If Brees gets a 3 year extension do we really need 3 QB's on the roster? (1 Viewer)

Chopper Man

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
If Brees gets a 3 year extension do we really need 3 QB's on the roster?

The Saints have not always carried 3 quarter backs. Is it really a necessity or a waste of valuable roster space?

stadanko

I'm inside the computer.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see Payton giving up on GG yet. But I also don't think he did enough in the preseason to warrant winning the job. So unless we get really hard pressed for a roster spot, I don't see Payton releasing either one this season.

parlorcitysaint

WhoDat in exile.
Reaction score
It's McCown who hasn't impressed me, from what I've seen. When the numbers of the two players are comparable, I've got to look at the experience of both players, and the cost of each. For having as much more experience over GG as McCown does, and the cost of his contract, I think I'd give the nod to Grayson before I do McCown.

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
No need to give up on Grayson. We have a few guys at the bottom of the roster who would likely make the PS or be sitting home on the couch waiting for a call like Hightower, Manhertz, Turner, etc. Roster spots aren't at a premium right now.

duhonmark551

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Grayson will be gone after this season due to lack of development skill. Saints will get Drews replacement in the 2019 draft, and IF that QB works out well then Drew may be cut as soon as 2020 season, with 1 year left on his contract. IF that QB struggles then Drew will stick around until his contract expires.

Just my hunch.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen teams go from too many QB's to not enough in 1 game.

We need either 3 QB's on the 53, or 2 on the 53 and 1 or 2 like Griffin that know the system on the PS or speed dial. AFAIK, there are none available that currently know our system.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Grayson will be gone after this season due to lack of development skill. Saints will get Drews replacement in the 2019 draft, and IF that QB works out well then Drew may be cut as soon as 2020 season, with 1 year left on his contract. IF that QB struggles then Drew will stick around until his contract expires.

Just my hunch.

If Grayson is cut at the end of the season, we will immediately sign a FA or draft a QB very high in the next draft.

SaintsJunkie

BREES HOF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hoping 4-5 year deal, but to answer your question: NO Cut Grayson he is not the future, not accurate enough

Sazed

Veteran
Reaction score
With the way the line has played in pre season we may need 6 QBs on the roster...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

duhonmark551

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Grayson may be cut the day after Drew signs his extension, but Loomis is a fool and a bad poker player to cut him while negotiations are ongoing.

Swampy Saint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't have 3 on the active roster, but I'd have one on the practice squad.

daybreaker

STH since 2006
Reaction score
3 QBs isnt a bad idea, because arent we allowed to carry an emergency QB on the active gameday roster that doesnt count against the limit?

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If Drew goes down, season is over. McCown doesn't change that, neither does Grayson. At least Grayson has hope of becoming a starter, so I'd keep him.

So in answer to OP - no, I wouldn't keep 3 QB's. To me it's just a waste of a roster spot.

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
With the way the line has played in pre season we may need 6 QBs on the roster...
What good would it do? There'd just be six injured people.

No. I say get the line fixed, and put our hopes into Drew. Keep Grayson, because the heir. If he's not, then I wouldn't keep him either.

SC Saints Fan

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm curious about the QB situation. Seems like there is a quite a few people on the forum here that really don't like GG. But it seems to me that QB's take time to develop. It seems that we are willing to let receivers take 3-4 years before we want to run them off. With GG it seems like many members here think he should be a pro-bowler without any real game time experience. Why the patience on receivers, but not a qb (arguably a more difficult position to master)? For me GG may or may not be our next franchise qb, but SP took his time with Romo and is comfortable with that process, so why not let him do the same with whatever QB SP wants to develop.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Zero chance Brees gets benched Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
Andrus Drew Brees Talks Taysom, Getting Back on Track vs Packers in Week 3 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints' Drew Brees pushes back on notion he's in decline: 'I feel good, borderline great' SR News Page Articles 0
The internet says Drew Brees is cooked. He says he feels 'good, borderline great' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees remains confident, feels 'borderline great' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees still confident, feels “Borderline great” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Saints Why all isnt lost when it comes to Brees. Plus point spread Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Warren moon on brees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 20
Article: Is Drew Brees done? USA Today - Really Interesting Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 60
Andrus Drew Brees following MNF defeat: 'We're not even close to what we're capable of' SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Should we be concerned about Drew Brees and the Saints? SR News Page Articles 0
Brees has been bad. Jordan, Lattimore, Peat, Rankins and M. Williams have been worse Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 49
Brees - Inaccurate Throws Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Drew Brees explains momentum-swinging interception in Saints loss: 'Shouldn't have thrown it' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees on Saints offense: “Not even close to what we’re capable of” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees: Job is to direct Saints, not rack up air yards Saints RSS News Feeds 0
'It was ugly.' Here's what Brees, Payton, Kamara had to say after Saints' loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Drew Brees acts his age in off-target loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees cleats Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Billgluckman Drew brees (yeah I know) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 105
After the Brees int.. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 25
Brees INT....Downhill from there!!! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
Need a reminder of Drew Brees' iconic Monday Night football history? Check out his pre-game cleats Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Empty stadiums may make the hard count more effective for veteran QBs like Drew Brees Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees, Saints a good bet in Las Vegas on Monday night Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Interview with the Enemy: Las Vegas Raiders expect to upset Drew Brees and the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Emmanuel Sanders says Saints and Brees are unified, ready to pick up slack for Michael Thomas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DomePatrol2005 Yahoo article throws some shade Brees way Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 54
Drew Brees and Tom Brady finish 1st showdown as divisional foes seeking more Saints RSS News Feeds 0
bigcarlittlewill Drew Brees licked his fingers 66 times or more last night Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Barnwell: Handing out 13 QB awards for Week 1, from Brady and Brees to Burrow and Wentz Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Beignets and Café au Lait: Brees 1 - Brady 0 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Kamara The pre-2017 Drew Brees has a 3 interception game on days like today Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Brees was subpar Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 43
Watch: On Drew Brees' day, Demario Davis' contract, Jenkins' pick-six, more as Saints beat Bucs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Drew Brees Postgame After Week 1 Win vs. Buccaneers | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
NOLAJM504 Brees long-ball, is it low-key back? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 53
Brees' latest NFL record: Career pass attempts Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints QB Drew Brees breaks Brett Favre's career passing attempts record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees breaks career pass attempts record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Brees-Brady: There will only Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Sources: Brees planned to retire, changed mind Saints RSS News Feeds 0
If Drew Brees retired this offseason, the Saints' plan was to pursue Tom Brady: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sources: Saints wanted Brady if Brees retired Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saintsphere Cam Jordan and Mark Ingram debut podcast; Alvin Kamara first guest and gets into how bad injury was last season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 20
woohoosaint Roddy White gets consideration for Pro Football HoF...but Colston doesn't Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 47
Never gets old Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
GrayMatter78 N/S Rams / Woods agree on 4 year $65 million extension Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Source: Saints give LB Davis 3-year extension Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Demario Davis Talks Contract Extension after Week 1 Win vs. Buccaneers | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0