If Drew stays, do you think Sean Payton has to change his offensive strategy? (1 Viewer)

I think so. This strategy of having our offensive linemen get injured every year just isn't panning out. I mean yeah, I get it - it looks good on paper and that one team won the superbowl, but when has it succeeded lately?

Nothing wrong with Paytons offense, just need more talent on that side of the ball and stop going the cheap round with UDFA hoping to uncover a gem.

Ok then when was the last time that Brees hit a receiver in stride with any consistency?

As I said I love Brees as much as anyone but we knew this was coming.

It's a fact that defenses no longer fear that Brees will beat you with the deep ball and because of that the field that they have to defend has gotten smaller.
You don't love Brees with that bull you're spewing.

You people are really incredible. Just totally wiped out his epic play since he returned from the thumb injury all due to one game in which is offensive line got totally dominated.

The man put up 46 points on the vaunted 49ers defense. You know that 49ers defense that made Aaron Rodgers look like total crap twice. Yeah that 49ers defense.

You don't love Brees with that bull you're spewing.

You people are really incredible. Just totally wiped out his epic play since he returned from the thumb injury all due to one game in which is offensive line got totally dominated.

The man put up 46 points on the vaunted 49ers defense. You know that 49ers defense that made Aaron Rodgers look like total crap twice. Yeah that 49ers defense.

Oh really?? I thought that according to you guys that the reason the Saints lost had nothing to do with the Oline but more because of a lack of a solid #2 receiver opposite Thomas. So which is it?

I'm not ready to send Brees out of town on a rail just yet but the Saints need a contingency plan in place that they don't have yet.

Oh and thanks............................I think I'm pretty incredible myself!!

You need talent period. Not every pass has to be 30 yards to break one, and with Drew throwing we aren't throwing the long ball I think everyone realizes the obvious
Yeah this was very obvious in the pro bow. That 40 yard pass in the air not counting yac would’ve been 41 by the young Drew, not this washed up has been with a weak arm.

Last edited:
Yeah this was very obvious in the pro bow. That 40 yard pass in the air not counting yac would’ve been 41 by the young Drew, not this washed up has been with a weak arm.
naysayers will say if he would have thrown it 5 yards farther galladay would have scored lol. Pretty sure Drew and I are on the same page where i would rather complete a 40yard pass vs trying to to throw it further in hope of not overthrowing reciever.

Which WR's did not want to play with Brees because of his arm weakness? I think you are making a statement which you have no proof. Never has this been stated. And if Teddy takes over because Drew retires, so be it. But when Teddy took over for the 5 games, that offense that would take years to retool all of a sudden could run the ball. The game plan was geared around rushing. Teddy averaged 241 yrds passing for his 5 starts, with only one game exceeding 300 yrds. So it could be done for Drew also, one of the most accurate QB's ever to play the game. Teddy averaged 6.2 per pass. And Teddy did not show he could escape on a consistent basis.

So if you can gear a game plan for Teddy to rush the ball more than passing, why not for Drew?
Cook

Payton offense, the one LSU used to win a naty, requires deep passes be available to make defenses use the whole field. Defenses know we arent going to throw deep so they can position the defense to deny short passes and crash the line for runs.

I may be delusional but I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that Brees can still do the things that he was doing 5 years ago and then wallow in denial about it.

When I said when was the last time Brees hit a receiver in stride I was referring to deep routes 30, 40, or 50 yards down the field.

Even if the Saints had a deep threat WR who could blow the top off the defense what good would it do? Brees was something like 2-9 on deep routes last season and it wasn't solely because the intended receiver dropped the ball.

I love and respect Brees as much as anyone so don't even pretend to preach to me about how great he is. I've been watching the same player that everyone else has been watching for almost 2 decades!! He's not super human and playing QB in the NFL is a perishable skill. We ALL knew this was coming.
I agree with you on your statement. When I said Brees is handicapping the offense I got called stupid and other words. He is still accurate in the short and intermediate passes but past 35-40 yards. This does not mean I hate Brees or dont appreciate what he does or has done. Some of the experts even say that Brees cannot make a wide receiver like he used to be able to do. We have never had a devastating one two punch at wide receiver but better than what we have now. Brees is one of the top quarterbacks ever and definitely the best the Saints have had . He is just facing some limitations of being a forty- one year old man.

How did Manning win his last Superbowl? Defense. His atm was done done. Drew's arm is still there. Now we could see halfway through the year his arm die like Manning's did, so that defense has to be up to par.

Looking back at what happened this year, those losses of Davenport, and Rankins in the same game late in the season absolutely killed us. Couple that with missing out on a bye week, and looking like zombies for 3 quarters against Vikings. Mental and physically tired and beat up.

So many things have to go right for you to win the Superbowl. IMHO, staying healthy is the biggest factor for a skilled team.

You have to have the ball bounce your way, get some call go your way (ok, we know we don't get that one), and stay healthy.

I think we can all say our defense stepped up when Drew was out and was different when he came back. Injuries certainly had something to do with it, but they kinda went back to the Drew will bail us out menatilality. Not every game, mind you. They came up when they needed too during the regular season. We had back to back 13-3 seasons for crying out loud.

The defense and Oline crumbled in the playoffs. I thinking coaching did as well.

If we were more balanced like we were when Teddy was starting we may have been 14-2, 15-1.

During the Vikings game it was watching the Falcons game all over again. We walked I thinking we were going to walk right through it and waited for Drew to bail us out. That was on the coaching staff. The run was working in both games, but as we all know Sean gets a case of the "passes." He just doesn't want to run.

A true WR 2 option and a more run balanced gameplan is what we need on offense. More depth and speed on defense wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:

Cook was detrimental to the team chemistry. He was/is a "me only" person. That is why he was on three teams in 3 years. He is a good receiver, but it was the Saint's who got rid of him because of his attitude, not because Cooks thought Drew was a week armed QB. He did not like the Saint's drafting Michael Thomas and thought his touches were being taken away by Thomas. So if that is your answer to "Which WR's did not want to play with Brees because of his arm weakness?", then you are delusional. Plus you said wide receivers, plural. So who else?

Cook was detrimental to the team chemistry. He was/is a "me only" person. That is why he was on three teams in 3 years. He is a good receiver, but it was the Saint's who got rid of him because of his attitude, not because Cooks thought Drew was a week armed QB. He did not like the Saint's drafting Michael Thomas and thought his touches were being taken away by Thomas. So if that is your answer to "Which WR's did not want to play with Brees because of his arm weakness?", then you are delusional. Plus you said wide receivers, plural. So who else?
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know he was talking about Brandin Cooks, thought he was referring to Jared Cook, our Pro Bowl TE - which would have made zero sense.

And I don't remember Cooks saying anything about Drew's arm strength on his way out the door. He showed it was all about him in a game where we literally dominated but he didn't get any targets. He's the opposite of a team player and the writing was on the wall after that game when he tweeted something to the effect of "Closed mouths don't get fed."

Last edited:
Yeah the 36 ppg we averaged over the last 7 games of the regular season isn't acceptable.

We need a major overhaul to our approach.

We have altered the approach. When was the last time Brees chucked it downfield? He’s 41 years old...there is absolutely no reason to not expect that we will become increasingly conservative.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom