Icing the Kicker (1 Viewer)

I noticed Sean did it right before the kick to win it for the Chargers do any of you know the statistics behind it? Is it better to ice the kicker than not calling a time out?

I see it work quite often after a time out. I was actually happy he did it I mean you can't take the time outs with you.

Hey Longhorn! Sorry about that loss to OU. That was a great game but a brutal loss. I think my son is still depressed.

I know in the Snow Bowl playoff game in 01 between NE and OAK, the Pats said they were thrilled the Raiders called timeout to ice Vinatieri b/c it let them clear the snow away from the spot where Vinatieri was kicking.

I know in the Snow Bowl playoff game in 01 between NE and OAK, the Pats said they were thrilled the Raiders called timeout to ice Vinatieri b/c it let them clear the snow away from the spot where Vinatieri was kicking.

Everyone talks about the tuck rule screwing the Raiders over and maybe rightfully so but Adam only had to make probably the hardest kick in the history of the NFL and he nailed it.

Could you explain that reasoning a bit to me? Time outs belong to the teams. If you start dictating when and how you get to use them....that starts a pretty slippery slope.

Well right now you can’t do it twice in a row... or else it’s a penalty.

I think the rule is fine as it is.

I noticed Sean did it right before the kick to win it for the Chargers do any of you know the statistics behind it? Is it better to ice the kicker than not calling a time out?

I see it work quite often after a time out. I was actually happy he did it I mean you can't take the time outs with you.
How many times has Sean called timeout just as ball was about to be snapped only to watch the kicker miss it, and then he makes the redo?

Seems like that definitely happened vs Atlanta one time, and probably on at least 2 other occasions.

Yup, Falcons old kicker Matt something-or-other used to do it all the time. In fact, i remember a game when he did it vs Seattle & Pete Carroll was livid on the sideline cuz Matt practice/mulligan the kick after the TO. Falcons won the game.
Matt Bryant was his name. He actually was a very good, highly accurate PK who had a long, successful career with NYG, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and finally the Atlanta Falcons.

Bryant was the NYG kicker in 2002 who was apart of the now-infamous 2002 WC playoff game between the Giants vs. 49ers where the Giants LS did a low snap, the Giants backup-QB ran to the side of the field threw the ball downfield and one of the Giants eligible O-linemen was knocked down around the area where the ball fell to the ground by a member of SF's special teams. Obvious pass interference call. Except it never got called. Game over.

Matt Bryant was his name. He actually was a very good, highly accurate PK who had a long, successful career with NYG, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and finally the Atlanta Falcons.

Bryant was the NYG kicker in 2002 who was apart of the now-infamous 2002 WC playoff game between the Giants vs. 49ers where the Giants LS did a low snap, the Giants backup-QB ran to the side of the field threw the ball downfield and one of the Giants eligible O-linemen was knocked down around the area where the ball fell to the ground by a member of SF's special teams. Obvious pass interference call. Except it never got called. Game over.

Besides being on the Falcon and Bucs, I also remember him losing a newborn to SIDS.

It was really tough to root against him after that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom