Icing the Kicker (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
I noticed Sean did it right before the kick to win it for the Chargers do any of you know the statistics behind it? Is it better to ice the kicker than not calling a time out?

I see it work quite often after a time out. I was actually happy he did it I mean you can't take the time outs with you.

Poison

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I feel like it works best if you get the timeout in before they snap the ball.
What’s the rule if the timeout is called and then the kicking team snaps the ball and the kicker gets a practice shot anyway? Is there any sort of penalty which applies in that situation? If not, I’d be telling my teammates to snap it anyway and give me a practice shot (probably doesn’t matter so much indoors but outdoors it would be invaluable to get a proper read on the conditions).

NativeFan

Reaction score
To me, icing the kicker is unsportsmanlike conduct. Just play.
Could you explain that reasoning a bit to me? Time outs belong to the teams. If you start dictating when and how you get to use them....that starts a pretty slippery slope.

CTSaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
It works best if the guy doesn't get a practice/mulligan kick, which thankfully was the case
Yup, Falcons old kicker Matt something-or-other used to do it all the time. In fact, i remember a game when he did it vs Seattle & Pete Carroll was livid on the sideline cuz Matt practice/mulligan the kick after the TO. Falcons won the game.

Sumdude34

All-Pro
Reaction score
Sean hasn't done it in a while. I think the kicker matters. You wouldn't bother doing it to Justin Tucker. Just focus on the block. We saw Butker hit 3 straight 58 yarder for the win a few weeks ago after penalties and being iced.

I think Sean knew they had a shaky kicker who was thinking about it. Took his chance to make him even more nervous.

NeverGiveUP2

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think it is a head game. I think the kicker is thinking "he is going to call a time out" I'd make a big splash by running to the ref ... whisper "I am NOT calling a TO" and have the kicker thinking he is....

NeverGiveUP2

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Yup, Falcons old kicker Matt something-or-other used to do it all the time. In fact, i remember a game when he did it vs Seattle & Pete Carroll was livid on the sideline cuz Matt practice/mulligan the kick after the TO. Falcons won the game.
That must have been a LONG time ago.... The Failed Ones dont win many games these days

AARPSaint

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What if there were an injury to a defensive player? There has to be a timeout. If you outlaw a timeout, players will start flopping. That said, I agree that icing the kicker is ***********. It rarely works, but it did this time. :D

Nolan

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I like icing the kicker so long as you do it early enough that he can't get off a practice kick.

LUX

Ride til I die!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think it works well because before the kicker goes on the field, he starts to get ready to kick. When on the field, seconds are going by and then a timeout and the kicker is still standing there and I think it adds more pressure to kick. Not to mention getting a good snap and hold on the ball.

Nolan

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I think it works well because before the kicker goes on the field, he starts to get ready to kick. When on the field, seconds are going by and then a timeout and the kicker is still standing there and I think it adds more pressure to kick. Not to mention getting a good snap and hold on the ball.
Yeah I think it's important to do it early.. I think doing it right as they're about to snap it is pointless because it ends up helping him by getting a free kick.

ilvdsnts

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah I think it's important to do it early.. I think doing it right as they're about to snap it is pointless because it ends up helping him by getting a free kick.
I think you should do it late enough to allow the practice kick. He probably initially goes out with his favorite kicking ball, once he kicks it for the practice, he's not getting it back and has to kick a different ball than the one he wanted.

Last edited:

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score
I saw Matt Bryant tweet about the missed kick Monday. He said, the kicker is young and doesn’t realize that when they ice, you should still do the practice kick to break the tension and make corrections to anything on your approach. He basically implied that the refs try to discourage it but you do it anyway.

LiterOCola

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kicker that just missed the kick for Arizona... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4