If Brees does indeed retire, Does he get the Sports Illustrated treatment? (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Meaning does he get a special retrospective magazine issue that details his career like Favre and Manning got?

No. Sadly i think Drew will nothing more than a footnote. Which is a shame cause Rodgers has similar career but plays for a MegaBrand and gets a lot of adulation.

I couldā€™ve sworn he got a big Sports Illustrated spread in ā€˜18 (oddly enough) when rumors started swirling about possible retirement. It was towards the end of the season if Iā€™m remembering correctly.

I hope Brees finally gets the love and adulation from the sports media world that he deserves, but I wonā€™t hold my breath for it. It seems the press prefers enigmatic curmudgeons (AR), model types (TB) or gunslinging, phenoms (Mahomes) to be their golden children. Drew never had enough edge nor ā€œitā€ for them. So, he gets pushed to the back.

Unfortunately, I think Russell Wilson will face this same fate.

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't. People gotta realize, the Saints aren't a storied franchise. The Packers are a storied franchise. The Colts were a storied franchise, died off a bit after Johnny Unitas and returned once Peyton got there. If Brees played in a bigger market or one of the legendary franchises of the past and had the career he had in New Orleans, he would have won multiple MVP awards.

Nah but he'll get his love.

But shoot, Rodgers was the media's boytoy and if he retires without another ring he likely won't get "SI treatment" either.

The best chance at an overdrive celebration of Brees' career in a perfect world would have been had he not made those anthem comments (whether you agree or not, he took a hit from it from many people) and had he went out with a Super Bowl.

But with him going out on a whimper and with it being to Brady of all people, it'd be silly to think there will be a media blitz of love for Brees when he makes it official.

Ask Peter King, he used to be a good journalist.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom