Ideal Protein: Have you done the program? (1 Viewer)

Here is how I did it.

Morning shake: apple, blackberries, banana, stevia sweetened protein powder and an orange.

Snacks: only beef jerky or nuts

Lunch: salad or can of sardines or tuna or something sensible

Dinner shake: Kale, celery, banana, carrot, tomato, protein powder.

Workout: I have very limited time to workout between work and spending time with my son. What I do is after I put him to bed around 8pm I will do 3 sets of burnouts of an exercise or two. This will not get you huge, but you will see a noticeable difference from doing nothing at all.

Monday: chest and triceps - pushups. First set is wide grip, second is normal push up, third set is hands facing inwards. Your lats will also be sore from this.

Tuesday: biceps and calves. Dumbbell curls with a weight you are comfortable with for high reps and body weight standing calf raises.

Wednesday: upper legs: body weight squats for 3 sets of failure. You should not be able to walk and should hobble over to bed and go to sleep.

Thurs: abs: crunches 3 sets till failure

Friday: Delts and shoulders. One set each of front/side lateral raises. 3 sets of dumbbell shrugs till failure.

These workouts can take as little as 10-15 minutes, so there really is no excuse. All you need is a 20 or 30lb dumbbell and you can lose weight and gain muscle in no time.

Hope this helps and good luck.

How much weight did you lose. I am going to start this out today.

Did you buy a certain brand?

I am not obese, but I am 50 lbs from my suggested BMI. I am thinking about doing the Ideal Protein program and I have some questions before i make the financial investment.

How much does it cost?
How long will it take?
Can I work out at all while doing this program?
How much weight can I realistically lose in a couple of months?

You should just get taller.

I'll keep it simple for you.
1. Download a calorie counting app on your phone, I prefer MyFitnessPal.
2. Set a realistic calorie deficit in the app.
3. Log everything you eat and drink.
4. Make sure to stay at or below your deficit every day.

This is all you will need to do if your goal is to lose weight. I find the best way to ensure I am under or at my deficit is to plan my meals in advance.

People who claim they don't have time to workout don't really want to lose weight.

I used to make the same excuse. Then I realized I was just lazy.

Here is a plan that will get you in shape 100% of the time:
1. Workout/run hard 5x a week.
2. Eat less.

My wife has been doing this for about 9 months and has lost over 30 lbs... the weirdest thing is, 3 months ago she decided to start running, and ever since, the weight loss has slowed. Guess she is adding muscle? I dunno..

I'm a software developer with three young kids so I have approximately zero time to exercise. Look up the paleo (or even keto) diet. I lost about 20 lbs (which is all I wanted to lose, I now weigh 155 or so at 5'10") following a paleo diet about 80% of the time. You eat real food and never have to starve yourself.

I suggest something like this over a fad weight loss diet that you have to pay for as it's more of a lifestyle change, which means you'll be more likely to keep the weight off and be healthier overall in the long term.

Actually everyone has the same 24 hours in a day and many software developers exercise while having kids. The issue is how we use the time we have available. Sometimes just parking a ways away from your destination and walking farther as well as taking stairs instead of an elevator can help.

Alot of it are carbs that are stored in the body. They'll vanish quickly once you stop eating carbs, and will come back as quickly again once you start eating them. I think you have around 5-6 lbs of carbs stored in this way.

I have a feeling a lot of it is water that was being stored in your body.

My wife has been doing this for about 9 months and has lost over 30 lbs... the weirdest thing is, 3 months ago she decided to start running, and ever since, the weight loss has slowed. Guess she is adding muscle? I dunno..

I doubt it. She was averaging more than 3 pounds per month lost. I don't think that when she started running, she started putting on that much muscle. I'd think that either she started eating more (or differently) when she started exercising, or her body is adapting to her new system, and slowing the fat burn.

BMI is a bunch of bull **** anyway.

How on Earth could you take issue with a math program that says that Reggie Bush is morbidly obese?

I'll keep it simple for you.
1. Download a calorie counting app on your phone, I prefer MyFitnessPal.
2. Set a realistic calorie deficit in the app.
3. Log everything you eat and drink.
4. Make sure to stay at or below your deficit every day.

This is all you will need to do if your goal is to lose weight. I find the best way to ensure I am under or at my deficit is to plan my meals in advance.

I did this beginning Feb 2013 with a starting weight of 251lbs. A friend showed me the app and for the first wk, I recorded what I was eating without changing my diet. 55% of my food intake was from carbs. I added some treadmill work to it 3-4 days per wk for 30-45min. Starting out just walking and worked my way up to running 7min miles. I also started paying attention to carb and sugar intake. I currently weigh 180, the lowest I've weighed since probably jr high school. This is extreme but I lost 40lbs the first 4 months.

I am not obese, but I am 50 lbs from my suggested BMI. I am thinking about doing the Ideal Protein program and I have some questions before i make the financial investment.

How much does it cost?
How long will it take?
Can I work out at all while doing this program?
How much weight can I realistically lose in a couple of months?

My wife did this through her doctor. The food to me didn't look all that tasty but on the flip side, since it was the dominant source of her meals and snacks the cost (which escapes me but 80/week sounds about right) made sense (we would have spent nearly as much on food each week for meals and snacks anyway). They told her not to exercise for the first few months (because of how few calories/carbs she had to "power" her system) and eventually they "let" her do some walking and light weight training if she wanted to and by the end she could have worked out every day if her body was telling her it was okay to do that (though she never did, nor does she ever do, much exercising beyond walking). In 7-8 months she lost 75-80 lbs. She did lose more than average the first couple of months but overall it was a fairly steady rate of loss. I know it was very tough on her in the beginning, but eventually she said her body just got used to the caloric and carb levels she was at. Right at the start though, when her body was basically switching to a "low carb" state, there was a day or two where she felt like she might die. Atkins has a similar period. After seeing her results several friends have gotten on it with similar if not better results (and a few have failed mainly because they couldn't stick to it). So that's my first hand experience FWIW.

Also FWIW, after I saw her early results I started a Atkins type diet myself (there are some similarities between Atkins and Ideal protein). I also lost 30-40 lbs and was able to work out/exercise with no problems outside of a few days early on where I had zero energy. I stick to a low carb diet to this day and it is a good lifestyle for me (get to eat some nice things on a regular basis).

Actually everyone has the same 24 hours in a day and many software developers exercise while having kids. The issue is how we use the time we have available. Sometimes just parking a ways away from your destination and walking farther as well as taking stairs instead of an elevator can help.

I agree. I'm back to running regularly again, but during that time in my life it was very hard to find the time and energy. Having 4 year old twins + a 10 month old who was not sleeping does that to you. I work from home so the stairs instead of elevator suggestions wouldn't have worked.... I guess I could have used the bathroom across the house instead of the one by my office. :hihi:

if i didn't take the stairs at work, i'd get no exercise at all. my gym bag lives in my truck, but i can't remember the last time left the back seat.

I'm not familiar with this program, but I do like the premise but feel you can do it cheaper. Eat high protein, and lots of fruits and vegetables. Some "nutritionists" say don't eat lots of fruit because of the sugar. Do not believe that! Your body was built to break down the natural sugars found in fruits. I have yet to see someone become overweight from eating a high protein, high vegetable/fruit based diet that is combined with exercise.

Although you may not be able to exercise now, you do have to figure out something to do. Start off with a 15 minute exercise and work your way up. Miracle food only works with exercise so try to do something.

It is about combining it with exercise. If you eat 10 apples a day, the extremely high sugar content (though natural) contained in the apples WILL make it much harder to lose weight. If you eat an apple with breakfeast or lunch and a banana after a cardio workout then some strawberries later that night, you're gravy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom