If Duece isn't 100% next season... (1 Viewer)

GSaint

US Army Retired
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I believe with the combination of Thomas and Stecker and using Bush on select plays we should be ok in the running game.

Well, if the worst case scenario happens, and Deuce will never be the same player, which unfortunately is quite likely, as 2 torn acls in 3 years is not going to make him better, our coaches will revamp our running game to fit the tools we have.
I doubt we will run the Deuce and Reggie sets without Deuce. Our coaches laid out those sets after they heard the Texans had passed on RB.
They have done it before, and , with a new RBs coach coming in, they will change our running game to fit our strengths, not keep what we used to do successfully.
I think splitting Pierre, Steck, and Reggie in would be great, as it would give coach more creativity with 3 backs who all bring different skill sets to the table. Our offensive gameplan will be the best possible if Deuce is not there.

why does Reggie's role as a runningback have to be deminshed? how exactly do you improve a player by giving him less work, or making him one demensional? Reggie Bush is the starting runningback on this team, we spent the 2nd overall pick on this guy, just because he isnt ready to carry the load of a run game doesnt mean he shouldnt be given the opportunity?

Granted, Pierre is a good back and I think we got a gem in him, but he's insurance for Duece not Reggie, to get the best out of Reggie Bush he has to be used as a runner/reciever out of the backfield, he is a matchup problems for Linebackers, not so much split out wide, Reggie Bush is not a wide reciever, he is a runningback with "recieving" ability, I think i'm more frustrated that in only his 2nd year people on this board have already decided he cant do it, which is strange to me, because its not like he hasnt had good running games, so why are people acting like were trying to make Peter Warrick a runningback and with a back like Thomas, the things we are crying about Reggie Bush needing to do more consistently, we have that in Thomas, it shouldnt mean switch Bush's position, it means Bush doesnt have to be relegated to the backfield, defenses have to keep an eye out for where he is and while doing so, Thomas can get his touches and make his impact.

Dont get it twisted, if Bush is struggling in the run game, feed Thomas the ball more by all means (you can be a fan of both) I like Thomas, he is a Marques Colston type player, hard worker that came in with very little fan fare, and proved his worth, you cant deny him...he wont be denied. but I dont think you have to show your support for Thomas by giving up on Bush, we want everybody to succeed, I got love for both and cant wait to see Thomas get significant touches next year and I cant wait to see if Bush has improved.

If Deuce isn't 100% next season...

I think Deuce will be cut this offseason. He will be asked back at a lower price, but i don't see that happening. If he does return, he's no longer the focus of our run offense,

i don't know what's gonna happen with deuce... he'll be asked to restructure and, since he's on record as saying he'd like to retire a saint, he might do it.. even if not 100%, and i don't see how he possibly can be, he can perform a valuable service by teaching the young RBs how to be a pro - assuming they listen

why does Reggie's role as a runningback have to be deminshed? how exactly do you improve a player by giving him less work, or making him one demensional? Reggie Bush is the starting runningback on this team, we spent the 2nd overall pick on this guy, just because he isnt ready to carry the load of a run game doesnt mean he shouldnt be given the opportunity?

Granted, Pierre is a good back and I think we got a gem in him, but he's insurance for Duece not Reggie, to get the best out of Reggie Bush he has to be used as a runner/reciever out of the backfield, he is a matchup problems for Linebackers, not so much split out wide, Reggie Bush is not a wide reciever, he is a runningback with "recieving" ability, I think i'm more frustrated that in only his 2nd year people on this board have already decided he cant do it, which is strange to me, because its not like he hasnt had good running games, so why are people acting like were trying to make Peter Warrick a runningback and with a back like Thomas, the things we are crying about Reggie Bush needing to do more consistently, we have that in Thomas, it shouldnt mean switch Bush's position, it means Bush doesnt have to be relegated to the backfield, defenses have to keep an eye out for where he is and while doing so, Thomas can get his touches and make his impact.

Dont get it twisted, if Bush is struggling in the run game, feed Thomas the ball more by all means (you can be a fan of both) I like Thomas, he is a Marques Colston type player, hard worker that came in with very little fan fare, and proved his worth, you cant deny him...he wont be denied. but I dont think you have to show your support for Thomas by giving up on Bush, we want everybody to succeed, I got love for both and cant wait to see Thomas get significant touches next year and I cant wait to see if Bush has improved.

I don't understand a lot of people's obsession with having Reggie as THE starter. Its not an insult to him if he's not the starting RB. Reggie is that rare athlete who can be placed anywhere at anytime and present a matchup problem with anyone. I think the starting RB should be someone who can be a solid force in the backfield all the time and I just don't think that's Reggie's strength. Don't get me wrong I love watching Reggie play and think he should be in on all the plays but not in the RB1 spot. I don't think anyone here or on the coaching staff is 100% sure of where he would be the best. I just hope we don't waste his contract years trying to force him into a Deuce role. I'm convinced that they had it right in Reggie's first year. Man that was awesome to watch.

I don't understand a lot of people's obsession with having Reggie as THE starter. Its not an insult to him if he's not the starting RB. Reggie is that rare athlete who can be placed anywhere at anytime and present a matchup problem with anyone. I think the starting RB should be someone who can be a solid force in the backfield all the time and I just don't think that's Reggie's strength. Don't get me wrong I love watching Reggie play and think he should be in on all the plays but not in the RB1 spot. I don't think anyone here or on the coaching staff is 100% sure of where he would be the best. I just hope we don't waste his contract years trying to force him into a Deuce role. I'm convinced that they had it right in Reggie's first year. Man that was awesome to watch.

I'm with you on this one - Thomas has shown he deserves a spot at the Deuce role, the pounding, bruising back who can "Finish runs" and run like a 250 pounder.

The reason people have concluded Bush can't do it is because he still dances around rather than hitting the hole, two yars into the league. To me, he needs to prove that he can, rather than our needing to prove he can't. I just haven't seen the evidence he can be a productive back; instead I see one who waits for the opportunity to run past everyone, but never gets it because the league is just too darn fast.

Let Steck walk... keep PT as the primary back behind Deuce... use Reggie as we did last season... give him 10-12 carries... 7-8 receptions... punt returns... and a few of those "Ghost motion" reverses.

have a competition in TC for the 4th RB spot... Barclay is actually a good abck, and could serve the role as ST/RB/KR if needed... but bring other guys in (UDFAs) to compete for the spot... you never know if we'd get another Pierre Thomas out of it.

I'm not saying not get Reggie the ball...i'm just saying use him more like we did the 1st year. Let him catch those screen passes, line up in the slot and run it a few times, as well as KR/PR time also.

i just think that reggie tries to hard to make the big play everytime he gets a carry because he knows that for some reason they wont give him the rock that often. he very rarely gets the chance to have 20 carries a game so until he gets that on a consistent basis i will not say that he has or hasnt proven that he can be the go to running back. the kid works as hard as anyone on this team and whether you like it or not is our most explosive player by far on this team. but we will never know how good of a running back he can be unless we let him be a running back.

My solution would be let PT be our starting RB and put Bush in the slot and on occation put him in 2 back set w/ PT.

bush and thomas as our primary 2 backs, and jamaal branch as our 3rd back. if duece is still going to be effective then awesome, but i don't see it happening after the injuries

bush and thomas as our primary 2 backs, and jamaal branch as our 3rd back. if duece is still going to be effective then awesome, but i don't see it happening after the injuries

Branch might never be capable of being an NFL back again

was branch's leg that badly injured? i never thought of a broken leg as a career ending injury. what were the details on it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom