If he is there, do you draft McFadden? (1 Viewer)

I am not crazy. We have too much money in the backfield as is. The argument is assuming Deuce retires and assuming we pick up a few starters defensively in free agency. I would still desperately want either a defensive playmaker or OL with the first pick because we have various needs, but if you thought McFadden can have the same type of success as Peterson, can you just imagine having to defend that along with Reggie, Drew, and whoever is playing WR? I am not sure I would call this wishful thinking, it is more like unneccesary fantasy. If it were my fantasy, I would imaginge Peterson or LT in the backfield with Reggie. I am just toying with the idea, much like saying can you imagine if we would have drafted Randy Moss when we had the chance or taken any # of defensive superstars we passed up on. I am in no way saying I hope this happens. I just read Marlboro Man's mock draft and allowed my imagination to run wild.

we now have an insurance policy in thomas. i think he can play his role while bush goes back to his year one role.

Yes I would. I realize i'm in the .000001% minority in this but I would.

Why not? Is that not what we did last year, only the free agents we brought in did not pan out.

i am saying bringing in actual players that will pan out and make an impact (unless injury). any team can bring in a player, that means nothing. we have a lot of holes on defense and signing a player means nothing if he does not help us get W's. So in reality we did not fill our defensive holes last year. Example, CB last year was a defensive hole and we signed JD, we signed a player but we still did not fill the defensive hole.

i typed that and realized it probably is not as clear as I want it to be so this makes more sense. we need 2 dt, olb, mlb, one or 2 cb, a S and maybe a pass rush de, so imo it is impossible to say we filled our defensive holes last year.

Last edited:
no, theres not..

Yes there is. When the scouts start REALLY picking him apart, they'll see that he ran behind the best offensive line in the country with other backs who averaged well over the national average. He's almost exclusively a north-south runner... no real cutback ability that you associate with elite running backs, and he runs way too upright.

He's a slightly faster version of Eddie George, and Eddie George was not worth a 1st round pick when you look at his per carry average. McFadden may be, but he's certainly not the top 10 lock everyone seems to think he is.

Rashard Mendenhall put up better numbers this season on a WAY lesser ball club behind a line that couldn't put a single starter on Arkansas' roster.

the defense is horrible.we have two picks in the top fifty, this is a very deep draft on the defensive side of the ball...it would be insane not to pick
D first. After all the playoff games are over,tell me what they all have in common? Damn good D.....we need to release anybody that "struggles" and get on with it...forget mediocrity. JMHO

Yes I would. I realize i'm in the .000001% minority in this but I would.

Thank you. I am just asking everyone to imagine how scary it would be for defenses. I love Deuce with all my heart, but if I can grab McFadden I do. Much the same way that I like Matt Flynn as a person and don't care for Ryan Perrilloux and his ego/off the field issues, but I would still start Perrilloux over Flynn versus Ohio State because Perrilloux gives us a better chance to win since he is a whole game QB and not just a "second half" QB. Also like I would have started Thomas as soon as Deuce went down and left Bush where he was. I said that when it happened, this aint hindsight. I digress though. Just imagine the possibilities on offense and how making teams play catchup will also help our defense. Look what Moss did for the Patriots. Can you imagine the pairing of McFadden and Bush acting as a catylist?

He won't be there, but of course you do!

Thank you. I am just asking everyone to imagine how scary it would be for defenses. I love Deuce with all my heart, but if I can grab McFadden I do.

Well if you take McFadden Deuce would obviously be gone. I don't think you can reasonably ask Deuce to sit on the bench while you start McFadden and Bush, nor would you want to ask him to do that anyways for 3.5 million in base salary next year.

I think we're all in agreement that the most effective way to use Bush is how we did at the end of the 2006 season, as a WR/HB hybrid type deal. I think McFadden and Bush would be a tremendous pairing.

Of course the counter-arguement is "defense". And I agree. But you'd be hard-pressed to find a defensive player who could make a comporable impact at #10. Dorsey won't be there. I don't think Ellis will even be there. So you're tempted to go McFadden and just try to make do defensively like we did in 2006.

I don't know, I suppose it wouldn't be an easy choice, i'd have to think about it, but i'd be pretty tempted.

nope. not even if we signed trufant and briggs in free agency. dmac will have a good nfl career, but so will rey manuuealgouga (hehe the MLB from USC), larinaitis, phillips, ellis, jenkins, and dorsey. basically there will be a defensive player available that will be either an equal talent, or close enough that our needs on the defensive side of that ball make them the better choice.

i am saying bringing in actual players that will pan out and make an impact (unless injury). any team can bring in a player, that means nothing. we have a lot of holes on defense and signing a player means nothing if he does not help us get W's. So in reality we did not fill our defensive holes last year. Example, CB last year was a defensive hole and we signed JD, we signed a player but we still did not fill the defensive hole.

i typed that and realized it probably is not as clear as I want it to be so this makes more sense. we need 2 dt, olb, mlb, one or 2 cb, a S and maybe a pass rush de, so imo it is impossible to say we filled our defensive holes last year.

I get what your saying and I completely agree with you. My point is that they may bring guys in that they intend to fill the "holes," thus allowing us to take the BPA, which at 10 could very well be McFadden. Remember it is this organizations philosophy to take BPA, Meachem is a perfect example of that as Myself as well as many others thought we would go D in the first last year. So don't be surprised if we go offense in the first again this year especially if Payton and company feel the BPA at that pick is an offensive player.

To the OP, if everything worked out the right way, I would take him in a heartbeat. I have watched the man in person a couple times and he is the real deal, reminds me of a slimmer but faster version of Herschel Walker.

No. People can make the argument about the potential of McFadden, but I'd prefer rolling the dice on a position of true need. Jenkins has the potential of at least equaling Mckenzie, and Phillips has the potential of being a Bob Sanders. I haven't decided on my favorite pick or even position yet, but it won't be RB. Seems the O hasn't had that much difficulty moving the ball and scoring with our current RBs.

Anyway, I'd be interested in entertaining trade offers for McFadden. I'm sure some teams would like to move up for him.

Last edited:
Yes there is. When the scouts start REALLY picking him apart, they'll see that he ran behind the best offensive line in the country with other backs who averaged well over the national average. He's almost exclusively a north-south runner... no real cutback ability that you associate with elite running backs, and he runs way too upright.

He's a slightly faster version of Eddie George, and Eddie George was not worth a 1st round pick when you look at his per carry average. McFadden may be, but he's certainly not the top 10 lock everyone seems to think he is.

Rashard Mendenhall put up better numbers this season on a WAY lesser ball club behind a line that couldn't put a single starter on Arkansas' roster.

i just dont see dmac dropping out of the top 5, much less to #10...

If he's there and they don't trade then something is definitely wrong.

I don't think McFadden fits into the offense Payton already has assembled and its time to start solidifying the saints offense instead of experimenting with personell packages for another season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom