If he is there, do you draft McFadden? (1 Viewer)

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
If you asked me at the beggining of the season, I would have said you were crazy. The idea still might be crazy. Does Deuce come back, and considering his bonus money, without retirement it would probably cost us too much to move him. If he does decide to come back, hopefully Coach Payton does what I have been screaming for him to do ever since Deuce went down: use Pierre Thomas in Deuce's role and stick Bush out in the slot and use him they way we did his rookie year. All of that said, before Peterson tore his ligament, he took the leauge by storm. I think McFadden is comparable. Can you imagine Peterson and Bush in the same backfield? Picture McFadden and Bush together and how scary that can be-- McFadden having power like Deuce and speed like Bush, Bush in the slot and McFadden throwing it to him and all the other trickery you can have. It would give the offense the ability to get tough yards, break the long run, and a bag of tricks. It would be like having Deuce as Deuce was the year he had 1600+yds rushing with Reggie.

There is a very good chance McFadden will be there. If this team signs a difference making LB and CB, like maybe Asomugha or Trufant (CB) and Suggs or Bailey(LB) and maybe a safety like Madeiu Williams, we would still have needs on defense, but picking 10 would give us great value in round 2. We obviously need defensive help, but it is plausible that we grab a LB and CB with good name recognition in free agency. A solid DT would be nice in the ten spot, but if we gained a CB and LB, and McFadden were availabe--- alot of ifs, but for the sake of if, would you take McFadden?

We are not the Lions picking the same position first every year :D

Besides we need D

No. Also, I am not aware of this alleged power that you speak of McFadden having.

Nooooooooo.

McFadden may be a terrific NFL player, but you rarely get value picking a running back that high and we've already got too much money invested in the backfield. We won't get as good of a player as McFadden later in the draft (obviously), but we can get someone with MUCH better value. We don't need a gamebreaker, we have one (I'm counting on a bounceback year from Reggie). We just need someone reliable, and we might have that in Pierre (if Deuce comes back to form, even better). Those guys are easy to find.

We're blessed to have such a high pick with a 7-9 record. To use it on a RB given our other needs just seems like a waste, no matter how good he is.

Maybe, but not unless the first 9 picks take the best defensive players on the board, and only then it would be for trade value.

Noooo.. Not unless for some strange reason. We release Deuce and sign Faneca(sp).

But. Thats too much money in the backfield. Id hate to see that happen.

I see a lot of people saying we will take a defensive player at 10. At this point I think it would be in our best interest to take the best player on D available but don't count out that we will draft the overall best player available, which depending on how things fall, could be D mac.

I am not crazy. We have too much money in the backfield as is. The argument is assuming Deuce retires and assuming we pick up a few starters defensively in free agency. I would still desperately want either a defensive playmaker or OL with the first pick because we have various needs, but if you thought McFadden can have the same type of success as Peterson, can you just imagine having to defend that along with Reggie, Drew, and whoever is playing WR? I am not sure I would call this wishful thinking, it is more like unneccesary fantasy. If it were my fantasy, I would imaginge Peterson or LT in the backfield with Reggie. I am just toying with the idea, much like saying can you imagine if we would have drafted Randy Moss when we had the chance or taken any # of defensive superstars we passed up on. I am in no way saying I hope this happens. I just read Marlboro Man's mock draft and allowed my imagination to run wild.

He won't be. But for the sake of discussion, if Darren McFadden was there at 10, I'd try to trade the pick to the Cowboys for their two first round picks. Jerry Jones is in love with D-Mac, and I think he'd be crazy enough to do it.

problem is i have no believe that our current GM would get our defense to the point in FA where we could actually draft BPA and still not have huge defensive holes. yes, if we get 2 new DT's, 1 OLB, 1 MLB, 2 CB's, and replace Bullocks, then yes feel free to draft mcfadden.

problem is i have no believe that our current GM would get our defense to the point in FA where we could actually draft BPA and still not have huge defensive holes.

Why not? Is that not what we did last year, only the free agents we brought in did not pan out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom