If Deshaun Watson is there at the 11th pick (1 Viewer)

No it doesnt. Both were single read QB's in a spread offense. Vince was not a terrible passer, but he couldnt read past his first option to save his life. Watson screams the same issues, though slightly better with the intermediate routes. Both super competitors, but lack the overall game to be a above average/great QB. Watson is being way overhyped and some team will undoubtedly make the mistake of drafting him in the 1st.... but it shouldnt be the Saints.
I don't think you have ever seen Watson play.

No it doesnt. Both were single read QB's in a spread offense. Vince was not a terrible passer, but he couldnt read past his first option to save his life. Watson screams the same issues, though slightly better with the intermediate routes. Both super competitors, but lack the overall game to be a above average/great QB. Watson is being way overhyped and some team will undoubtedly make the mistake of drafting him in the 1st.... but it shouldnt be the Saints.

I have watched Watson play I believe in six games over the past two seasons - I don't see the Vince comparison.

Clemson's offense is not a one-read offense.

I have watched Watson play I believe in six games over the past two seasons - I don't see the Vince comparison.

Clemson's offense is not a one-read offense.

Never said Clemson was a one read system. True VY played in a more misdirection/one read offense, but the similarities in their skillset outweigh the differences. Just go back and watch their college highlights back-to-back. Both stare down first read and if not open they will pull down and look to run or hope to buy time for someone to get open. Watson is more polished passer than VY. Like I said, not worth a 1st rounder in the top half of the draft.

I've seen a couple of mocks that don't have him even being taken in the first round so what makes anyone think that the Saints will take him at 11?

If the Saints are going "all in" for 2017 Watson won't be the pick!!

The Saints went 2-4 in the division last year and teams that go 2-4 in their own division usually DO NOT make the playoffs!!

I stated in another thread that all you have to do is look no further than the HUGE amount of offensive talent on every team in the NFC South and that should speak volumes to the team going DEFENSE!!

What is so difficult to understand about that!! All the flashy hood ornaments in the world won't make an engine run better!!

Led the NCAA in picks this year.

This one of those alt-facts that nobody bothers to check? Because it's false. Yet it is somehow a 7 of 7 members found this helpful? :idunno:

David Blough from Purdue did.

Here are some FACTUAL stats:

Attempts - 4th (579)
Completions - 2nd (388)
Yards - 3rd (4,593)
Comp. pct. - 10th (67%)
TDs - 3rd (41)
Int - T 2nd (17)

Drew Brees threw 20 ints his sophomore year on 10 less attempts.

If he is impossibly somehow still there when the Saints pick, you ABSOLUTELY take him. Good grief.

You guys do realize that we do not have a starting quarterback under contract after this season and using a franchise tag on Drew isn't an option, right?

Furthermore, our current starter does not want an extension right now.

So there really currently is no guarantee that we will have a starting caliber QB scheduled to be on the roster beyond this season. Just saying, QB at 11 is a stronger possibility than we may realize.

Just how do you know that supposed fact? Not doubting it due to the fact that Condon is his agent and is one of the hardest agents for GM's to deal with. I am somewhat surprise that more teams haven't taken the Patriot approach and refused to negotiate with him at all.

Last edited:
My gut tells me he'll be the pick.
No articles or rumors have swayed me.
When a potential top qb in the draft is
available and you don't have to make any
moves to acquire him, he's the choice.
Green Bay didn't necessarily need Rodgers
but they took him because he fell in their lap.
Just saying.......... and yes, I know we need
defense..... who doesn't.

No question, HE will be the pick if available.

Just how do you know that supposed fact?

Because Drew himself said so.

Although it was said with what I would call "cordial undertones," there is still no guarantee that things won't turn sour between now and then. The point remains that the only QB we have under contract through 2017 is Luke McCown, and putting a tag on Brees is not an option.

Drew Brees said Monday that he plans to play out the final year of his contract with the New Orleans Saints in 2017.

The 37-year-old quarterback said he'll then consider his future one year at a time in order to put forth his "absolute best effort" toward winning the NFC South and a second Super Bowl title with New Orleans.

"Listen, so I signed a one-year extension, so that was this year and then next year," Brees said. "And so I plan on playing that out and just allowing things to take form and take shape here for next year and putting forth my absolute best effort to help us win a division championship and then a world championship.

"And then, again, just one year at a time, and that's not a lack of commitment or anything like that. It's just, I just want to focus on what's right in front of me."

This quote here stands out to me and is a reminder that he holds all the cards after this season...

"I'm just taking it one year at a time, honestly, because I certainly don't want to miss out," he said. "I don't want to overlook any opportunity. I don't want to miss out on any just moment, and I understand that I'm more toward the end of my career than I am the beginning and so time is limited. I can't tell you how long that's going to be.

"I just want to make the most of each moment, each opportunity, each season and don't look any further ahead than just what's right in front of me, and just value that so it doesn't go by too fast."

Drew Brees planning to play out final year of contract in 2017 | NOLA.com

All the stats in the world are almost useless when looking at college passers.

Plenty of modern spread QBs put up eye popping stats and it doesn't always mean much. Watson was 2nd in INTs this year but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either. Jameis Winston had a ton of INTs his last year and he looks to at least be a decent NFL starter (which is about the most you can hope for with the draft to start and if they turn elite, then you've hit the jackpot).

You have to analyze these guys based on how they react in given situations, how their footwork is, can they make multiple reads quickly, do they fit the ball into tight windows, can they make all the throws, how do they respond under pressure (physical and mental), how risky are they (can be overcome but you have to take into account teaching a guy not to throw so many picks), can they be taught to play under center, can they adjust to a normal NFL offense, etc.

You can't even take a college completion % and take it as the authority on accuracy (Tim Tebow also completed 67% of his passes). You have to look at individual plays and see how accurate he was in pressing situations compared to dumpoffs and slants, etc. How's there deep ball accuracy? How is it under pressure?

If you want to read another opinion besides "omg his stats, he's the 11th pick!!," then here: WalterFootball.com: 2017 NFL Draft Scouting Report: DeShaun Watson

In this draft analyst's opinion, I would grade Watson as a third-round pick for the 2017 NFL Draft. Watson was off with his accuracy for much of 2016, displaying poor ball placement, especially when going downfield. He missed a lot of potential touchdowns as a result. Watson has a lot of room for improvement with his field vision, ball placement, and accuracy. There were instances where he flashed accuracy, but he had too many missed and poorly placed throws. Watson was better down the stretch, but still has room for improvement in his accuracy for the NFL.

Watson has some strengths for the NFL that cause many to compare him to Dak Prescott. There is no doubt that Watson has great intangibles as a hard worker with good character off the field and leadership in the locker room. He also brings toughness and mobility to the table. When plays break down, Watson can use his athleticism to pick up yards on the ground and also can avoid sacks.

There are a lot of growth issues that Watson will need development for in the NFL - aside from his passing skills. Watson is also going to need to learn how to work under center, call plays in a huddle, and develop his footwork to make drops from being under center. His college offense has a lot of quick throws, screens, and designed runs that inflated his numbers but don't translate to the NFL. Some NFL sources believe that Watson is going to need his pro offense to be catered to him and that he could have issues fitting a NFL system.

In speaking with sources from teams around the NFL, their grades on Watson didn't match the media hype that he has received. I surveyed many teams to see where their initial draft grades were for Watson. Two playoff teams told me they had third-round grades on Watson. One said it was on the low end as a third- to fourth-rounder. Another playoff team told Walt that they had a third-round grade on Watson. Two other teams said they had second-round grades on Watson. One team thought that Watson still could be a late first-round quarterback, similar to Teddy Bridgewater, because of the dire need at the position across the NFL.

Just because most teams have Watson graded on the second day or mid-rounds doesn't mean that he won't go in the first round. Last year, many teams had second-round grades on Jared Goff yet the Rams traded up to the first-overall pick for him. There were teams that had mid-round grades on E.J. Manuel and fourth-round grades on Christian Ponder, yet both of them went as top-16 picks in their NFL drafts. Many teams had second-round grades on Teddy Bridgewater, yet he went late in Round 1. Thus, you can't rule out that a quarterback-needy team won't be desperate enough to take Watson in the first round.

Player Comparison: Robert Griffin III. Watson and Griffin are similar size signal-callers with excellent athleticism, but both have deficiencies as passers. Both also played in a college point-machine spread offenses that don't correlate to the NFL. Watson may not get drafted as high as Griffin was, but Watson's work ethic and character could make him more successful than Griffin as a pro quarterback.

Now...that's one opinion (albeit claiming to be backed up by his NFL sources and I think it's accepted that Walterfootball does actually have them). I'm not saying to believe it or not question it. Walter even concedes that some teams not valuing him doesn't mean some other team won't take him 1st overall.

But it's still a very open question how worthy Watson is of being a 1st rounder, much less the 11th pick for a team who has Drew Brees still and likely for another 2-3 years.

I like the comparison to Robert Griffin III and it fits in most ways (stats, offensive system, play styles, abilities). So the question then becomes whether you think RG3 would be an elite QB without the injuries. And even if you do, do you want to count on a QB who's so reliant on mobility to succeed long term, hoping to avoid injuries? It's not just about being a "runner." Watson is much more than that and RG3 could throw the ball in college, obviously. But it's about whether they can play under center at the next level, move in the pocket, and make plays without needing to vacate or run around for 6 seconds. Good NFL teams will always take your mobility away from you eventually. Watson made a lot of great plays against Alabama for example. But were they analogous to opportunities he'll get against NFL defenses? These are all real questions.

BTW, since I was the first to bring up Vince Young, I'll just clarify that it had nothing to do with comparing the players as QBs.

It was in response to someone saying that Watson leading a game winning drive in the NC meant he's worthy of the 11th pick.

To me, I couldn't care less about that stuff. Lots of QBs have won NCs while not being much in the NFL and lots of QBs who are elite in the NFL didn't win NCs (perhaps all of them currently didn't win one? I'd have to look).

Yeah I have my worries about Watson, but I do still think he is first round worthy. I am not trained professional obviously, but for me personally, he passes the eye test and does a lot of things that make me think he could be an excellent QB. For me, a good comparison would be Donovan McNabb. I also see a little bit of Dak in him, and I think we can all agree that if the 2016 NFL draft could be re-done today, Dak is likely a top 10 pick. Not sure if I like the RG3 comp, because Watson isn't a guy that's going to run a 4.41 40.

Trubisky and Mahomes are the two guys I think could be the ones for us potentially.

Yeah I have my worries about Watson, but I do still think he is first round worthy.

Trubisky and Mahomes are the two guys I think could be the ones for us potentially.

I'm trying to be fair to both sides.

To me, his INTs don't bother me at all even though some are using that against him. But his 41 TDs don't also automatically mean much to me either.

I'll be curious to see how more scouts break him down in the coming months.

Gun to my head...do I think he goes in the 1st round? Yes. Someone will need a QB badly enough and it'll probably be a Bridgewater type situation where he goes later in the 1st.

Are we that team that just has no options and has to take him really early? I don't think so. I don't think any team is in that position until they no longer a QB ready to play. That's why most 1st round QBs start as rookies now.

Some feel differently, but I have no issue with waiting to take a QB the year Brees retires. I think that's the new way of the NFL and every up and coming QB started as a rookie in the past 5 years unless I'm missing someone. In the same vein, it seems like 1st round QBs who are groomed for 1-2 years flop just as often as the guys who start as rookies. They just cost their team more time.

I'm trying to be fair to both sides.

To me, his INTs don't bother me at all even though some are using that against him. But his 41 TDs don't also automatically mean much to me either.

I'll be curious to see how more scouts break him down in the coming months.

Gun to my head...do I think he goes in the 1st round? Yes. Someone will need a QB badly enough and it'll probably be a Bridgewater type situation where he goes later in the 1st.

Are we that team that just has no options and has to take him really early? I don't think so. I don't think any team is in that position until they no longer a QB ready to play. That's why most 1st round QBs start as rookies now.

Some feel differently, but I have no issue with waiting to take a QB the year Brees retires. I think that's the new way of the NFL and every up and coming QB started as a rookie in the past 5 years unless I'm missing someone. In the same vein, it seems like 1st round QBs who are groomed for 1-2 years flop just as often as the guys who start as rookies. They just cost their team more time.

True...but we also have to weigh the fact that we may not be picking this high again anytime soon along with the fact that while this QB class isn't "great," especially at the very top of the draft, it does seem pretty deep in terms of available mid-1st and 2nd round talent.

My whole thing is, regardless, we are at a point where if you like a guy that much, it is safe to take him now since his contract will exceed Drew's expiration date. There is no guarantee that you will fall in love with a prospect next year or the year after. If Coach absolutely loves Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky, or whoever, I think you really have to consider making the move.

Again, Brees' contract situation should also play a factor.

I'm hoping my gut is wrong. I personally
like Patrick Mahomes of Texas Tech and
Mason Rudolph from Okie state. I'd prefer
a top defender and one of these qbs a round
or two later. I believe our staff will be looking
to solidify the front four. If you can create
pressure with just 4 guys, that opens so many
options. In the end, we need another
bookend on the dline. Counting the days

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom