Ian Books future (1 Viewer)

Doesn't the Saints organization say they are always high on X player? I think this is always their MO so I could easily see him gone soon as well. Hell, look at our current QB situation. It's a hot mess right now with the constant switching. At this rate, CSP will be rotating 3 QBs in a single game. If Winston doesn't pan out, our future QB is definitely NOT on this team.
Yeah I have never heard SP say, "I'm not high on this dude. Like, at all." SP will talk a guy up and then cut him later that day. Every QB SP has had was the truth according to him. Hell Taysom Hill was the second coming of Steve Young.

I'm very curious about Book. I didn't like the pick during the draft. I've warmed up to it, a little.

Most of my concern is his height. Yeah, there have been very successful six-footers in the NFL - Brees, Wilson, Theisman, etc. but they're always playing with that disadvantage and needing windows to throw through. At best, I see a scrappy, move-the-chains Jeff Garcia-type player, Chase Daniel at worst. Is that good enough?

I will say based on Payton's fourth round pick history, I would absolutely be sure to temper any expectations for Book.

Ian Book - TBD.
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - So far, a hit.
Rick Leonard - Bust.
David Onyemata - Hit.
Khairi Fortt - Bust.
Nick Toon - Bust.
Al Woods - Bust.
Chip Vaughn - Bust..
Stanley Arnoux - Bust.
Antonio Pittman - Bust.
Jermon Bushrod - Hit.
Jahri Evans - Legendary.

I'm very curious about Book. I didn't like the pick during the draft. I've warmed up to it, a little.

Most of my concern is his height. Yeah, there have been very successful six-footers in the NFL - Brees, Wilson, Theisman, etc. but they're always playing with that disadvantage and needing windows to throw through. At best, I see a scrappy, move-the-chains Jeff Garcia-type player, Chase Daniel at worst. Is that good enough?

Hadn’t thought of the Garcia comparison but makes sense as a reference point in trying to visualize a realistic ceiling. Similar size and arm concerns. Garcia developed into a capable starter on a journeyman track. Of course that isn’t to say Book can’t / won’t exceed whatever expectations and limitations are being put on him.

Book’s height isn’t ideal, but I guess I worry less about that because he is athletic and moves well outside of the pocket. Similar to how Wilson and Murray use mobility to their advantage, but both also have notably stronger arms to get them out of trouble or make downfield plays on the run.

Talking to a friend inside the organization and I asked him if Book was a flop or if their is a chance for him to develop. He said the entire organization is high on the kid. Said he only played sparingly in Pre season because coaches saw enough in him that they didn’t want him to showcase a lot of what he has. Said extremely intelligent and has a great grasp of the offense. Not at the point where he can run every play but he is way ahead of schedule of where they thought he would be in making calls and reading the D. Said he thinks that by next season no matter what QB stays there will be a full fledged QB competition again. Said the saints want him stashed away until next year unless something goes really wrong this year, but feeling is he could play this year if needed. Again lots of excitement about this kids future. Last thing he has a direct line to Brees and uses it.
I sure like that last part! ;)

I will say based on Payton's fourth round pick history, I would absolutely be sure to temper any expectations for Book.

Ian Book - TBD.
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - So far, a hit.
Rick Leonard - Bust.
David Onyemata - Hit.
Khairi Fortt - Bust.
Nick Toon - Bust.
Al Woods - Bust.
Chip Vaughn - Bust..
Stanley Arnoux - Bust.
Antonio Pittman - Bust.
Jermon Bushrod - Hit.
Jahri Evans - Legendary.
Right, but if you apply the Jeff Ireland cutoff factor, you are left with a more promising looking 2 for 3 so far...

Ian Book - TBD
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - So far, a hit
Rick Leonard - Bust
David Onyemata - Hit

Note: I'm not saying it's a bad idea to temper expectations.

Book being successful is a loooooooooong shot.

For me it all comes down to, does he have an NFL arm to make all the throws in this offense. Other than that, he checks all the other boxes for me. He really looked great running Sean's offense. Though still raw and making mistakes, but looked good doing it.

Right, but if you apply the Jeff Ireland cutoff factor, you are left with a more promising looking 2 for 3 so far...

Ian Book - TBD
Rick Leonard - Bust
David Onyemata - Hit

I actually am on Team Book, I think he has a real chance to be a pro and by being a fourth round pick there is no actual pressure for him to do anything more than learn. He gets to develop under no pressure, something quite a few QBs in the league don't benefit from right now.

I actually am on Team Book, I think he has a real chance to be a pro and by being a fourth round pick there is no actual pressure for him to do anything more than learn. He gets to develop under no pressure, something quite a few QBs in the league don't benefit from right now.
I’m with you… Book has something about him. I think he gets a shot at the job in the next couple seasons.

I’d be surprised if his floor isn’t at least a career backup like Chase Daniel… with a ceiling like Cousins or prime Tony Romo.

You don't understand how Book beating Bryce Thompson on a throw in practice doesn't equate to him making a throw against a top corner in a real game when the defense has schemed to beat him?
Does Ian Book not also complete passes against Marshon Lattimore, Malcolm Jenkins, Williams, CGJ, Demario Davis all with pressure from guys like Jordan, Davenport, Onyemotta, Granderson etc?

Does Ian Book not also complete passes against Marshon Lattimore, Malcolm Jenkins, Williams, CGJ, Demario Davis all with pressure from guys like Jordan, Davenport, Onyemotta, Granderson etc?
Nope. You think he's getting 1st team reps consistently? Also that's not really live bullets either. And it's the same defense everyday.

Nope. You think he's getting 1st team reps consistently? Also that's not really live bullets either. And it's the same defense everyday.
Goes back to my point. No player got consistent first team reps coming into the league, but there productive starters. It's how development works.

You practice the way you play, so yes those are "live bullets". Not the practice in shell videos you may be referring to but the padded practices where the QB's have on red jerseys (because no QB gets touched in practice).

Ian Book - TBD
Rick Leonard - Bust
David Onyemata - Hit

Why is ‘so far’ next to CGJ like he’s going to take a step back? He’s a stronger hit than Onyemata and arguably the most impactful player on defense since his rookie season for what CGJ provides as a blitzer, run stopper, and in intermediate coverage.

I hope CSP goes dumpster diving.

Drew Brees - 4 years
Tom Brady - 4 years
Peyton Manning - 4 years
Eli Manning - 4 years
Brett Favre - 4 years
Russell Wilson - 4 years
Baker Mayfield - 5 years (played 4/transfer)
Matt Ryan - 4 years
Philip Rivers - 4 years
John Elway - 4 years
Carson Palmer - 5 years
Joe Burrow - 5 years (played 2 full and a few games in 2 others/transfer)
Patrick Mahomes - 3 years
Ben Roethlisberger - 3 years
Steve Young - 3 years
Deshaun Watson - 3 years
Trevor Lawrence - 3 years
Kyler Murray - 4 years (played 3/transfer)
BOOM! Great research!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom