If Drew stays, do you think Sean Payton has to change his offensive strategy? (1 Viewer)

Meh, I watch a lot of games aside from the Saints and feel we do a pretty darn good job of preserving clock and two-minute scoring compared to the rest of the league. Drew's historic performance in GWD's speaks for itself and doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Totally agree that our defense often craps the bed in two minute situations, but against MIN, they put us in a position to come back and win in the 4th

Part of the whole 11 guys within 20 yards has to do with lack of game breaking speed at WR.
On most teams, they only have 1or2 game breaking speed WRs if you’re lucky. We had cooks and didn’t utilize him. On the 09 SB run, how many game Braking speedsters did we have.

snead would have fit perfect in our current offense and he’s no where near burner speed, a ball control guy. At some point, the WR are all supposed to be talented enough to get drafted. If they are not getting open on a consistent basis, then that on the wr coach and the offense coordinator. I’m sure it’s also hard to get open when the defense knows that you QB is not going long with the ball and can play tight from the line of scrimmage to 20 yards deep.

Sean Payton is the best thing to happen to the Saints. Here is something I think many of us has noticed though. Payton gets bored with the run game. I watched the 49's against the Packers and the 1st thing that came to mind was "could I ever envision Payton being that patient with running the football even though it's winning the game?" Not yet but who knows.

He did show much more commitment when Teddy was the QB

Slice it any way you like to, we had no running game when we played the Vikings. End of story period. Kamara hurt, Payton basically forgot and ignored Murray, and there you go, no running game. And a grand total of one WR they had to cover. That is your offensive problem right there. You cannot be one dimensional against anyone in this league, especially in the post season, much less an elite defense like the Vikings. And God forbid if your gonna throw, have a WR group like KC that can be productive from their 1-4 WR, all those guys score from Hill to Watkins. Shame on Payton for thinking his system could carry these below average WR's and a hurt Kamara, bad decision making from the get go

Last edited:
If Drew stays, which I believe he will, do you think Sean Payton will change his offensive strategy from a pass happy offense to a run oriented offense?

Sean Payton, since 2006, and Drew as his QB, has always used the pass to set up the run. And Drew has been phenominal. The Saint's offense has always been in the top 10 every year. But, with Drew getting up in age, and to use his assets to their fullest capcity, wouldn't a run first strategy to set up the pass work better? There is no question that Drew is still one of the most accurate (if not the most accurate) QB's in the league. So a 70% run, 30% pass strategy would tremendously help Drew.

Could our offensive line handle that much of a change? Or would they have to completely retool?

And if Teddy Bridgewater becomes the next QB, I think a run first oriented offensive plan would help him also.

Now if Taysom becomes the next QB, you could run either. What are your thoughts?
We need road graders at guard to increase our success rate in the running game. We have drafted and signed players in the last 10 years who primarily could protect Brees. It will take years to retool this offense. But if we cant throw long then Payton cant run his offense and we are going to move downward fast. Payton had to see this coming when WR's did not want to play with Brees because of his arm weakness. Sign Teddy, he can throw long and move outside the pocket. He likes it in New Orleans. No brainer!

Slice it any way you like to, we had no running game when we played the Vikings. End of story period. Kamara hurt, Payton basically forgot and ignored Murray, and there you go, no running game. And a grand total of one WR they had to cover. That is your offensive problem right there. You cannot be one dimensional against anyone in this league, especially in the post season, much less an elite defense like the Vikings. And God forbid if your gonna throw, have a WR group like KC that can be productive from their 1-4 WR, all those guys score from Hill to Watkins. Shame on Payton for thinking his system could carry these below average WR's and a hurt Kamara, bad decision making from the get go
WR's with speed would make no difference in the saints offense. Brees is not accurate past 30 yards.

We're basically the mid 2000s Phoenix suns. Look great in the regular season, then in the playoffs when things get more physical, they underperform.

N/S And that time Amare Stoudemire got baited by Horry into leaving the bench and getting suspended for a Game 7.

texasjefe - this is scaring me. We are agreeing on a bunch of points recently - lol. Fun aside - I really like what you said.

You say that to all the girls.

We need road graders at guard to increase our success rate in the running game. We have drafted and signed players in the last 10 years who primarily could protect Brees. It will take years to retool this offense. But if we cant throw long then Payton cant run his offense and we are going to move downward fast. Payton had to see this coming when WR's did not want to play with Brees because of his arm weakness. Sign Teddy, he can throw long and move outside the pocket. He likes it in New Orleans. No brainer!

Which WR's did not want to play with Brees because of his arm weakness? I think you are making a statement which you have no proof. Never has this been stated. And if Teddy takes over because Drew retires, so be it. But when Teddy took over for the 5 games, that offense that would take years to retool all of a sudden could run the ball. The game plan was geared around rushing. Teddy averaged 241 yrds passing for his 5 starts, with only one game exceeding 300 yrds. So it could be done for Drew also, one of the most accurate QB's ever to play the game. Teddy averaged 6.2 per pass. And Teddy did not show he could escape on a consistent basis.

So if you can gear a game plan for Teddy to rush the ball more than passing, why not for Drew?

Last edited:
WR's with speed would make no difference in the saints offense. Brees is not accurate past 30 yards.

You need talent period. Not every pass has to be 30 yards to break one, and with Drew throwing we aren't throwing the long ball I think everyone realizes the obvious

On most teams, they only have 1or2 game breaking speed WRs if you’re lucky. We had cooks and didn’t utilize him. On the 09 SB run, how many game Braking speedsters did we have.

snead would have fit perfect in our current offense and he’s no where near burner speed, a ball control guy. At some point, the WR are all supposed to be talented enough to get drafted. If they are not getting open on a consistent basis, then that on the wr coach and the offense coordinator. I’m sure it’s also hard to get open when the defense knows that you QB is not going long with the ball and can play tight from the line of scrimmage to 20 yards deep.

Devery and Meachem

One of the more ridiculous posts I've seen , Just where is it reported and by whom that WR's didn't want to play with DB because of arm weakness? Give examples or it's a moronic statement . I like Teddy but he is NOT a mobile QB , never has been and he tends to hold the ball too long

Until the saints get another reciever to help micheal thomas. Yes they have to run the ball more.

Devery and Meachem
With those 2 and Reggie we had three players on offense who could run a sub 4.4.
Ginn might think he’s fast but I don’t believe we have anyone on this offense that’s as fast as any of those 3.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom