Idle thoughts about Coach Payton (1 Viewer)

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of us old and older timers are always talking about how spoiled we are with Brees and how the “youngsters” have no idea what it’s like to have a QB that’s merely “above average“, much less average or below. It is not Teddy-bashing in the slightest to ponder how different 3rd & 8 ”feels” when Drew is playing rather than anyone else.

But, in reading the NOLA.com story about the slippery grass at Soldier Field (https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_b935a542-f124-11e9-b6d3-e70ec4575cc2.html), it occurred to me just how great and rare it also is to have a coach who has every single small detail covered. Not so much things like slippery grass or letting the other team’s best player beat us, or any of the other obvious things that we fans or the talking heads refer to. Rather, it’s the myriad of small team preparation details that he addresses week after week after week — in addition to creating an offensive game plan that he calls himself on Sundays.

You’d think that there would be at least 32 guys in the entire world capable of doing this consistently but, really, he and Belichick are just a cut far above everyone else. Just think of Quinn’s idiotic motivational t-shirts, Nagy flying his team overseas too late for their bodies to adjust, or simply the entire head coaching careers of Jeff Fisher and Marvin Lewis.

So, let’s take a moment to bask in the wonderfulness that is having a coach for our team that you know, with absolute certainty, has already considered every fleeting legitimate concern that has passed through any fan’s mind, and a million more besides. Ahhhh, a Falcons fan has no clue what that feels like!

Just as another idle thought, your comment on Dan Quinn got me thinking...Who was the best coach the Falcons ever had? It's gotta be Dan Reeves, right? A man who took 3 separate teams (DEN, NYG, ATL) to the playoffs and 2 separate teams (DEN, ATL) to the Super Bowl.

I hadn't heard the bit about Nagy flying the Bears to London too late to get un-jet lagged. That's hilarious.

A lot of us old and older timers are always talking about how spoiled we are with Brees and how the “youngsters” have no idea what it’s like to have a QB that’s merely “above average“, much less average or below. It is not Teddy-bashing in the slightest to ponder how different 3rd & 8 ”feels” when Drew is playing rather than anyone else.

But, in reading the NOLA.com story about the slippery grass at Soldier Field (https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_b935a542-f124-11e9-b6d3-e70ec4575cc2.html), it occurred to me just how great and rare it also is to have a coach who has every single small detail covered. Not so much things like slippery grass or letting the other team’s best player beat us, or any of the other obvious things that we fans or the talking heads refer to. Rather, it’s the myriad of small team preparation details that he addresses week after week after week — in addition to creating an offensive game plan that he calls himself on Sundays.

You’d think that there would be at least 32 guys in the entire world capable of doing this consistently but, really, he and Belichick are just a cut far above everyone else. Just think of Quinn’s idiotic motivational t-shirts, Nagy flying his team overseas too late for their bodies to adjust, or simply the entire head coaching careers of Jeff Fisher and Marvin Lewis.

So, let’s take a moment to bask in the wonderfulness that is having a coach for our team that you know, with absolute certainty, has already considered every fleeting legitimate concern that has passed through any fan’s mind, and a million more besides. Ahhhh, a Falcons fan has no clue what that feels like!

Just as another idle thought, your comment on Dan Quinn got me thinking...Who was the best coach the Falcons ever had? It's gotta be Dan Reeves, right? A man who took 3 separate teams (DEN, NYG, ATL) to the playoffs and 2 separate teams (DEN, ATL) to the Super Bowl.

I hadn't heard the bit about Nagy flying the Bears to London too late to get un-jet lagged. That's hilarious.
Well, the bar is pretty low when Petrino and Glanville are in the mix. I think you’re right that it has to be Reeves.

We always talk about what it'll be like with Drew retires, but what about when CSP goes? I hate to even bring it up b/c I think he stays at least 5-10 more years, but he will leave at one point, and we'll be left praying that we don't get another Ditka.

When you look back at his Falcons time he only had two winning seasons out of 7. He did win 3 playoff games and got them to a Super Bowl though.

In 7 season Mike Smith won double digits 4 times but he only managed to win one playoff game with all of that.

Man it's been tough over there for those guys. :ROFLMAO:

You're right about Reeves not really sustaining success during his tenure at ATL. But, as you say, he did get them to a Super Bowl. Plus he coached 2 other teams to playoff appearances (although DEN was the only place he had sustained success). In terms of an overall body of work, Reeves was their best coach.

No one has hired Mike Smith since he got the ax (nor should they). Sometimes bad coaches make the playoffs (Brad Childress) and on occasion they can even win a Super Bowl (Barry Switzer). Mike Smith had an overrated-but-still-top-10 QB plus Julio & T-Gonz & the annoying-but-still-good Roddy White. As long as those guys were healthy, I don't think you had to be a master tactician or motivator to contend for a playoff spot.

When you look back at his Falcons time he only had two winning seasons out of 7. He did win 3 playoff games and got them to a Super Bowl though.

In 7 season Mike Smith won double digits 4 times but he only managed to win one playoff game with all of that.

Man it's been tough over there for those guys. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
We always talk about what it'll be like with Drew retires, but what about when CSP goes? I hate to even bring it up b/c I think he stays at least 5-10 more years, but he will leave at one point, and we'll be left praying that we don't get another Ditka.

Too frightening to even contemplate. I don't have enough tranqs for that - lol

If only he had mastered coaching defense in late game situations with a lead, he might have a couple of extra rings.

I am very curious with the case of young Sean McVay as a comparison. When I see the rams, I see the same tendencies we had at the beginning of the Payton era. Not only on the field, but also on the way they gamble by trading away assets to be competitive.

Watching rams games, I notice how McVay gets frustrated with the run game, and I see bonehead calls that keep you guessing how a "mastermind" can call THAT play.

We have been there before.

The most interesting difference is that Sean McVay was lucky enough to have Wade Phillips available. As Coach Payton, he has allowed his coordinator to do whatever they want to do with the defense.

I really wonder what is going to happen to the rams once Phillips is gone. We may realize he is just a bona fide coordinator.

And that is my point. It took time, and I mean years, for Sean Payton to become a complete coach. He became one with the current version of the saints, actually years after winning the Super Bowl.

He understood that he needs to have a solid running game in order to be a constant winner and to protect our defense. He knows since his time with the giants that his offense work when he has a mixture and power run and a joker that can do it all.

He also built a serious experienced staff on the defensive side, that built a unit that plays now complimentary football to the offense.

He also gave full attention to the Special Teams unit, now one of the best in the league.

But more important, he built his latest version by reinforcing both lines. Solid lines make teams competitive.

I believe now, that Coach Payton will be able to build around a third or fourth generation of the saints if he wants to, and even when he retires, his fingerprints will stay with the team. We really now have an identity, one that is beyond spectacular offense.

It is so cool that we are not a one trick pony. We can win often scoring 35 or just 10 points. We have a consistent team that can always find a way.

We have a coach that does a lot, but is not responsible for everything.

We always have a chance, we are consistently competitive. That is all that we can ask.

Look around to see how lucky we are right now.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Payton will leave to coach anywhere else. He has close relationships with the entire team heirarchy, starting with Mrs Benson on down. They stood by him through bountygate and the 7-9 years. He is more than just a HC from all appearances. Barring a jarring turnover in ownership I don't believe he will get that wanderlust to go somewhere else. He seems entrenched in the fabric of NO, beyond the Saints, by his own choice. He gives every indication of being happy with his life. I know that could change, but with the way he holds the keys to the chariot I think it is very possible he will retire as a Saint.

I'm not sure Payton will leave to coach anywhere else. He has close relationships with the entire team heirarchy, starting with Mrs Benson on down. They stood by him through bountygate and the 7-9 years. He is more than just a HC from all appearances. Barring a jarring turnover in ownership I don't believe he will get that wanderlust to go somewhere else. He seems entrenched in the fabric of NO, beyond the Saints, by his own choice. He gives every indication of being happy with his life. I know that could change, but with the way he holds the keys to the chariot I think it is very possible he will retire as a Saint.
I want to believe that with all of my soul.

Good post... And to think, it's not so long ago that some around here were trying to drum CSP out on his arse! Eh, Blackadder?

And that is my point. It took time, and I mean years, for Sean Payton became a complete coach. He became one with the current version of the saints, actually years after winning the Super Bowl.

He understood that he needs to have a solid running game in order to be a constant winner and to protect our defense. He knows since his time with the giants that his offense work when he has a mixture and power run and a joker that can do it all.

He also built a serious experienced staff on the defensive side, that build a unit that plays now complimentary football to the offense.

He also gave full attention to the Special Teams unit, now one of the best in the league.

But more important, he built his latest version by reinforcing both lines. Solid lines make teams competitive.
And he learned the Galette lesson: talent is worth it only if it comes with character, football IQ and mental toughness.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom