If Drew stays, do you think Sean Payton has to change his offensive strategy? (2 Viewers)

... Some of you need to go and watch DB's 2019 highlights and see him throw the ball 40-45 yrds in the air on target to a WR . Really some of you need breathalyzers on your keyboards
You have any specific highlights I can watch to back up that claim?

passer-rating-vs-league-avg_BRE229498_2019-reg-all_1577731106036.jpeg

After 2016, he basically stopped attempting deep throws because he realized that they were just as likely to be intercepted than caught.

The Saints haven’t drafted an offensive skill position player in the first round since Brandin Cooks in 2014. I think we need to inject some more play makers into the offense. Although I disagree that Brees is falling off a cliff I do agree he’s not the guy from 2011 who can just be Superman each week. Whether it’s an aging Brees or a young QB the team needs to surround them with talent. Like Elway had TD for the Broncos.

Mike T is special but he can’t be the only guy. Ginn seems washed and TQS has been a disappointment. Deonte Harris is intriguing and I expect his role to continue to grow but the WR position needs a big investment. At his best Brees had Colston, Moore, Henderson and Meachem. That was a solid corps of WRs.

I also think, for everyone clamoring to be a run first team, that would mean revamping the RB room as well. Is there something wrong with Kamara? Will he look like his old self in 2020? I don’t know but it seems like he can’t be an every down back. Can Murray be the featured back in a run heavy offense? Ideally the team could bring in a young back for competition.

I don’t think we’re going to completely change our offensive identity. Payton isn’t going to run 75% of the time. It’s not in his blood. But I do think we will see some tweaking and hopefully an infusion of talent at the skill positions.

Most of you guys are overthinking this. Winning it all is hard even when you have a historic year and everything otherwise seems to be working. Lamar the MVP and good ol' #12 can sling that rock all the way up and down the seams on a rope and all over the field. They're both watching the SB from home just like Drew, and neither one of them put up 46 points when they had their turn against SF. Hell, good ol' #12 didn't reach 30 points in two meetings combined.

Guys, we just didn't play well enough to win at the wrong time. You're driving yourselves and everyone else crazy. Dear God, I hope nobody in Drew's circle reads this (currently) embarrassing board. Here is what it took for our 13-3 team to lose in overtime:

- A perfect storm scenario where for only the third time in NFL history, a 13-3 team played during wild card weekend. Meanwhile, Minnesota had the benefit of resting their starters during week 17 while we fought for a bye. If you think that the deflation of even having to play a WC game at all combined with playing a rested team did not have an impact on the game, you probably also think that Drew's arm isn't strong enough to beat elite NFL defenses. The line play for the first three quarters of that game supported the scenario described above.

- A brilliant strategy by MIN to move their defense ends inside against the softer part of our offensive line featuring an OG in Peat who was playing in just his second game after returning from an extended injury absence. It took us a while to adjust.

- The first two-turnover game by our team the entire season.

- The first lost fumble by Drew the entire season, on a flukey hit from behind after a WR ran the wrong route and Drew had to pull the ball down instead of getting it out on schedule.

- A rare missed FG by Lutz at the end of the first half.

- Rare clock mis-management at the end of our last drive in regulation, ultimately creating a pre-snap penalty costing us more time. A situation that should have given us anywhere from 3-5 shots at the endzone to win in regulation instead saw us end the game with a timeout in our pocket.

- A surprisingly solid game from Kirk Cousins where he didn't try to do too much and let Dalvin Cook (with fresh legs from his own extended absence) do the heavy lifting.

- A missed OPI by Rudolph on the winning TD grab. I'm not even close to suggesting that the officials cost the Saints the game - the Saints lost the game for themselves - but it was a missed call in a big moment and factored in with all the mistakes that the Saints made.

It's pretty clear that Drew is still one of the best QB's in the game and far from the weak link on our team. There are many areas we can get better and thankfully the draft is set up for us to grab a quality WR2 this time. Winning in the playoffs will still come down to playing better than the opponent, overall talent, a little luck, and matchups. #9 is still more than good enough to get the job done.
Thank you

I'm still trying to figure out why Murray wasn't used more down the stretch and the playoffs.

As far as the Drew deep ball thing.,..trying to figure out whom people want Drew to throw the ball deep to. Ginn's existence was minimal this year. We had that player in Cooks and he's gone.

I'm willing to meet halfway on this and say Drew might be declining in that area, but also whom is our talent getting deep. I think the Saints need that type of WR talent in a big way. A true #2 opposite Thomas sure, but more importantly give me a burner. Get that, and I think the running game opens up to everyone's liking.

I'd like him to implement the game plan when Teddy was playing. The Panthers and Falcons ran a similar quick strike, run heavy, ball-control type offense that used to drive me bananas in their past winning seasons. I think Drew could run the wheels off that type of O.

Exactly. Murray and Kamara would be great in this system. I'm sure they could find another back to work this system also. Drew wouldn't have to throw for 300+ yards a game, but would be more effective in passing. There is nothing more exciting to watch in football than a team run it down your throat even when you know they are going to run it. And nothing more demoralizing to a team that can't stop the run.

Exactly. Murray and Kamara would be great in this system. I'm sure they could find another back to work this system also. Drew wouldn't have to throw for 300+ yards a game, but would be more effective in passing. There is nothing more exciting to watch in football than a team run it down your throat even when you know they are going to run it. And nothing more demoralizing to a team that can't stop the run.

SP would rather see Brees throw 40 times a game and everyone else take 5 attempts at running. The balance has been lost. Period! There is your area of change that is needed.

One thing is for sure and for certain and that is Sean Payton will give the passing game many many many many many more chances to work than he will ever give any semblance of a chance to a running game working!!

As Bill Parcells said when asked about Sean Payton..................."it's part of his sickness and he just can't help himself".

One thing is for sure and for certain and that is Sean Payton will give the passing game many many many many many more chances to work than he will ever give any semblance of a chance to a running game working!!

As Bill Parcells said when asked about Sean Payton..................."it's part of his sickness and he just can't help himself".
An excellent example of how someone's strength can be their weakness. When your a genius like Payton you don't want to call simple plays much like a very talented musician doesn't want to do a basic note or beat but they are necessary and compliment the brilliance of the symphony.

I would say the Saints have already changed their offense, to fit the limited talent at WR. Let me point out. There was/is no real WR that can take the top off the defense. Add in Brees can no longer get the ball deep with any velocity. He still can get the ball 50 yards down field, but with high school QB velocity. All said, the offense is now very bias towards more timing routes, than ever before. If the Saints ever want to get back to the Super Bowl, the offense has to become more diverse. Screen passes are no longer as effective as well. Why? Because the LB’s do not have to worry on making deeper drops. Everything goes hand in hand when you have the limitations mentioned. When the Saints had Meachum and Henderson and Drew had the VELOCITY on his deep throws, the offense was just about unstoppable. And this was with Shockey at TE, the year of the Super Bowl!

Just saying the obvious. We can be happy all day long with the current offensive scheme. The Saints will continue to have winning seasons. But if we enjoy not making to the Super Bowl, or even let’s say the NFCCG, then the Saints can continue to ride with what they have at WR and TE, along with Drew! They will win more then they lose.

You have any specific highlights I can watch to back up that claim?

passer-rating-vs-league-avg_BRE229498_2019-reg-all_1577731106036.jpeg

After 2016, he basically stopped attempting deep throws because he realized that they were just as likely to be intercepted than caught.
I just looked at the first DB highlight clip on youtube
:32 pass 45yrd in the air 1:31 40yrds in the air 3:29 35yrds in the air . Is DB gonna throw it 65 yrd down the field in the air at this stage ? Probably not nor does he need to most successful long passes travel about 30-50 yrds in the air. I also couldn't find the stat on how many long passes were dropped by Saints WR . If you are one of the people that think that opposing D's crowd the line or play closer in cause they think DB can't throw long anymore , that's just about the most absurd thing I've ever heard and I'd love to have opposing DC think that way

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom