If Chance Warmack is BPA at 15 (and needs have been filled in FA) (1 Viewer)

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If the FO picks up say Victor Butler or, even better, Anthony Spencer and another guy or two who can seriously compete for defensive starting spots in free agency, like Mickey always seems to do, and heads into the draft with the best player available stratgey, do they take Chance Warmack at #15 if he's at the top of their board?

My preference in that situation would be to trade down and pick up a 2nd or extra 3rd, depending on who is trading up. I don't see how Dallas, Chicago, Indianapolis, or Green Bay could pass up the relatively cheap opportunity to solidify the interior of their lines. Warmack is most likely going to be a great guard, and our team probably won't be the only one in that situation...I'm sure he's pretty high up on a lot of boards.

that would be a perfect example of why BPA is a myth

rarely, if ever, do you take the BPA if he doesnt fit a need on the team

warmack is a great lineman and itd be nice if we had that kind of flexibility to take a guy like him but we have a few more pressing needs that cant wait to be addressed

I see the offensive tackles and guards will start to deplete at our spot (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson maybe) and the Bears at #20 need a guard and tackle, so they would be the best candidate to move up to #15 and get ahead of the crowd to pick up either OG Warmack or OT Johnson. By #20 those guys would be gone and maybe Cooper also.

Draft day should be interesting.

Regardless of what we do in FA, we should draft BPA or trade down and accumulate picks.

I can't remember a guard going that high particularly one that likely is no option to maybe play right tackle.

John Shinners 17th pick overall. 3 seasons with Saints. 0 starts, 0 pro-bowls. Did not finish his career with Saints.
Royce Smith 8th pick overall. 2 seasons with Saints. 0 starts, 0 pro-bowls. Did not finish his career with Saints.
Chris Naeole 10th pick overall. 5 seasons with Saints. 63 starts, 0 pro-bowls. Did not finish his career with Saints.

Just pointing out that the Saints have picked guards relatively high.

Not drafting a stud like Chance Warmack if no other player with similar rating at positions of need are available would be shortsighted.

Yes, we don't really need a OG but Warmack would be a good upgrade at one of our most important position and on top of that, it would allow us to free up a ton of cap space to sign other players in the future. You can't just look at it in a vacuum. It's not Chance Warmack over a defensive player but it would be the best OG in the last few years + a draft pick for trading Grubbs (or Evans) + freeing up about 6M$ of cap space/year over the next 4-5 years, against a D player with probably high bust potential.

I was considering this also... The only problem is that the obvious next move would be the trade Grubbs and that doesnt send the best message to future potential free agents when you dump guys that are performing after one year.

It's not a move that you would curse the organization for making, but there may be other people available that could fill the more pressing area of concern on our depth chart by then. I mean, if picking him at 15 is the worst thing that happens to us on draft day, we may walk away from this draft with our heads up high

I can't remember a guard going that high particularly one that likely is no option to maybe play right tackle.

Steve Hutchinson, a pure guard, went 17th overall. The C/G Pouncey twins went 15th (Miami) and 18th (Pittsburgh) respectively.

I don't think Warmack lasts till us but if we can't trade down, take him. Bucky Brooks has him rated as the best player in the entire draft. Given how high we rate guards, we can deal either Grubbs or Evans (so long as the cap penalties are not overly punitive)

2013 NFL Draft's top prospect: Luke Joeckel vs. Chance Warmack | News | NFL.com

The Saints are strong at Guard. This move would be stupid and a complete waste. Trade down...or get the next BPA from a position of need (which is practically every position on defense).

You trade down and hopefully fleece w/e team makes the move. Sorry, but we have way too many needs on defense, at OT and at WR to take another guard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom