Icing the Kicker (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I noticed Sean did it right before the kick to win it for the Chargers do any of you know the statistics behind it? Is it better to ice the kicker than not calling a time out?

I see it work quite often after a time out. I was actually happy he did it I mean you can't take the time outs with you.

To me, icing the kicker is unsportsmanlike conduct. Just play.

But if you have the time out than you should have the right to use it during a live game. I mean it has happened to the Saints before where we lost the game because of it. I am not going to fault the opposing coach for using it. I have also seen where a coach did not call a time out and let us kick the game winner and win it. I think it is a smart strategic move.

I think it's chickenshirt too. But I also think 100% of the blame (if there is any to assign) belongs on the NFL. There's basically zero codes of honor in the game and no one holds back on something that can give them a competitive edge.

Reminds me of flopping in the NBA. It's a complete detriment to its integrity but the NBA idiotically seems to condone it based on how they've never taken a single meaningful measure to stop it. And I loathe Manu Ginobili so you know how much I hate the way the NBA handles it.

I guess hard counts when you need 4 yds is also unsportsmanlike, eh?

Smart move for that or icing the kicker. It’s part of the game! In our game vs. the Bolts... it worked!

:gosaints:

Remember that time Sean iced the Atlanta kicker in the dome and he missed the first kick and made the one after the TO. I was hot for months over that one.

Might've been the same season he tried to ice the Dallas kicker but the ref didn't see him and the kicker missed.

Call it chickenshirt or whatever, but I don’t think there’s any way to prevent it. Would you suggest never allowing the defense to call a timeout in these situations? What if the coach saw an obvious situation where the kicking team was about to pull a fake? We only have 10 on the field? Etc... Agreed that it seems like gamesmanship, but at the same time, if allowed within the rules, and found to be beneficial, it will be done. The reality is they can’t do away with it from a rules perspective and so it lives on. Introduce me to a coach that isn’t doing everything he can to win within the confines of the rules and I’ll bet he’s sitting next to Dan Quinn right now.

"So Mr. Ref, I've only used two of my timeouts so far in this half. That means I have one more remaining, correct?"

"Correct".

"I'm allowed to use that timeout prior to the snap of any play, correct?"

"Correct".

"I elect to use my last remaining timeout right now, with a few seconds left in regulation and immediately prior to their kicker's attempt at a field goal"

"Oh wow, I mean.... that just seems sort of rude and unsportsmanlike..... Why couldn't you have just used it on an unnecessary challenge or to avoid a delay of game earlier? Why do you have to pick RIGHT NOW to use your final allotted timeout?"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom