Ian Books future (1 Viewer)

But that can't be an absolute and must have a cost factor attached to it. You aren't going to say, "Deshaun Watson is the best QB we can get, so let's pony up 5 future first-round draft picks for him," are you? And the more dire the salary cap situation is for a team, the more the financial factor has to come into play.

Of course and that’s why I included the market-value qualifier. I wasn’t implying that any price is justified. (It’s why I can’t get excited about the Russell Wilson fantasy, as great as it would be to get him).

If, by the end of the season, Payton believes Winston is the best option and right player to move forward with, I would expect the team to do what it can to make a long term commitment to him. I also would expect, if Winston feels good about the track he’s on, he’ll work to get a deal done here, too.

But this isn’t just about the specifics of Winston and the Saints, it’s the idea that teams don’t often let QBs get away if they believe the player is the future. It’s the most important position and the deals almost always get done.

Me too. Powerful arm is not at the top of the list for me pertaining to QB’s.

I think the problem, though, is this isn’t a binary classification; either a QB has a strong arm or he doesn’t.

Brady and Burrow are a couple of guys who have faced some criticism about arm strength, and while neither has a cannon, both have shown they can make every type of throw and possess a lot of arm talent. I also thought the concerns about Brees were exaggerated. He had plenty of velocity on his throws and got ample
distance going deep through most of his pro career. It’s undetermined if Book can throw at the same level as those QBs.

Hopefully it ends up being an exaggerated concern about Book and his arm isn’t a liability at this level.

Book's arm strength and his slow release (I'm basing that on video I've seen) could be a long term liability. But Brees improved both after becoming a pro. If Book can do the same, he could be outstanding.

In other words, Danny Werfel. He had absolutely everything you want in a QB with the exception of an arm.

Yeah. It’s less about whether a QB has a cannon, and rather if he has enough arm strength and talent to succeed in the NFL. Hopefully Book puts that concern to rest and his success is determined by what he can do and not prevented by physical limitations. Wuerffel, for all his other qualities, didn’t have the arm talent to be a long term starter in the NFL.

Couple of things to keep in mind about Book...

According to Loomis and Payton, multiple teams contacted the Saints in pre-season wanting to acquire Book. For a fourth round pick to garner that kind of attention? Something is there.

Payton kept Book on the final 53. A fourth round pick who is fourth on the QB depth chart was kept on the active 53... The ONLY reason anyone would do this is because they KNOW he's not making it through waivers and they value him enough to not risk it.

Next year's camp is going to be very interesting.

Oh I beg to differ. His record in college and in NFL Europe would attest. He actually shredded NFL Europe. He was as smart as they come.
I’m old and guess I misremember, as I watched every game he played (used to follow UT football)….I don’t remember him being as cerebral as Drew…..having said that tho there haven’t been too many as cerebral as Drew. Peyton would be the other football/progression genius imo.

I’m old and guess I misremember, as I watched every game he played (used to follow UT football)….I don’t remember him being as cerebral as Drew…..having said that tho there haven’t been too many as cerebral as Drew. Peyton would be the other football/progression genius imo.
I don't know if any are as cerebral as Drew but if any were he would likely be one of them. That is pretty much what anyone who ever coached him has said. Defensive backs who play on Sundays were simply too fast. He couldn't get it to the sidelines fast enough so corners always cheated inside and shrunk the field on him. Im not saying that will be the case for Ian but having enough arm is certainly a prerequisite for Sundays

I thought , when they expanded it, they could put a one time " protected player" status on any of the practice squad guys. Prevent a player from being snatched up by another team. Why I was curious, they kept him on the 53 man roster.
Simple. To get to the practice squad, he would have to go through waivers. This would expose Book to being picked up by any of the other 31 teams. The only way the Saint could guarantee not to lose him is to keep him on the 53.

SFIAH

Simple. To get to the practice squad, he would have to go through waivers. This would expose Book to being picked up by any of the other 31 teams. The only way the Saint could guarantee not to lose him is to keep him on the 53.

SFIAH
yea, he would have gotten a season ending ingrown toenail before that happened.

Defensive backs who play on Sundays were simply too fast. He couldn't get it to the sidelines fast enough so corners always cheated inside and shrunk the field on him. Im not saying that will be the case for Ian but having enough arm is certainly a prerequisite for Sundays

Yeah, those out routes are the real measure. Most NFL caliber prospects can get enough distance on deep throws to be effective, assuming a proficiency with timing and accuracy.

A 15 yard out is a tough throw that can actually cover quite a bit of distance, and has to be made with enough precision and velocity to beat coverage. A deep ball doesn’t have to be launched if it’s a well-timed and accurate throw, but that’s a lot riskier on an out, and can be the difference in a completion or a pick-six.

I’ve posted an article before that explains how velocity affects throwing windows. Intuitive sounding enough, but lack of velocity can make quite a difference in the time a DB has to react to the ball, and significantly shrink the target for the QB. Timing and accuracy can make up for this to a point, but lack enough arm strength, and the ability to be effective is seriously diminished.

I'm very curious about Book. I didn't like the pick during the draft. I've warmed up to it, a little.

Most of my concern is his height. Yeah, there have been very successful six-footers in the NFL - Brees, Wilson, Theisman, etc. but they're always playing with that disadvantage and needing windows to throw through. At best, I see a scrappy, move-the-chains Jeff Garcia-type player, Chase Daniel at worst. Is that good enough?

I'm very curious about Book. I didn't like the pick during the draft. I've warmed up to it, a little.

Most of my concern is his height. Yeah, there have been very successful six-footers in the NFL - Brees, Wilson, Theisman, etc. but they're always playing with that disadvantage and needing windows to throw through. At best, I see a scrappy, move-the-chains Jeff Garcia-type player, Chase Daniel at worst. Is that good enough?
I agree with all of this....why would you want or seek out a "shorter" QB to begin with? Then this one is not only short but doesn't have the Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson cannon to make up for it...so that's 2 strikes against him before he takes a single snap.

Me....personally, I want a blue QB that stands at 6'11" 260lbs that can run the 40 in 4.2 that can throw from his own 20 through the goalposts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom