If Brees retires after this season what are the Chances we could keep Taysom and Jamius on the team in 2021 and beyond? (1 Viewer)

Chopper Man

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
When Drew no longer takes a Salary and retires, in this senario is that enough $$$ to throw at Winston and Taysom assuming they both find success

If Jameis emerges as a successor star QB, and Taysom improves his passing, I wonder too who would Sean Payton choose. Since Jameis is only 26, it’s probably smarter to go with his decade-longer ceiling. Who develops consistency in effectively running the Saints pass offense the quickest between the two is what it may come down to.

I would love to see Winston become an elite QB with the Saints and Taysom continue to be a HB/WR/TE/option QB. TH7 can have a significant package of pass/rush plays as a read option QB when Brees retires without being the starter. How much will Taysom try to impose himself being a starting QB here in N.O.? Or how committed are the Saints in making Taysom the franchise QB regardless of what Jameis does? Will they give Jameis Winston a fair shot at winning the future job?

I think next year will be an experimental/recovery year without Brees. We'll retain as much talent as possible and see what Taysom can do while eating some cap.

I think they will definitely look at the FA QB market, which will include Winston, but will be mostly concerned with recovering some of that cap push back. If a QB comes cheap or someone becomes available they can't pass up they add him to compete/start. More likely they look to the draft and give Tasyom his shot.

After 2021 it's up in the air again. A talented roster, some cap relief and a question at QB. Hopefully, we found someone promising in the draft if not try again that draft. Even if Taysom balls out in 2021 you still need an answer. He is a short term solution with his age and play style.

As far as Jameis in particular, I'm not sold on him being the long term starter by any means. He lost his starting job and no one wanted to sign him to start. He has a lot to prove. He has a year to do it but at this point, I'd rather see what some fresh blood has.

Last edited:
Taysom has to prove himself as would Jameis. The only catch is the goal this year is a SB not to experiment with QB Musical Chairs. As long as Brees is healthy, he starts and finishes games. We also know the Saints are not paying Taysom $10.5 Million to ride the bench this year so we should be able to get a good look at what to expect from TH at QB. If Payton is serious about TH as his future QB1 we should also see him getting the lions share of snaps with the starters in the preseason with the scraps divided between Jameis and Tommy.

I may be completely wrong but I don't see where Jameis gets a chance to prove anything. A couple quarters in preseason are not going to change any minds. So unless lightning strikes Drew twice I'm afraid Jameis won't get an audition.

I am sure a lot of you think Jameis will be the obvious choice if Drew can't suit up. I'm not so sure that would be the case.

There is a second fly in the Jameis ointment. With Taysom essentially getting $16.3 million next year and Brees cap hit, even if he retires, where would the money come from to pay Jameis a starter's salary.

Those that see this as a Teddy parallel are wrong.

2021 sees a cap hit for Drew, even if he retires as expected, plus the bulk of Taysom's $16m extension. We're not swimming in cap space for QBs.

If Drew retires I think Aaron Rodgers forces is way out of Green Bay to New Orleans. Pure speculation of course.

I think 2020 will be the final year for Brees. I expect Brees to make the formal announcement once the season gets closer.
I think 2021 will be Winston’s tryout season.

Yes, they both stay. What's so complicated about that. Sean's not stupid.

We can make every bombastic reply depending on our preference, but the reality is that we don't know.

I actually don't think Coach Payton knows. I think right now Taysom has the edge considering what has been said before by the Coach Payton and Mickey Loomis, but Jameis has the talent to pass him. He is younger and will have less damage on his body. Taysom also gives us much more than quarterbacking.

The decision will consider talent, but also money. When Drew retires, part of him will stay at the salary cap. At least at the beginning we will be paying handsomely for two quarterbacks. even when one will be broadcasting on Sundays.

We have been lucky, by having stability at the quarterback position for 15 years now. That is not normal. Only a third of the league may be lucky enough to have a franchise quarterback for over 10 years.

We should now that the team is set for a transition in the best way possible. We have two very suitable candidates, who will be with the team at least for a year to learn from Drew. We have choices. Think about it. Teams normally struggle to find a replacement for a legendary quarterback. Payton and Loomis did good. They will make the best choice.

Taysom won’t do it - if he’s not the heir in New Orleans he will sign somewhere else.

Taysom will do what's in his own best interest, which is understandable. But there is no guarantee that any other team in the league would want him to be a starter. His best chance to be a starting QB is likely in New Orleans.

Regarding the question in the OP, of course Payton will try to retain both if Winston plays well next season. It wouldn't be any different than him currently having a $25 million QB in Brees and a $10 million QB in Taysom Hill.

Yes, because it worked so well with 'trade for Joe Burrow'.

The house isn't big enough, basically.
It all depends on who has the first pick. If it’s a team with a good qb but awful team they will want to trade

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom