If Hillary gets the nod could Bill be her VP candidate? (1 Viewer)

BTW, I also notice Hillary put a lot of emphasis on black people saying they were voting for her at the end of the video.

Love them or hate them you have to admire how good the Clintons are at playing the game of politics. They know exactly how to market themselves to the masses or a specific target audience.

She has her Mom's mannerisms but some of the things she says sound very hollow like talking about being proud of her and stuff. That being said I'm surprised they aren't putting Chelsea more in the forefront. She's a benefit to Hillary. She carries herself very well and connects well to young people who are one of the cores of Obama's support.

I agree about her carrying herself well. Pretty impressive for a young lady. I'm sure we'll see her in an election one day.

This is a funny video. President Clinton falls asleep during an appearnce at a church for a MLK remembrance.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N4zgXVdSG_k&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N4zgXVdSG_k&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

imagine china japan korea the middle east never listening to hillary just because she is a woman. asians loved bill because he cheated on his wife. they dont respect women. buisness meeting women arent allowed. the world is not like the USA. they still dont respect people other places. in the middle east conflict and asian economy. i think hillary will talk to a lot of deaf ears.

Chelsea has also come a long way from when the VRWC was talking about her red hair and freckles (e.g. weasely men for family values who would go after someone's daughter :nono: :nono: ). :shrug: Chelsea isn't what I would call hot, but she's not bad either. 6.5ish and maybe a 7 with the RealChrisM factor that she knows everyone. :17:

TPS

imagine china japan korea the middle east never listening to hillary just because she is a woman. asians loved bill because he cheated on his wife. they dont respect women. buisness meeting women arent allowed. the world is not like the USA. they still dont respect people other places. in the middle east conflict and asian economy. i think hillary will talk to a lot of deaf ears.

Just a quick sampling of information:

Women a Rising Force in China's Politics

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200308/15/eng20030815_122349.shtml

Japan's Women Mayors

http://www.glocom.org/special_topics/social_trends/20030506_trends_s35/index.html

Women in Japanese Politics - Part Ten: Advances of Women Politicians in 2004

http://www.glocom.org/special_topics/social_trends/20050128_trends_s98/index.html

Women in Japanese Politics:
Part Eight – Japan's First Female Lower House Speaker Bows out of Frontline Politics

http://www.glocom.org/special_topics/social_trends/20031120_trends_s61/index.html

If I shared your concern about the role gender would play in rendering Hillary Clinton ineffective as President, and I don't, I'd argue that there exists a level of respect, certainly among developed nations, for one of the most powerful offices in the world; the President of the United States.

Ex-Presidents are still referred to as Mr. President in many situations as a sign of respect for the office.

In usage, perhaps, but not officially. Officially, only the current office holder, when there is only 1, is entitled to use the the title. Officially, he should be addressed as Governor Clinton, because that is his highest previous title that fits the rules, as there are 50 office holders at any given time. And informally, he can be referred to as former president.

Unless those rules have changed since I was in school. Then all bets are off.

[edit]
A quick search only muddies the water further, with some sources agreeing with me, and some sources agreeing with you. :angryrazz:

Last edited:
Could Bill be the Vice-President? From a legal standpoint, I don't see how. The whole point of the office of Vice President is to have someone who can assume office if need be. Bill cannot.

From a practical standpoint it doesn't make sense either, for multiple reasons. Why would Bill want to be Vice-President? What benefit would it be to Hillary? She's already a Clinton, and she's already got Bill as her husband. Furthermore, it would really sour a lot of people. Finally, she would be wise to pick someone who would serve as a more conciliatory figure if she is indeed the nominee.

I doubt it would make it pass the courts anyway since he's technically not able to be President anymore.

I'm not so sure about that... the 22nd amendment was written to keep a president from running for three or more consecutive terms (like FDR) or non-consecutive terms (like Grover Cleveland):

Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress

It says nothing about being the vice-president... likewise, it isn't without precedent that a former president went onto another role in government after his term in office... William Taft was named to the Supreme Court after he served as president.

That said, I don't think Bill wants to be VP... it's a lot easier to be Hillary's attack dog w/o running for anything. He can spend his time pointing out Obama's rather unimpressive resume in government and over inflate Hillary's time in the White House when he was president.

After all, when Bill ran, he and Hillary said you were electing a team.

Edit in: I realize the distiction made for succession in the event of a presidential death/resignation/etc., but that could also be argued that there is no law preventing a former president elected Speaker of the House either... nor appointed to the cabinet -all of which falls in the line of succession.

Last edited:
It says nothing about being the vice-president... likewise, it isn't without precedent that a former president went onto another role in government after his term in office... William Taft was named to the Supreme Court after he served as president.

That said, I don't think Bill wants to be VP... it's a lot easier to be Hillary's attack dog w/o running for anything. He can spend his time pointing out Obama's rather unimpressive resume in government and over inflate Hillary's time in the White House when he was president.

I don't think it has to say anything about being the vice-president. Like I said, the whole point of having a vice-president is to have someone who can step in and become President. Even if it was legal, it would be stupid to have someone who couldn't become President serve as Vice-President. The line of succession would then go to the Speaker of the House who could very well be a Republican. I don't think any presidential nominee would want a scenario where someone of the opposition party could assume the Presidency.

And even if Bill could be Vice-President, he probably doesn't want to, Hillary probably doesn't want him to, and I doubt the American people would be comfortable with such an arrangement.

Well, it says "elected" President, so I would guess he could be elected VP, and then step into the role of President should Hillary be called back by Satan a few years early.

Well, it says "elected" President, so I would guess he could be elected VP, and then step into the role of President should Hillary be called back by Satan a few years early.

I guess you could make an argument based on the letter of the law. I doubt, however, that this particular Supreme Court would see it that way. I also doubt that the American people would vote for such an arrangement. We have a history of being particularly paranoid of people who cling to power. Most people who like Bill Clinton probably don't want him serving in an official capacity (and my guess would be that neither Bill nor Hillary would be in favor of it). It would damage a Hillary ticket rather than boost it, if it was deemed Constitutional, which I doubt it is.

Like so many of you, I cannot see myself voting for Hillary. However, most of the people posting on this thread are male. If she is going to carry female voters by a double digit margin, she can win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom