Ian Rapoport: Sean may not have a team lined up. (1 Viewer)

Guess I should have been more specific that I didn't mean the lowest point in franchise history and just a regular low point that happens after your HOF qb retires and your salary cap pigeons come home to roost
But even then, he stayed for sixteen years, except for BB, Tomlin and Harbaugh; you have to go back to the Landry, Halas, or Grant to find a coach that stayed that long with the same team.

Slander?? Don't get me wrong SP brought some great years and great memories but he also quit on the team when it was at its lowest poin.

And its his prerogative he'd been here long enough he doesn't owe the saints anything if he wants to move on, but saints fans don't him our undying loyalty either
I beg to differ on the 2nd part. He colluded with Miami while under to contract to try to get out of his contract. (that cost Miami a 1st in this next draft for tampering). The next year he "retires" to get out of his contract. He absolutely owes the Saints!

Slander?? Don't get me wrong SP brought some great years and great memories but he also quit on the team when it was at its lowest poin.

Lowest point? He resigned and handed off a team that still had a competitive level of talent.

This was always going to end one of three ways:

- He would only ever coach the Saints until he was ready to retire completely from coaching (He was 42 when he was hired). That’s an unrealistic expectation.

-He resigned “quit”

-He stayed too long and got fired

He has a huge ego and I think he saw himself in the image of another Parcells except Parcells had 3 Super Bowl appearances with 2 different teams and 2 championships. Payton had a HOF, once in a generation QB for 15 years and only got to the big game once. He definitely overplayed his hand.
Didn't know Parcell went to 3 SB.

I beg to differ on the 2nd part. He colluded with Miami while under to contract to try to get out of his contract. (that cost Miami a 1st in this next draft for tampering). The next year he "retires" to get out of his contract. He absolutely owes the Saints!
You're absolutely right. I guess I meant he doesn't owe saints fans anything. He definitely owes the organization as he's still under contract.

Lowest point? He resigned and handed off a team that still had a competitive level of talent.

This was always going to end one of three ways:

- He would only ever coach the Saints until he was ready to retire completely from coaching (He was 42 when he was hired). That’s an unrealistic expectation.

-He resigned “quit”

-He stayed too long and got fired

It seems to me people overestimated the strength of the roster this year. It seems like high expectations were a big reason why the frustration level was so high with the way this season unfolded. Vegas had the saints win total over under at 7.5, seems like they knew something!

I’m betting this is all CSP smoke… we already saw a report that the Bronco’s job is his, he has a 2nd interview and they’re all acting like no one wants Sean…

All designed to make Loomis blink.

He’s not even that good in the studio imho… he can go back if he wants.

This screams of Payton trying to re-establish some leverage. He is probably leaking this to lower the return on a trade. Stand firm, Mickey.

Three things. First, about 15 minutes ago on Sirius NFL, Pat Kirwan repeated that his advice to Payton would be that all of the jobs open are lousy and wait for 2024.

Second, I suspect that team Payton is engineering half of what we read.

Three, Sean wants a good owner and general manager, a huge contract, a team he can win with, and power over personnel. And he needs to find team that will give the Saints draft compensation. Not many teams fall in that category.

This has all the earmarks of a Sean Payton disinformation campaign. Loomis better be willing to wait him out.

We went from Denver wants Payton to be their HC and it’s his decision to make, to Payton doesn’t have any teams or second interviews lined up and likely staying at FOX. The report prior to Denver wanting him stated that he had a second interview scheduled with Denver.

I think the next report update will be announcing his HC hire with his new team.

Well, it was reported that the Broncos job is already his… so maybe technically he didn’t get a 2nd interview but he didn’t need a 2nd interview to get the job

My opinion is that Sean Payton doesn't need a second interview with Denver because they have basically agreed to what he wants and he has basically agreed to take the job.

These "reports" have ALL the ear markings of a Payton disinformation campaign to get Loomis to lower any incoming demands for draft picks.

Sean Payton has an "acceptable" job as a Head Coach right now with Denver. Wilson has lots of talent, he had a bad year with a new team, but I don't know if he has "lost it" physically at this point. I would rather have Wilson in 2023 and 2024 than a total unknown rookie drafted at the end of round one. (The anomaly of Mr. Irrelevant this year is absolutely a one in a hundred type of thing on a team that is LOADED with talent and a coach who seems to win with almost any QB.)

Loomis needs to just wait it out and hold to a 1st and 3rd in 2023 and a 1st in 2024 from Denver. Sean Payton is the ONLY legitimate chance that Denver has to compete in the AFC West in the next five years. They have an owner with the deepest pockets in the NFL, he will get what he wants, and that is ATTENTION. You don't buy an NFL team unless you want your ego stroked. Just look at JJ in Dallas. these new guys are 99% egomaniacs with massive money.

Sean Payton has to know that the jobs that open at the end of the 2023 and 2024 seasons may not be any better than what is open now. Jets, Lions, Falcons, Browns on lines one, two three and four Mr. Payton......sorry, I'm in Cabo.

Last edited:
It seems to me people overestimated the strength of the roster this year. It seems like high expectations were a big reason why the frustration level was so high with the way this season unfolded. Vegas had the saints win total over under at 7.5, seems like they knew something!

No, I don’t think that’s the issue in this line of discussion. You described it as the “lowest point” and while it could accurately be described as an uncertain point, or transition point, hardly the lowest, not even within the Payton era. He handed over a 9 win team to a coach a lot of people are understandably down on and he only finished 2 games behind his predecessor. This team has been in much worse shape and experienced much lower points.

Either you thought Payton should never eventually want to pursue other coaching opportunities or you understand he was going to eventually “quit” or get fired. That was my point. Leaving, however it happened, was inevitable and the timing and circumstances were never likely going to feel right to fans.

2x 1sts
2x 2nds

Or nuttin at all....dats it!

Loomis blows this trade and the city gon turn on him real quick. He can play round if he want to....aint gon be no bags on heads this time round.

The fans are tired...esp we still support after the NO CALL which I still feel like the players aint geaux at Goodell neck enough.

No, I don’t think that’s the issue in this line of discussion. You described it as the “lowest point” and while it could accurately be described as an uncertain point, or transition point, hardly the lowest, not even within the Payton era. He handed over a 9 win team to a coach a lot of people are understandably down on and he only finished 2 games behind his predecessor. This team has been in much worse shape and experienced much lower points.

Either you thought Payton should never eventually want to pursue other coaching opportunities or you understand he was going to eventually “quit” or get fired. That was my point. Leaving, however it happened, was inevitable and the timing and circumstances were never likely going to feel right to fans.
I agree with a lot of what you say. There probably is no right time to move on that would sit well with everyone. It's just my opinion he saw the writing on the wall and that we were due for a reset/rebuild and decided it was the right time to call it quits and that just doesn't sit well with me. Like I said I think he's a good/great coach and I enjoyed all the years he was here but I want to get what we can from him and wish him no success going forward

I agree with a lot of what you say. There probably is no right time to move on that would sit well with everyone. It's just my opinion he saw the writing on the wall and that we were due for a reset/rebuild and decided it was the right time to call it quits and that just doesn't sit well with me. Like I said I think he's a good/great coach and I enjoyed all the years he was here but I want to get what we can from him and wish him no success going forward

I understand the feeling but after being here sixteen years, overseeing a rebuild (or however anybody wants to phrase it) was too much to expect. I had it in the back of my mind for awhile that the Saints tenures for Brees and Payton would likely conclude very closely together. If anything, it feels like to me we got an unexpected season out of Payton.

Analyst makes some good points, I never realized he and McCarthy were on par. Like what he did for us but in the end he quit, which rubs me raw, than you look at those four 7-9 seasons and one 8-8 season, all the rest were above 500 with the one superbowl win, other than being robbed of one trip, we were set up for failure many times.
Agreed. SP couldn’t get a good defense for drew.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom