Ian Rapoport explains Broncos are focusing on Sean Payton, Shraeger says Payton is still up for a job (Denver media believes Payton deal is TBA soon) (2 Viewers)

SonOfNOLA

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Link to audio of KOA 850 AM’s podcast with Rapoport; Rapoport explaining the Broncos are focusing on Sean Payton:

Discussion between 4:33 - 8:26 timestamps:

Host: “So with the names, and you reported that Jim Caldwell, Raheem Morris, David Shaw, Ejiro Evero were knocked out of contention. As we sit here tonight, what names are you hearing that the Broncos, in fact, may be, not only interested in talking to, but may, in fact, be interested in hiring?”

Rapoport: “They never told Sean Payton that they were going in a different direction. So, theoretically, he would still be in the mix. Most of the other candidates probably have been informed, in some form or fashion, like ‘hey we really like you, but we might be going somewhere else.’ Let me say this. I was not told that Payton was informed that [the Broncos] were going somewhere else [on Payton]. That’s kind of the only one that they never got fully wrapped up with. It does make you think it is still theoretically possible. I wouldn’t rule anything out. Especially when it comes to coaching searches, where it’s like, either you get The Guy or you don’t. And if you don’t have one, you still need one.”

Host: “Certainly. You even pointed out in your report saying it’s possible the Broncos look to expand the search. And maybe include Jonathan Gannon, who of course they can’t interview until after the Super Bowl now. Or maybe offensive coordinator Brian Callahan. So where we sit right now, as it relates to the Broncos and their search, it’s been pretty quiet. And yet, we see the Arizona Cardinals reaching out to all of these guys today, including Mike Kafka. So what does that mean, as far as it relates to how the Broncos are handling this, in your opinion?”

Rapoport: “It makes you think that, as of right now, either they don’t feel the urgency to go get someone or they’re focused on something else. The Cardinals are clearly focused on other candidates. They’re interviewing 3 of them over the course of the next week. As far as I know, and we’ll see, I don’t know that Denver is currently focused on… I do know which candidate that Denver is currently focused on. So maybe they’re focused on someone that they already have. Maybe they’re still trying to make it work. Usually you can sort of read the tea leaves on this thing. Either it goes quiet and you like ok, well, something is probably happening. But that’s why coaching searches are so maddening because there’s no immediate answers on anything.”

Host: “Every time we start talking about this, at the conclusion of all conversations, we’re left trying to figure out why not now, why is it taken so long. Do you have any inkling on why it really has taken so long? Is it just that we are just after Jim Harbaugh and that’s what’s taken so long? We’ve exhausted all avenues with Jim Harbaugh? We just can’t understand we had a two week head start on the rest of the coaching positions that were out there. It just doesn’t make much sense to us at this point.”

Rapoport: “I would agree. I wouldn’t disagree, I wouldn’t argue. I would say you had a head start. The problem is, Denver, specifically, was shooting big with 3 candidates who were top candidates for a lot of people. If you’re going to shoot big, if you’re going to swing big, if you’re going to try to get the top-top-top, you might not get them. A lot of people have probably tried to get Jim Harbaugh and didn’t get him, and he goes back to Michigan. Ok, well you’re back to square one. Dan Quinn pulled out from everyone, wasn’t just the Broncos. Or you can say alright we’ll just go through the pool of 10. We’ll interview 2 for a second interview and we’ll just pick one. Make it a little easier. Denver does appear to be focused on a big, big, big candidate and maybe that’s taking a little more time, regardless of the head start you had.”

7BE46482-2F7D-421D-99A7-C7C9E317D75C.jpeg

Last edited:
Peter Shraeger, who works with Payton on Sunday, was talking this morning on NFL about max contracts for Qbs, and suddenly he said that Sean Payton "is still very much alive for some head coaching jobs". He said "just wait".

Shraeger we know, is getting information directly from the source.

Peter Shraeger, who works with Payton on Sunday, was talking this morning on NFL about max contracts for Qbs, and suddenly he said that Sean Payton "is still very much alive for some head coaching jobs". He said "just wait".

Shraeger we know, is getting information directly from the source.

This is embarrassing for Denver.
They are supposed to be one of the most stable and thoughtful franchises.
Yet, they’re having a coaching search that is about as dysfunctional as the Texans.
To be fair to the Broncos, other teams have performed a more structured coaching search, and came away with crap head coaching hires.

I have no idea what to think at the moment except that team Payton is trying to shape the coaching-search narrative and that there is a good chance that Payton will not be coaching anywhere. Someone made the point yesterday that we see stories that the problem for Payton is how much draft compensation the Saints want, but not stories that Payton wants a huge contract or wants power that the current general manager has.

The number of head-coach openings this year was historically small. Carolina has named its new coach, Indianapolis has never shown interest in Payton, and Houston showed only limited interest and is about to hire its new coach. It seems Arizona is moving on from Payton--it just hired a new general manager. Denver remains, and I am not sure what is happening there. There was the strange story last week that Payton was concerned about the stability of Denver's ownership, which Payton quickly denied, which Payton would have had no reason to leak, but which someone planted. David Shaw was a hot name a few years ago, but what happened to him. He was then looked at as someone who would coach Stanford for decades. It is hard to see the Broncos hiring as their new coach someone who just resigned after several losing seasons at Stanford.

I would not think the negotiations between the Saints and any team wanting to hire Payton would be lengthy because I would think the ceiling and floor would have quickly established, the gap between the two is not huge, and information about any impasse would be quickly leaked by someone.

Its all about compensation. Paytons salary and what Denver has to give up to get his release from the Saints. IMO I think it's coming down to a max contract and compensation to the Saints over multiple years since they lack the picks the Saints are seeking this draft.
Payton wants a QB and I think he values Russ.

If Payton gets hired and the Saints get at least a #1 pick+ in 2023 or 2024, then it's a happy ending for the Saints.

But until that happens, this is really embarrassing for:

1. Sean Payton and his fat ego. No Sean, your legendary reputation just doesn't measure up to the total price for you. Plus, it makes fans like me finally buy the narrative that that you quit on the Saints, when you made us feel that you were loyal and happily connected to Gayle Benson for the long-term.

2. Condi Rice. Sorry new Broncos co-owner. It looks like no one wants sleepy long-in-the-tooth Stanford David Shaw. And then there's your other Stanford BFF ya'll keep prostituting yourself for...

3. Jim Harbaugh. Oh, poor Jimmy. You've restored Michigan to relevancy, but now you have a cloud of level 2 recruiting violations and the implication that you lied to NCAA investigators. If you bolt for the Broncos, you basically admit your guilt.

4. Mickey Loomis. Mickey, your longtime star may be fading, with cap hell, the Dennisball hire, and the Ceedy bungle resulting in a crappy football team. Fail to get the draft capital from Payton, one more crappy season and you may need to fire up your black and golden parachute outta here. Hey, with close friends like Sean Payton, who needs enemies?

5. Russell Wilson. They sold all the farms for you, and you look like Russell Westbrook.

6. Pete Carmichael. Sure looks like you can't hygiene yourself without Sean.

Who else?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom