Ian Rapoport explains Broncos are focusing on Sean Payton, Shraeger says Payton is still up for a job (Denver media believes Payton deal is TBA soon) (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't be worried about settling. Denver's on the ropes. They know they need to make a splash hire and Harbaugh doesn't want them. All their other options are trash.

At this point, we may need to settle for that late 1st rounder plus multiple -2-3 rounders.
We need depth for sure. Build that depth this year. Who knows, maybe we're targeting Carr as our QB.
Our #1 focus should be getting a young QB to lead this team for years to come. Payton's contract is really the only asset we have to assist in that goal. A few 2nds or 3rds isn't going to do it. If it is Denver, they need to get the 1st next year. not this year.

I wouldn't be worried about settling. Denver's on the ropes. They know they need to make a splash hire and Harbaugh doesn't want them. All their other options are trash.

I think this might be a situation where we can extract more from Denver. Their fans are now expecting a "big, big, big" hire. That's Payton or Harbaugh. Harbaugh is out. Their second tier guys are out. No way they can sell a third tier hire to their fan base...and their quarterback.

The elephant in the room though, is that Payton isnt any good at the Fox gig. I dont think theyll move him into the JJ chair - I think theyd sooner send him on his way like NBC did Brees than try to force a square peg in a round hole. It is uncomfortable watching him on Fox, he just seems completely out of his element. He knows the sideline in his spot as well as anyone.
I knew that Brees and Payton would fail in being commentators. If I didn’t enjoy Payton’s press conferences, then why would I want to watch him as a commentator. Brees is a great dude, and very smart…but you have to be dynamic as a good commentator. Cam Jordan is the prince that was promised.

Our #1 focus should be getting a young QB to lead this team for years to come. Payton's contract is really the only asset we have to assist in that goal. A few 2nds or 3rds isn't going to do it. If it is Denver, they need to get the 1st next year. not this year.
Here's what I'm feeling: get the 1st next year after Allen and Carmichael are gone. Let the new regime pick a QB of the future in that draft.

I’m actually surprised SP is still interested in the Broncos at this point. This narrative that the Broncos don’t really want SP, that he’s their 4th or 5th choice, that SP interviewed badly etc seems like a pretty big ego bruise. Regardless of whether any of that is true, it’s now the public perception. If he takes the job there’s gonna have to be so much talk from both sides to convince everyone that SP was always their first choice.
@guillermo is right on upthread.

Sean Payton knows that this is the way the game is played. The Broncos can't publicly commit to him as "their guy" while they're still negotiating with both Payton himself (for contract terms with Denver) and Mickey Loomis (for Payton's Saints contract release).

The alternative is what we're seeing now -- to be publicly cool with Payton. Make him seem like Payton is only one among many candidates -- that "we could go another way at any point!"

A lot of what we're reading on Twitter from the Denver media are either intentional leaks from the Broncos themselves, or else media content to carry water for the Broncos' front office in exchange for access.

I knew that Brees and Payton would fail in being commentators. If I didn’t enjoy Payton’s press conferences, then why would I want to watch him as a commentator. Brees is a great dude, and very smart…but you have to be dynamic as a good commentator. Cam Jordan is the prince that was promised.
You nailed it. You have to have that IT factor when it comes to broadcasting.....unfortunately Brees and Payton don't have it.
He needs to take that Denver gig.

And this is exactly why it was always the right move for Loomis to make big trade demands from the outset. You can always settle for less if the market doesn't exist, but you need to start high on the chance that a team will be desperate enough to pay the asking price. It's looking good for the Saints right now, but we'll have to wait and see how it all turns out.

And this is exactly why it was always the right move for Loomis to make big trade demands from the outset. You can always settle for less if the market doesn't exist, but you need to start high on the chance that a team will be desperate enough to pay the asking price. It's looking good for the Saints right now, but we'll have to wait and see how it all turns out.

Right. And you are also pushing 2 potential parties on the same side towards caving. This isnt a Loomis vs Denver. This is Loomis vs Denver and an interested party in Payton.

If Payton has decided he wants the Broncos and the Broncos are set on Payton - and the Broncos are pushing back against the demands - both parties get more desperate - Payton is going to signal to give them more if its going to be his team anyway. He can deal with the draft losses on the other side of the door. Id think once Payton and the Broncos are clear on eachother, thats when Loomis really has them by the pears.

And Loomis can just as soon wait till next year if he pushes it too far. This is a soap opera in its purest form.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom