If Fisher, Mingo, Jordan, Ansah Gone, Then Who In 1st? (1 Viewer)

Maybe I'm just terrible at evaluating talent but I have to completely disagree with you're assumption he isn't a good Football player.

I guess time will tell. :9:

Admittedly I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the Senior Bowl. I'll probably do that later today. However I did just re watch the Hawaii Bowl this past weekend and Hunt was flat out dominant!

Yes, Hunt struggled. He's an outstanding athlete but not a "football" player. I was surprised with his performance. At a time when he could have moved himself up, I think he hurt his stock. I still suspect him to get drafted high though he's most likely a 2nd to 3rd rounder. You cannot teach his size and athleticism but he has to polish his game. At this age, that becomes a huge concern.

I know it aint just me but the Falcons won the Division and when we played the Bucs Vincent Jackson had a field day,don't forget when we played Dallas Dez Bryant caugh all jump Balls,I say dat to say "WE NEED BIG CORNERS" Greer I don't know if the last two years he been hurt but he looks like he don't want to tackle nomore,Jonathan Banks,Xavier Rhodes,David Amerson,Tharold Simon,Poyer I mean there are nice Big Corners Guys!!!

I like the idea of trading down, and picking up more picks. I don't see a whole lot of difference between pick #1 and pick #32, really. It all depends on what we need. I think with the switch to 3-4, NT may have become the biggest need. Hicks, to me, even with his size seemed more to fit in the 4-3 3 tech, DT, than NT. Is Bunkley big enough to fill that role. Doesn't seem to be. I think u need a 330+ monster in the middle of the 3-4 Defense to truly be sucessful. An immovable object. The only guy who runs a successful 3-4 without a huge NT, that I know of, is Wade Phillips. Maybe we trade down and pick up Jessee Williams from Alabama, or John Jenkins from Ga.

Graham was dominant in college you say? While scoring 5TDs is a nice stat, he only had 17 receptions and 213 yards. Dominant implies other teams game planning against you. 17 receptions and 213 yards over 6 games doesn't translate to dominant.

Yes, Hunt struggled. He's an outstanding athlete but not a "football" player. I was surprised with his performance. At a time when he could have moved himself up, I think he hurt his stock. I still suspect him to get drafted high though he's most likely a 2nd to 3rd rounder. You cannot teach his size and athleticism but he has to polish his game. At this age, that becomes a huge concern.

I remember the exact same things where said about Jason Pierre Paul.

Don't get me wrong he's at the very bottom of my list of potential picks at DE within the top 50. But if he explodes at the combine I think he'll creep into 1st round.

Come draft day I just don't see anyway this freak of nature stays out of the first round.

Anytime I've had a chance to watch him I just keep getting higher and higher on him... His age is the only thing raises a slight issue with me given that he'll be 26 when he plays his first NFL snap.

What have you seen in his tape that puts you off him, dude?

My problems with us drafting Margus Hunt in the late 1st (assuming we can find a trade partner) are as follows:

1. While he has great physical tools to work with, he demonstrated at the senior bowl when faced with the top players coming out of college he wasn't quite there yet. In the game itself he made the tackles he faced look good - Terron Armstrong had no trouble with him and the one time he put a decent inside move on Johnson, Johnson flipped his hips and redirected without too much trouble.
2. At this point in his development he's probably best suited to a 4-3 LDE where he can utilise his strength and length but also create some mismatches with his quickness against RT's
3. He might also project to a 3-4 DE but I think he'll need time to adapt.
4. We don't need a 4-3 LDE
5. We have two young and talented guys who can play 3-4 DE with at least two decent backup options
6. He's 26 and by the time he develops enough for us to become a really good 3-4 DE (which we don't really need), he'll be 28-29
7. If we come out of the 1st round with nothing but a developmental backup in a position we're already pretty good in, I'll shoot myself

Nothing against him personally. Great to see more Europeans get into the NFL. But he doesn't fit what we need and by the time he'd be ready to play, he'll be ready to start planning his career after the NFL.

The only way he'd make sense for us is if we had an aging 4-3 LDE and we wanted someone talented to come in, share time for a year and then take over. And even then there are others I'd take before Hunt because of his age.

This draft is deep and top heavy with defensive talent. We will be able to get a good player, no doubt about it.

If I were an NFL GM, i'd be leary of Mingo. He's a great athlete but he is kind of in between positions. He is too small to be a true NFL defensive lineman, so the natural thing would be to move him to LB, but I wonder if there is a reason why he did not play LB in college. LB's need more vision, instinct, and smarts than a pass rushing DL, and I wonder if he is lacking these qualities. There is just something about him that is a reg flag for me. How many busts have been on guys who are in between positions.

because LSU runs a 4-3, not a 3-4...

margus hunt is very very overrated, hope the falcons take him

also there is no way in the world that when we pick that 1 of these players wont be there and they are
ALL studs

star
jarvis
werner
moore
mingo
dion
ansah
joeckel
fisher
milliner
richardson
okafor
lane johnson
ogletree

This is my mock draft 1-15 showing team needs. Any which way they mix the lottery balls, there will be a few defensive players for us to choose from. They can't all disappear.

Attachments

• SAINTS DRAFT.JPG
    SAINTS DRAFT.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 3
Best OT. Would like to get Sheldon Richardson. Richardson, Hicks, and Jordan sounds like a good front 3 to me. Like Ogletree too.

I'm of the opinion that our top 3 needs, in order, are:

1. NT
2. OLB (Pass Rusher Variety)
3. SS

If Ansah is there at #15 we would be dumb to pass him over. He's still my fave 1st round prospect.

Graham was dominant in college you say? While scoring 5TDs is a nice stat, he only had 17 receptions and 213 yards. Dominant implies other teams game planning against you. 17 receptions and 213 yards over 6 games doesn't translate to dominant.

I have no clue what you are talking about. My post says we need a NT. Nothing about Graham.

I actually think Hunt may be better 3-4 DE than 4-3 DE. I don't know if I would take him in the first, but if we trade out of the first for 2 seconds, he may be a good pick. He is a bit raw, but at 6'7" 285, he is very strong and powerful. He moved around a lot at SMU, kicking in to DT. I could see him being a very solid 3-4 DE even as a rookie.

My problems with us drafting Margus Hunt in the late 1st (assuming we can find a trade partner) are as follows:

1. While he has great physical tools to work with, he demonstrated at the senior bowl when faced with the top players coming out of college he wasn't quite there yet. In the game itself he made the tackles he faced look good - Terron Armstrong had no trouble with him and the one time he put a decent inside move on Johnson, Johnson flipped his hips and redirected without too much trouble.
2. At this point in his development he's probably best suited to a 4-3 LDE where he can utilise his strength and length but also create some mismatches with his quickness against RT's
3. He might also project to a 3-4 DE but I think he'll need time to adapt.
4. We don't need a 4-3 LDE
5. We have two young and talented guys who can play 3-4 DE with at least two decent backup options
6. He's 26 and by the time he develops enough for us to become a really good 3-4 DE (which we don't really need), he'll be 28-29
7. If we come out of the 1st round with nothing but a developmental backup in a position we're already pretty good in, I'll shoot myself

Nothing against him personally. Great to see more Europeans get into the NFL. But he doesn't fit what we need and by the time he'd be ready to play, he'll be ready to start planning his career after the NFL.

The only way he'd make sense for us is if we had an aging 4-3 LDE and we wanted someone talented to come in, share time for a year and then take over. And even then there are others I'd take before Hunt because of his age.

^^^^ Pretty much this entire post concerning hunt is right on the money from what i saw of him at the senior bowl. He's probably the lightest 280lbs that I've seen in quite a while and struggles with keeping his pads low out of his stance.

Josh Boyd looks more like a first round pick than Hunt does. I wouldn't be surprised to see him crack the top 40 picks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom