Iced Tea (1 Viewer)

I always loved Pepsi, Vanilla Coke, Surge, Winn Dixie Chek, etc.

Does anyone remember Sobe Mr. Green? Early 2000's I believe. It was their attempt at Dr. Pepper that got phased out. I always remember it being pretty good.

I used to drink Barq's when I was younger. Now, the big brand stuff is just too full of high-fructose corn syrup, I try to avoid it.

These days I pick up a 4-pack of Virgil's every now and then. Drink over ice - that's essential for me. Something about the way the ice makes the root beer fizz, and cuts that sweet edge just a tad.

I need to try a nicer root beer, then. I have never really tried another brand other than the main ones.

Right now, I am really digging the Barq's Spiced Cherry. It's very good - the flavor additive isn't like cough sryup like a lot of these typically are.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 9.45.40 AM.png

A&W still holds a space in my heart because when I was a kid, there was still an A&W drive up in Monroe. I never did many things with both my parents at the same time but my dad took us both there once. It was the first time I experienced a frosty mug, curly fries, trays hanging on windows or wait staff on roller skates. Now a days, Sonic has made all of that a disappointing experience but as a kid it was super cool.

Now the drink itself, yea A&W is pretty bad. Way to sweet.

A&W still holds a space in my heart because when I was a kid, there was still an A&W drive up in Monroe. I never did many things with both my parents at the same time but my dad took us both there once. It was the first time I experienced a frosty mug, curly fries, trays hanging on windows or wait staff on roller skates. Now a days, Sonic has made all of that a disappointing experience but as a kid it was super cool.

the A&W description reminds me of a passage from one of the best short stories I have ever read, Tim O'Brien's "Speaking of Courage" from The Things they Carried - a collection of Vietnam War short stories by a veteran. In this one, a solider returns to his hometown after being in the war and he's lost. He drives around and around a lake at a 4th of July celebration, trying to re-connect and re-acclimate.

This short story is incredibly structured and this failed exchange is a climax:

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 10.53.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 10.54.47 AM.png

Very nice. One of the most awesome gifts is that literature allows things to live on. Since it can also attach emotions For those that never experienced things it’s better than pics and videos in that regard.

that’s why I love Ann Rice Books set in NOLA. She is fantastic at capturing the emotions she experienced growing up here. The Witching Hour is what I’m primarily speaking of.

I’m sure there is Ice Tea to be had somewhere in these stories. My apologies to the OP

Oh, and Delaware Punch. That was a *GREAT* drink. I'd get it from Weingarten's when my grandmother worked in the bakery. They carried it in the Coke machine.
Amen! I cannot pass up Delaware Punch. Whenever I see it in a store, I either pickup a can or a 2 liter (if it's available). It seems like I have to head to a "neighborhood" store to get it though.

i loved their hotdogs

i loved their hotdogs

I can't say that I remember eating any food other than the curly fries. It was a late night spontaneous trip. It s a shame drive ups just went away and left a shell of themselves in Sonic. You watch a movie like American Graffiti and you realize what a huge deal they were for America in their heyday. When I got my first car all the kids were going to the boat launch by the Lakefront. Or the Fly. You can't tell me it wouldn't have been better to have a good drive up to go hang out at lol But then again, maybe groups making minimal purchases is what killed it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom