, that we will have to bid against more that a few QB needy teams. Why do you think Sean signed Jameis to a 1yr deal?

Book may prove me wrong but I see him as the second coming of Chase Daniels. Career backup, who can fill in if needed due to QB1 injury.
Of course, I was not thrilled about the Saints signing Drew Brees as a FA.
The bottom line is no one knows until Book actually steps on to the field in a regular season game. So far, his body of work in the NFL are a few series in preseason against backups.

Book may prove me wrong but I see him as the second coming of Chase Daniels. Career backup, who can fill in if needed due to QB1 injury.
Of course, I was not thrilled about the Saints signing Drew Brees as a FA.
The bottom line is no one knows until Book actually steps on to the field in a regular season game. So far, his body of work in the NFL are a few series in preseason against backups.
I don't see him as next years de facto starter QB1, but his pre season shows why he is on the active roster.

Cute. I'm glad you had time for that. I was defending our current starter just like I've defended other starters on this team (for example, the mob trying to ship MT off). There are components of this discussion I rather not get into because that's not the point of this forum.
In the case of this particular thread, I personally don't think Book is the option. That's not a bias but the notion that a 4th round QB (not Trevor, Justin, or Mac) who is not even getting 2nd team reps is the future, is farfetched to me. A lot of people seem to have thought Taysom was the better option but that crowd has been less vocal recently.
If you have been following my post I have noted that Jameis has a very high bar to clear, which is not unusual when replacing a HOF QB. There is nothing wrong with a fan wanting to see improvement at the position but at least mention a viable option like Russell or Aaron(although I don't like his personality). We have been lucky to have an entrenched starter for 15 years but on some teams, the backup is everyone's favorite. The QB position is different than all the other positions you referenced because if you don't get that right it's very hard to be an elite team, so you can't really compare that with the other position debates like Ruiz, Peat, TQS, etc.
My issue is that the guy has not completed a full season yet I see a lot of posters and media analysts who have labeled him as a poor decision maker and immature. I've seen some bad decisions but I see a young man doing everything in his power to get better as a person and a player, so when people fail to acknowledge the growth or that we still have 12 games left that seem like bias. Nevertheless, what we say on this board will have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not he is the long-term answer but we will debate these things until some type of verdict is reached. Right now we are 3-2 and we will see how this all plays out
Same group of people love Mahomes though. Baffles me.

I know right...love PM but dude is reckless as all hell with the football. It's cool now because they're winning and he can get away with it.

Goes back to Brett Favre, people loved it, called him a gunslinger, but somehow when JW makes an errant throw or tries to squeeze a ball in between defenders, its boneheaded....not sure why tho.

People love Mahomes because he has a flare for pulling off the impossible.
How many QBs can throw 30 yards into traffic with accuracy from the position below?
iu

Mahomes made an intentionally accurate pass from an absolutely way more ridiculous position, whereas Winston threw up a prayer that was, paraphrasing his own words, answered by God.
Got some news for you....they're all prayers, its just that JW was able to admit that it was one.

And people hate Jameis because he threw a TD from this position:

What is the difference?

Well Jameis admitted he was trying to throw it away. But if Jameis wins us the super bowl this year, people won't complain when he does it next year. Mahomes has skins on the wall with the Chiefs. But I bet Chiefs fans still didn't like it. Mahomes is having a really bad year. He had 6 picks all of last year. He has 8 already this year.

Got some news for you....they're all prayers, its just that JW was able to admit that it was one.
Not in this case. Mahomes saw the receiver and simply made an inhuman play. That's why so many people love him and think he is such a special QB.

Not in this case. Mahomes saw the receiver and simply made an inhuman play. That's why so many people love him and think he is such a special QB.
I think Lamar and Kyler have those types of arms (the ability to throw side-armed) and off balanced but it's rarely talked about.

And people hate Jameis because he threw a TD from this position:

1634743989066.png

What is the difference?
A better example would be the TD pass to Juwan Johnson against the Packers. He was being pulled down and threw a great pass. It was fourth down, so you don't want to take a sack.

The one against the Pats was an attempt (a failed one) to throw the ball away.

Last edited:
Talking to a friend inside the organization and I asked him if Book was a flop or if their is a chance for him to develop. He said the entire organization is high on the kid. Said he only played sparingly in Pre season because coaches saw enough in him that they didn’t want him to showcase a lot of what he has. Said extremely intelligent and has a great grasp of the offense. Not at the point where he can run every play but he is way ahead of schedule of where they thought he would be in making calls and reading the D. Said he thinks that by next season no matter what QB stays there will be a full fledged QB competition again. Said the saints want him stashed away until next year unless something goes really wrong this year, but feeling is he could play this year if needed. Again lots of excitement about this kids future. Last thing he has a direct line to Brees and uses it.
This was a GREAT thread started by the OP.

Today game (Jameis’ injury) shows the logic of the OP’s post. :scratch:

:gosaints:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom