If Fisher, Mingo, Jordan, Ansah Gone, Then Who In 1st? (1 Viewer)

I am also a proponent of trading down. Belfast Saint (who knows way more then I do on offensive lines) really likes Johson, but I would be very tempted to trade to the bottom of the first and get Fluker to be our right tackle for years.

With whatever he get, maybe we can compensate and get a safety, if Vaccaro and Elam are gone, maybe try to get Rambo or another ball hawk later.

Safety is the biggest need I think we have right now, but if we can't do anything with Bushrod, then both tackle positions are in real danger for us next season.

It's dependent on what happens with Bushrod - if we're in the same position at LT and RT as the start of last year, then I'd look for a trade down too maybe. I like Johnson well enough, but I'd prefer Fisher. Fisher probably trumps some of top D prospects whereas Johnson is a good choice if we have a need and there's none of the top impact defenders left.

Like anything, the draft for us and all other teams will be heavily influenced by Free Agency.

If Bushrod Stays, we're drafting a NT or OLB.. maybe other Defensive positions.

If Bushrod leaves, OT gets added to that list.

For Miami, if Long leaves, they may not draft a WR in the first round, they may get a LT of the future.

KC really sets the tone. If they trade or pick up a QB, then they will not draft one. Or they still might draft one.. depends on who they pick up. If they get Flynn for cheap, they might still draft a QB. Does KC have OL issues? I know they've drafted a lot of OL guys in the past. Their pick, or if they trade out of it, will dictate the entire draft.

Then, what do the Jags do? If KC doesnt' pick a QB, does Jacksonville give up on their QB and draft Geno Smith?

Then later you have the Lions. Smart money is that they take the best traditional DE on the board, or the top CB. Again, if they take CB, then a lot of pass rushers are still on the board.

Cleveland is another wild card. Everyone has them picking up defense, since they are transitioning back to a 3-4. I think people forget that they ran a 3-4 just a couple years ago. They also might still be looking for help at TE or WR. Maybe they steal Miami's WR?

The Cardinals are another huge wild card. They need a real QB. Or one that will stay healthy. Do they stick with their guy of glass, pick up someone like Alex Smith, or draft? Again, depends on what KC does.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that we have a lot of moving pieces here. As usual, the team will have to fall in love with about 15 guys in the first round.

I'm not normally one for playing the whole trade game.

But if we where to down in the 1st round then I think Cincinnati would be the ideal team to strike a deal with.

Cincy holds picks #21, #37, #53, #84

So let's take a look at the draft pick trade value chart.

tradevaluechart.jpg

#15 is worth 1050 points

#21 and #37 are worth a combined 1330 points.

Now let's say they are as high on Alec Ogletree as their fans are, and given that they would need to leap frog the Steelers, Giants and Bears to ensure they land him.

This trade could be a real possibility.

We could then go after someone like Margus Hunt, DE SMU or Alex Okafor, DE, Texas at #21 and still possibly snag DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama with pick #37

A dream first 3 rounds for me (provided we get our second rounder back)

#15 Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
Alternative selection : Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU

#42 Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
Alternative selection : D.J Fluker, OT, Alabama

#75 Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
Alternative selection : Robert Woods, WR, USC

If they are all gone, and I assume that someone like Jones or Lotulelei has not fallen, then I would take either Kenny Vaccaro or Alec Ogletree. The option to trade down is also available though a team has to want to trade up. Jonathan Hankins would also draw strong consideration.

I would not touch John Jenkins in the first round. He is massive, powerful yet not in the best shape. He is a player who becomes winded, which can lead to disappearing in stretches. Mike Detillier believes Bunkley is our starting NT heading into next season so at this point, you are better off adding a rotational player at the position unless you are getting some dynamic talent you cannot pass up like Lotulelei or even Hankins. In the second, you can add someone like Kawann Short who comes in, fits into the rotation, and eventually takes over as the starter. In the third, there is Brandon Williams. Drafting Jenkins in the first, however, just seems a tad counterproductive. If we cannot get a pass-rusher, I think it is better to take a safety or Ogletree to project him to ILB.

On Lane Johnson, I think he is the third rated OT in this draft but I think there are better options than him at #15. Besides, I expect us to address OT in free agency whether it is re-signing Bushrod or bringing in someone else at the position.

Moore, Ansah, Jordan, J. Jones, Werner, Lotululei, Mingo, and Hankins.

They should be top eight names on the Saints big board. And every Saints fan should be happy to snag one of those guys.

When was the last time that 8 DL/LBs went in the top 14? 2001.

When was the last time that 6 4-3 DE/3-4 OLBs went in the top 14? I don't know if it has EVER occurred. I stopped looking at 1990...but from 1990 until 2012 there has never been five 4-3 DE/3-4 OLBs taken in the top 14.

I can just about guarentee that one of the names I mentioned above WILL be there. The reason is that regardless of how good this draft is for pass rushers...teams will also have other needs. There will be at least one...but more likely, two QBs. There will probably be a WR. There will probably be 3-4 linemen. And there will probably be 1-2 CB/S. I am willing to bet there not just one of the guys from my list will be there...but two if not three will be there for our choosing.

I certainly wouldn't trade back to draft Margus Hunt

Come draft day I just don't see anyway this freak of nature stays out of the first round.

Anytime I've had a chance to watch him I just keep getting higher and higher on him... His age is the only thing raises a slight issue with me given that he'll be 26 when he plays his first NFL snap.

What have you seen in his tape that puts you off him, dude?

Moore, Ansah, Jordan, J. Jones, Werner, Lotululei, Mingo, and Hankins.

They should be top eight names on the Saints big board. And every Saints fan should be happy to snag one of those guys.

When was the last time that 8 DL/LBs went in the top 14? 2001.

When was the last time that 6 4-3 DE/3-4 OLBs went in the top 14? I don't know if it has EVER occurred. I stopped looking at 1990...but from 1990 until 2012 there has never been five 4-3 DE/3-4 OLBs taken in the top 14.

I can just about guarentee that one of the names I mentioned above WILL be there. The reason is that regardless of how good this draft is for pass rushers...teams will also have other needs. There will be at least one...but more likely, two QBs. There will probably be a WR. There will probably be 3-4 linemen. And there will probably be 1-2 CB/S. I am willing to bet there not just one of the guys from my list will be there...but two if not three will be there for our choosing.

You've pretty much nailed exactly what I've been saying/thinking. :9:

Come draft day I just don't see anyway this freak of nature stays out of the first round.

Anytime I've had a chance to watch him I just keep getting higher and higher on him... His age is the only thing raises a slight issue with me given that he'll be 26 when he plays his first NFL snap.

What have you seen in his tape that puts you off him, dude?

He just isn't a good football player. Believe it or not...football is a skill. You just can't go in will only natural talent. Sure...he's a great athlete with an NFL body...but he doesn't know the skill of playing football. He may learn it...but he is YEARS away. This is NOT like Jimmy Graham. Graham, though new to the game...was dominate in college. I think that Ansah is a much better comparison to Graham. Hunt is just some tall buff guy.

I like the idea of trading down, and picking up more picks. I don't see a whole lot of difference between pick #1 and pick #32, really. It all depends on what we need. I think with the switch to 3-4, NT may have become the biggest need. Hicks, to me, even with his size seemed more to fit in the 4-3 3 tech, DT, than NT. Is Bunkley big enough to fill that role. Doesn't seem to be. I think u need a 330+ monster in the middle of the 3-4 Defense to truly be sucessful. An immovable object. The only guy who runs a successful 3-4 without a huge NT, that I know of, is Wade Phillips. Maybe we trade down and pick up Jessee Williams from Alabama, or John Jenkins from Ga.

Hunt? I hope he does better in the nfl than what he did in the senior bowl. He couldn't contain even my granma, every action was rush rush rush and any rb or wr in a reverse (not so say what would happen with these option plays in the nfl) could run in the open space he left.

He just isn't a good football player. Believe it or not...football is a skill. You just can't go in will only natural talent. Sure...he's a great athlete with an NFL body...but he doesn't know the skill of playing football. He may learn it...but he is YEARS away. This is NOT like Jimmy Graham. Graham, though new to the game...was dominate in college. I think that Ansah is a much better comparison to Graham. Hunt is just some tall buff guy.

Maybe I'm just terrible at evaluating talent but I have to completely disagree with you're assumption he isn't a good Football player.

I guess time will tell. :9:

Hunt? I hope he does better in the nfl than what he did in the senior bowl. He couldn't contain even my granma, every action was rush rush rush and any rb or wr in a reverse (not so say what would happen with these option plays in the nfl) could run in the open space he left.

Admittedly I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the Senior Bowl. I'll probably do that later today. However I did just re watch the Hawaii Bowl this past weekend and Hunt was flat out dominant!

My top 3, 1st round picks, based on our #15 draft slot:

1. Ezekiel Ansah - OLB
2. Jesse Williams - NT
3. Dion Jordan - OLB

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom