If Ellis is gone do we reach for someone or trade? (1 Viewer)

Jackson isnt even the best wr in the draft if ellis is gone we take rivers or phillips or trade back and take conner

I am starting to think there may be a couple teams from 14-17 or so that will be looking to jump on an offensive player. If not then I think the saints invest into the future and take a OT Clady.

It seems as though the off season will be yet another event filled one. We need help all across the d-fense and I for one would love to see a major shake up. That could be by way of scheme change, coaching, trade and of course FA.

At this point I'd almost rather trade down. That feeling could change after the combine but I think a good balance of FA's and draft picks are essential to the future success of this coming season.

Personally I feel that there are still many questions to answer one way or another..... Can last years number one actually play in a game? Regardless, another receiver is needed.

Do you remember the horrible play of the O-Line? This may need to be addressed in FA but I remember when Drew had happy feet during the year. This can't happen again.

Do we work something out for Will Smith? I'm not sure on this one myself. I'd almost rather see what he can do during the year and see if this guy shines. I really didn't care for the play of Will or Charles this year.

What about the running back situation? Do you truly wait and see if #26 can make it back? We see that Reggie isn't the guy in this capacity but did we like PT enough to gamble with the up coming year?

OMG! Yet another year of needing a LB or two! What the hell.... can we just solve this issue already? At this point I can't see anyone at the 10 spot. I'm sorry.... we may need to spend SOME money here to get what we need. Maybe draft a youngster in the second or third as well.

What in the HELL do we do about Jason David. This has turned out to be a true mess. Do we change schemes? Do you cut our loses and trade him? Regardless he and others have been a big let down. Now with the Predator injured what do we do NOW? I'm sure we'll find something in the draft but again..... I don't see much at the 10 spot to warrant reaching for someone.

Did I miss the Safety position...........lol and what about a 3 technique?

WOW.... thats alot to get in one off season let alone one post.

I think we can be alright at WR by re-signing Patten and Copper, and having Meach step in. Lance Moore at #5.

The O-line will be O.K. They'll either re-sign Faine or Goodwin (or both with Goodwin replacing Nesbit) and Alleman's got to be close to stepping in.

Will Smith isn't going anywhere... He's not getting a new contract this offseason either. He'll have next season to prove his worth.

Our biggest need is DT. Hollis Thomas is 34 years old and has to get himself back in shape every TC... His time is running out. Brian Young is an UFA, and IMHO, not worth the money to re-sign. The rest of our DTs are mediocre, rotational, type guys. We really need a DT to give us some pass-rush up the middle, and another to be Hollis' successor... but we absolutely need at least 1 true starter at this position.

I really think MLB will be addressed through the draft (2nd or 3rd round). The possibility of Vilma does exist, but I wouldn't hold my breath... and we still don't know how healthy he's going to be.

WLB needs to be upgraded almost as bad as MLB. Shanle is just not starting caliber... PERIOD. He's too slow and unathletic to be anyone's starting WLB. He's a nice back-up/STer at best.

CB is obviously a big need, but if we can't fix our pass rush, it won't matter who we get... they'll get burned. Usama's got a chance to be a solid starter with more experience, and for as bad as he was all year last year, Jason David did improve later in the season, and he's not too expensive from this point on. Craft is a decent 3rd or 4th CB, and FT is finished. Hopefully MM heals quickly and fully. We need a solid young CB.

We need a threat at KR/PR. This could come with a rookie CB or RB.

Safety is another need. Harper's got a chance to still be a quality starter, and I'm willing to give him some more time. Bullocks has proven himself to be ineffective and incompetent at the position. KK is a solid vet, but he's not getting any better at this point. We could really use a play-maker at the Safety spot, but it's not the biggest need we have.

I am starting to think there may be a couple teams from 14-17 or so that will be looking to jump on an offensive player. If not then I think the saints invest into the future and take a OT Clady.

I was joking obviously in my last comment. I've a real strong feeling we're going to draft an offensive tackle. If the value is not there for a defensive player I have no problem taking a bookend. Trading down would be ideal, but you have to have trade partners. If your phone doesn't ring or you're being offered peanuts you are stuck in that slot

The Bears and the Lions both need to improve their O-lines, and if Clady is on the board at 10, they'll be tempted. BTW, Clady's a BEAST.

I'd take Detroit's #15 overall pick, their 1st next year, and a 4th this year for #10.

Honestly, If Kenny Phillips is not available at #10 I would be fine with Clandy, Sedrick Ellis is undersized for a DT and I really don't believe that he will transition that well to the NFL. The scouting reports say he's pretty much maxed out at 285 and 6'1". That's just not enough to move a 350 lbs guard. If we took Clandy and moved Jamaal back to RT I think our line would instantly become dominant. On the prospects of a trade, I'd want a first round swap and 2008's 3rd and 4th if they're coming from the teens. If it's 20's then I'd want 2nd 3rd and next years 3rd. There is a lot of mid-level talent in this years draft and I would love to see us pick up a few extra picks on the first day.

You know, I know most here will be "Oh no another DE" but I am really wanting Gholston if Ellis isn't there (and I doubt he is). However, I also think New England (assuming they stay at 7) will take a long hard look at Gholston.

However I would not mind at all getting Gholston at 10 and sparking the pass rush.

You know, I know most here will be "Oh no another DE" but I am really wanting Gholston if Ellis isn't there (and I doubt he is). However, I also think New England (assuming they stay at 7) will take a long hard look at Gholston.

However I would not mind at all getting Gholston at 10 and sparking the pass rush.

Gholston will get loooong looks from both the NY Jets and the Pats... Still, we could do alot worse than grabbing him at #10.

CB is obviously a big need, but if we can't fix our pass rush, it won't matter who we get... they'll get burned. Usama's got a chance to be a solid starter with more experience, and for as bad as he was all year last year, Jason David did improve later in the season, and he's not too expensive from this point on. Craft is a decent 3rd or 4th CB, and FT is finished. Hopefully MM heals quickly and fully. We need a solid young CB.

The thought of going into this season with basically the same secondary is absurd. There is no justifying this. Even when we had a decent pass rush these guys simply cannot cover. PERIOD! We need help there. Big time. We need to stop fooling ourselves thinking we can get by with these 2nd and 3rd tier CBs. You cannot win football games like this. We need to invest in talent. I would think that YEARS of us getting burned would have opened everyone's eyes to this. Am I the only one who watched Chicago... YES CHICAGO torch our secondary TWO years in a row. My friends those games had NOTHING to do with lack of a pass rush.

The thought of going into this season with basically the same secondary is absurd. There is no justifying this. Even when we had a decent pass rush these guys simply cannot cover. PERIOD! We need help there. Big time. We need to stop fooling ourselves thinking we can get by with these 2nd and 3rd tier CBs. You cannot win football games like this. We need to invest in talent. I would think that YEARS of us getting burned would have opened everyone's eyes to this. Am I the only one who watched Chicago... YES CHICAGO torch our secondary TWO years in a row. My friends those games had NOTHING to do with lack of a pass rush.

When they get some LB's who can cover their own position the safety's will be able to play back more often and those long completions will end. Usama is going to be good but like all CB's it takes time for them to adjust. JD will be OK and much better if he is the only weak link on the defense.

If they get a CB in the 3rd or 4th I would be happy. In the first, it better be Deon Sanders#2.

Last edited:
I think we can be alright at WR by re-signing Patten and Copper, and having Meach step in. Lance Moore at #5.

The O-line will be O.K. They'll either re-sign Faine or Goodwin (or both with Goodwin replacing Nesbit) and Alleman's got to be close to stepping in.

Will Smith isn't going anywhere... He's not getting a new contract this offseason either. He'll have next season to prove his worth.

Our biggest need is DT. Hollis Thomas is 34 years old and has to get himself back in shape every TC... His time is running out. Brian Young is an UFA, and IMHO, not worth the money to re-sign. The rest of our DTs are mediocre, rotational, type guys. We really need a DT to give us some pass-rush up the middle, and another to be Hollis' successor... but we absolutely need at least 1 true starter at this position.

I really think MLB will be addressed through the draft (2nd or 3rd round). The possibility of Vilma does exist, but I wouldn't hold my breath... and we still don't know how healthy he's going to be.

WLB needs to be upgraded almost as bad as MLB. Shanle is just not starting caliber... PERIOD. He's too slow and unathletic to be anyone's starting WLB. He's a nice back-up/STer at best.

We need a threat at KR/PR. This could come with a rookie CB or RB.

Safety is another need. Harper's got a chance to still be a quality starter, and I'm willing to give him some more time. Bullocks has proven himself to be ineffective and incompetent at the position. KK is a solid vet, but he's not getting any better at this point. We could really use a play-maker at the Safety spot, but it's not the biggest need we have.

i agree witih u for the most part. however, i still think we should upgrade the oline and wr position. our oline are better passblockers than runblockers. we need huge maulers that can move dlines backwards. where can those be found? heck who knows, we certainly haven't found any and if there are any out there, their services will require a lot of $$.

for the wr position, only colston is reliable but he is too heavily counted on. all our other guys suffer the case of "dropsies" with devery leading the bunch. bring on another vet to help out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom