If Dan Arnold makes the catch are we even discussing officiating right now? (3 Viewers)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
I had to ask the question. Yes we got screwed but if Dan Arnold makes that catch we are probably not discussing officiating right now. I ‘m talking about the TD he had in his hands and dropped! Watson catches that! This just stinks right now.

johnnyrockets42

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just a bunch of What if’s. We had opportunities . Probably should have blown out the Rams when we had the opportunity.
Your whole thread is a what if. But I get it, we are all dealing with our grief. I just don't see the point of calling out one play from one of the guys with the least NFL snaps on our roster.

ThibodauxSaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
What crossed my mind is if we stop them from getting the field goal to tie that game and win the game even with that horrible call is that call getting any media attention at all? I would think not. My point is we have to make sure this stays in media and keeps getting pushed. Make it embarrassing for the NFL. They got their L.A. team in the Super Bowl, I don't want them to have their cake and eat it too by this getting swept under the rug. I know they are discussing changes but ironically the change they are talking about wouldn't have made a difference in this particular instant because the flag was never thrown so it wouldn't be reviewable under the rule they are proposing.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
How would anyone know? sounds like your trying to blame D.Arnold...I guess its the 5 stages of grief and your on the denial stage...that play was in the first quarter, how does a play in the first quarter impact a game more so than a play in the 4th with 2 minutes left and the game is on the line?

HOF_Smeenge

NFL Juggernaut
Reaction score
I was actually surprised Drew threw it to him. Despite being a “receiving” tight end, I can’t remember the last time he made a clutch catch for us.

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here we go again. Their are a thousand "ifs" earlier in the game.

WHAT TRANSPIRED BEFORE WAS DONE. IT WAS A GREAT GAME THAT WAS TIED AT THAT POINT. WE PUT OURSELVES IN POSITION TO WIN. WE CALLED A PLAY THAT HAD A RECEIVER UNCOVERED FOR A TOUCHDOWN PASS. A GOOD PASS WAS THROWN IN HIS DIRECTION. THE RECEIVER WAS LEVELED WELL BEFORE THE BALL ARRIVED. THE OFFICIALS SWALLOWED THEIR FLAGS.

Reaction score
Here we go again. Their are a thousand "ifs" earlier in the game.

WHAT TRANSPIRED BEFORE WAS DONE. IT WAS A GREAT GAME THAT WAS TIED AT THAT POINT. WE PUT OURSELVES IN POSITION TO WIN. WE CALLED A PLAY THAT HAD A RECEIVER UNCOVERED FOR A TOUCHDOWN PASS. A GOOD PASS WAS THROWN IN HIS DIRECTION. THE RECEIVER WAS LEVELED WELL BEFORE THE BALL ARRIVED. THE OFFICIALS SWALLOWED THEIR FLAGS.
Agreed for the most part. Whether it was a good pass or not is argueable

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Let's just say he caught it. Then at the closing of regulation the score would have been 23 - 17. The Rams were at the goal line , they would not have taken that field goal, they would have tried for a TD, and if they scored it would have been Rams 24, Saints 23. They each scored a field goal after that, so the final score would have been Saints 26, Rams 27. That's IF Arnold would have caught the ball.

It would have been 24-17. They would have been forced to try and make that 4th and goal.

jeepman

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If Arnold would've made that catch, who knows if it would have been negated by a so called "holding" call. lmao. (but seriously, who knows)

Saintslfc13

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
If Nickell Roby gets a PI for holding Ginn, do Rams fans get to complain about the Goff facemask no call?
Sure. It would’ve been ticky tack. For a few seasons now they’ve been letting the incidental face mask touches go. I’m sure you remember when they first took the 5-yard face mask out and teams were getting hit for 15 for those types of face masks that happened to Goff on that play. Then at some point it seemed the league decided to, for the most part, let the incidental face masks go but call the ones that actually assisted the tackle in some way either directly or by stopping progress enough for another player to make the hit. The ones involving actual turning of the head. Even then had that been us with the human element of maybe not having a clear view? I could live with that no call.

Anyone who’s brought that up to me I’ve told something along the lines of “Look it’s been called incidental but I’d have much rather the rams get that if it means we get the PI and have the ball 1st and goal at the 6 down 4 with about 1 minute or so left to score a TD for the lead in the Dome”. We might have lost but I could’ve stomached that loss way more than this.

Saintslfc13

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
As far as OP goes we have no idea what would’ve happened if Arnold makes that catch. Maybe it’s the dagger for the Rams and they quit, maybe we go into HT 17-10 instead of thirteen. Maybe our last regulation drive is in a completely different scenario to where there’s less time and we just need an FG to put it away. We just don’t know.

OP
OP
Reaction score
How would anyone know? sounds like your trying to blame D.Arnold...I guess its the 5 stages of grief and your on the denial stage...that play was in the first quarter, how does a play in the first quarter impact a game more so than a play in the 4th with 2 minutes left and the game is on the line?
Well we would have been up by 7 instead of 3. It made a big difference when we played the Panthers in playoffs last year . Newton had to go for endzone and failed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom