If Cowboys want Payton (2 Viewers)

Who on this forum would turn down 3 No 1s, Cee Dee Lamb and Trevon Diggs for him? I would take no less but still not sure.
Nope, they got the Unicorn Kellen Moore in waiting.

Who on this forum would turn down 3 No 1s, Cee Dee Lamb and Trevon Diggs for him? I would take no less but still not sure.
I think you've found your answer................pretty much everyone

They could offer their first round pick for the next 25 years and I would say no. Hall of Fame coaches don't grow on trees.
Now we’re getting crazy. NFL coaching is a serious grind, and we’re well past the halfway point in Sean’s tenure here. Next year will be his 17th season, I’ll be thrilled if we have him 8 more before he retires.

Now we’re getting crazy. NFL coaching is a serious grind, and we’re well past the halfway point in Sean’s tenure here. Next year will be his 17th season, I’ll be thrilled if we have him 8 more before he retires.
I think he retires after 20 seasons in 2026.

2 first round picks for the next 25 years wouldn't necessarily overcome average coaching, so you'd be giving what excellent coaching seasons Payton has left for no guarantees of those extra draft picks overcoming average coaching.

I'd only trade Payton to Dallas for all of their draft picks for the next 25 years, including compensatory picks. That would pretty much guarantee being able to maintain a loaded roster of players that would compensate for any average coach. Definitely wouldn't have any salary cap issues for awhile. It would also mean Payton would be less successful at Dallas than he was with New Orleans.

Dallas's draft picks would always be high picks and that kind of draft capital would make it easier to secure the best available coach.

So what I'm saying is I'd only trade Payton for a nearly guaranteed 20 year dynasty the likes of which the NFL has never seen, yes that includes the fricking Patriots.

The reality is I'm saying I would never trade Payton to Dallas, because they would never agree to pay me as much as I value him.

Last edited:
No. There's no trade package they could offer that would prompt me to say yes. Literally none. I'll take the option of having Sean Payton as our head coach until he retires, thanks.
I agree with you, but ...

Payton is aggravatingly stubborn sometimes. This point is a commonly repeated comment on Gameday here on SR.com.

There were a few who posted, when early this season Payton was on an extended period of games where he was arguably making questionable calls, that maybe the game had passed Payton by.
I read a post or two that suggested that perhaps Brees was more the reason for the Saints success since Brees became a Saint than Payton was. And now that Brees is gone, Payton's shortcomings are more visible and hard to cover up.

These are just talking points.
Not fishing for trouble or attention.
These opinions were shared on this forum, and it does make one wonder, especially when Payton makes one bonehead call after another.

On hindsight, one can say that Payton had reasons for making the calls he made [ " he had limited quality players " was a common one this year ].

But he has been frustrating throughout his tenure here in New Orleans.
But a coach can't be perfect. Right?
However, does being stubborn need to be a " genius " coach's weakness?
I don't think so.
There is a fine line between being stubborn and being confident of your decisions.

Another knock on Payton is that he holds on to poor talent too long.
Because he likes the guy? Possibly.
It has been posited that Payton is sometimes too loyal to a player or coach.
A la Taysom Hill.
Not that it is an established fact that he is playing favorites with Taysom.

And then there is the accusation that the Saints should have won more than one Super Bowl under Coach Payton.
Can some of the blame be on Payton for this result?
But how many great coaches have not won even ONE Super Bowl?
But then - we're they truly great?

Again - I am posting this reply as simply a subject to share opinions on.

I want Payton to stay. I think he still knows how to coach a professional football team, and do it well.
I love the man, and I believe the players do, too. As well as the entire organization.

And as has been brought up many times, who do you replace Payton with?
Are we holding on to him partly because of the fear that exists that we might hire a rotten coach?
And are we settling for a GOOD coach who has possibly lost his touch instead of taking the risk and letting him go for the possibility of signing a truly GREAT coach?

Last edited:
The average NFL players career is what?? 4 or 5 years??

No way would I make that trade. SP can go for another 10 years at least if he wants to.

I wouldn't even agree to a deal if Jerry Jones would make Goodell retire and publicly state that he hated the Saints organization and sabotaged them for years.
ehh ...

uhh ...

umm ...

maybe?

possibly?

even if they gave us the 2019 NFCCG victory and replayed that seasons Super Bowl with the Saints against the Pat-idiots?

Speaking of Diggs, isn’t it weird? Has all those picks, but then is the worst DB in the NFL as far as yards given up.

I’d take Parsons way before Diggs, much more impactful player

And there’s nothing I’d trade for just to give a future HOF away in Payton

ehh ...

uhh ...

umm ...

maybe?

possibly?

even if they gave us the 2019 NFCCG victory and replayed that seasons Super Bowl with the Saints against the Pat-idiots?
We don’t have a time machine
So Brees is gone…

No, I won’t trade Payton for anything

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom