If Hornets finish first, Scott deserves top coach honors (1 Viewer)

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Since the Chris Paul-should-get-MVP-if-the-Hornets-win-the-Western-Conference argument seems to be gaining momentum, the same logic should apply to Byron Scott for Coach of the Year.

Coach of the Year often is a way to cover up bad predictions. When a team surpasses all expectations and does better than anyone expected, instead of saying we were wrong, we can just hand a guy a trophy and say, "What a great job he did."

No one had the Hornets atop the loaded Western Conference. They weren't supposed to be there at any point in the season, let alone this late.

.....But as much as Paul runs things on offense, he doesn't set the tone on defense. Not the way Kevin Garnett does in Boston. And it's the Hornets' defense that makes them legitimate. They have stretches where they lock things down and tell their opponents "uh-uh, not happening."

The Hornets are fifth in the league in points allowed per game (95.4). When teams play defense, it's the best sign that they're buying into the coaching staff. There's nothing fun about defense. And watching those behind-the-scenes training camp shows on NBA TV, it doesn't look too fun to play for Scott, who seems to always make them run extra laps or suicides. But players will go along with the program if they think it will get them somewhere, and they obviously have confidence in Scott's direction.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Scott-080404

I agree. If Coach Scott doesn't get coach of the year, then something is seriously wrong. Plus, he is so very, very handsome. :mwink:

I think that if the Blazers would have stayed in the playoff race a little later into the season, their coach would have gotten it, but it is definately between Scott and Rivers and I think many voters are going to chose Scott.

Sometimes Coach B.S. has me scratching my head with a few of his calls and strategies, but hey thats why he is coach of the west conf leading team and I'm watching on TV. I feel no matter how we finish, he should get COTY.

Since the Chris Paul-should-get-MVP-if-the-Hornets-win-the-Western-Conference argument seems to be gaining momentum, the same logic should apply to Byron Scott for Coach of the Year.

Coach of the Year often is a way to cover up bad predictions. When a team surpasses all expectations and does better than anyone expected, instead of saying we were wrong, we can just hand a guy a trophy and say, "What a great job he did."

No one had the Hornets atop the loaded Western Conference. They weren't supposed to be there at any point in the season, let alone this late.

.....But as much as Paul runs things on offense, he doesn't set the tone on defense. Not the way Kevin Garnett does in Boston. And it's the Hornets' defense that makes them legitimate. They have stretches where they lock things down and tell their opponents "uh-uh, not happening."

The Hornets are fifth in the league in points allowed per game (95.4). When teams play defense, it's the best sign that they're buying into the coaching staff. There's nothing fun about defense. And watching those behind-the-scenes training camp shows on NBA TV, it doesn't look too fun to play for Scott, who seems to always make them run extra laps or suicides. But players will go along with the program if they think it will get them somewhere, and they obviously have confidence in Scott's direction.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Scott-080404

:00000654:

Link: Black and Gold:// New Orleans Saints / News / Forums / Blogs / Magazine - The “Buzz In The Air” For 2008 NBA Coach Of The Year

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom