If I’m game planning against the Saints (1 Viewer)

Losing MT13 is much more significant than we want to admit. Yes we are putting up points, but just adding him to the fold forces defenses to account for another elite player. Week 1 we moved the ball up and down the field with ease.

Detroit’s offense is about to roll out the first ever 5 TE formation.

Do all 5 TEs automatically become wide open all game, or will the distribution of Saints defenders on the field force one of the TEs to be within 5 yards of a defender, thus causing time and space to fold in on itself breaking the very fabric of reality?

Game planning the Saints is incredibly easy these days.

Against the Saints Offense - 11 in the box. You can single cover deep routes with a Safety. Don’t worry Brees will hesitate on deep throws (he no longer trusts his arm) allowing your pass rush and coverage to get there. Go for the sure tackle because Saints receivers are no threat for YAC. In the first quarter concentrate on stopping the running game. This will pay off quickly because Sean Payton will completely abandon the running game unless it’s breaking off big chunks in the first quarter. Also don’t panic if Kamara or Murray get ”hot” Payton will self sabotage and pull that RB for long periods.

Against the Saints Defense - two words - Dennis Allen. Stick with your playbook. This isn’t the Saints of 5 years ago, they aren’t a quick scoring team anymore. Stick with your running game it’ll help set up big play action passes later on. Dial up a few deep throws. This will either result in a huge catch or pass interference. Also the Saints D is extremely mentally fragile - after they give up a couple of big plays they will collectively quit. At that point you’ll have the lead and besides a bunch of garbage time yards and trash time TDs you’ll have a relatively easy win.

Oh and without the fans the Superdome is just another field. The Refs will actively help you out against the Saints (even when they‘re the “home team”) so tell your QB and WRs to do the “throw the flag” arm wave after every incomplete pass - it will result in calls. Holding is only called against the Saints so have your O and D do it
That's about everything I wanted to say. You never have to defend the entire field, because Drew and Sean refuse to stretch it and take even token deep shots that are thrown out of bounds just to pretend they were trying to go deep. Always use the QB waggle/bootleg and throw to the TE/RB running opposite of the flow who will be wide open because the entire Saints defense is not disciplined and will abandon their containment area every time you need a first down or red zone score.

ALWAYS wide open. Why????
I'm sick of it as well. It has to be the play calling. It's just like when we had Rob Ryan. Everytime the opposing team was in the red zone they would line 2 receivers on the right and when they hiked the ball the receivers would cross, rubbing our corner back off and leaving the receiver wide open. It took the defense like 2 years to stop that play

I’m stacking the line and daring the Saints to go over the top to beat me. I’m shock no one try it yet. So far, Raiders and Packers had played Deep not to get beat. If I’m the lions, I’m not playing for the deep ball.

Well, the counter-argument is both the Raiders and Packers beat us by playing deep. It's fun for us fans to get into the arm strength at home game planning, but defensive coordinators know better. Brees would obliterate a team dumb enough to consistently stack the line.

If I am an Offensive Coordinator game planning against the Saints, I am going to find a way to get my offense to 3rd and 10 or longer. After that, just watch the first downs and touchdowns roll in!

Well, the counter-argument is both the Raiders and Packers beat us by playing deep. It's fun for us fans to get into the arm strength at home game planning, but defensive coordinators know better. Brees would obliterate a team dumb enough to consistently stack the line.

At this point it’s no use to try and rationalize with folks who have convinced themselves that Drew can’t throw 15 yards. I don’t think anyone on this board believes his arm is still as live as it was in 2011 and so on. But this ridiculous need to parrot what the national media, who barely watches us until we’re on prime time, is telling us about our QB1 is ridiculous. The line is not being crowded. D coordinators still are hesitant to get cute on coverage and CONSISTENTLY dare DB9 to beat them deep. But folks would rather pile on instead of use reasoning.

Last night Lamar Jackson only threw for around 94 yards. His longest pass was around 19 yards. Do most people here believe he can only throw for five yards or was it a case of a QB not trusting his receivers and taking whatever the defense gave him?

I completely agree with your assessment. Hopefully, the offense gets into more of a rhythm and these threads can disappear.

Throw it to the wide open TE thats GAME.

At this point it’s no use to try and rationalize with folks who have convinced themselves that Drew can’t throw 15 yards. I don’t think anyone on this board believes his arm is still as live as it was in 2011 and so on. But this ridiculous need to parrot what the national media, who barely watches us until we’re on prime time, is telling us about our QB1 is ridiculous. The line is not being crowded. D coordinators still are hesitant to get cute on coverage and CONSISTENTLY dare DB9 to beat them deep. But folks would rather pile on instead of use reasoning.

Last night Lamar Jackson only threw for around 94 yards. His longest pass was around 19 yards. Do most people here believe he can only throw for five yards or was it a case of a QB not trusting his receivers and taking whatever the defense gave him?

I completely agree with your assessment. Hopefully, the offense gets into more of a rhythm and these threads can disappear.

It's a shame that people complain about a quarterback who works his tail off to keep us competitive. I have watched Bree's now for 15 years and never missed a game. Here's the newsflash that may shock some people. He NEVER had a strong arm. He couldn't sling it at Purdue, San Diego, or New Orleans. What he could do was toss a nice catchable deep ball when given time. And he still can when given time. Brees still has an NFL arm, and he can move the ball down the field very quickly when he has too. How he has sustained himself so long with limited arm strength is a physical marvel. Jeez, the man is 41 years old, and he's doing what he can to win games. He can still make the throws he needs to make, and he still provides us with the best chance to win. Can't these critics wait for 13 more games? They want a replacement? They'll get one soon enough. In the meantime, relax.

Figured this would be about the defense. What I would do is throw a 50 yard bomb every time I got the ball, knowing there’s a 70% chance that either the refs will call a PI on the Saints or the corner will be beat.

Detroit’s offense is about to roll out the first ever 5 TE formation.

Do all 5 TEs automatically become wide open all game, or will the distribution of Saints defenders on the field force one of the TEs to be within 5 yards of a defender, thus causing time and space to fold in on itself breaking the very fabric of reality?

this.

I can’t imagine teams need to game plan much against our offense. No matter how potent it is, it can’t keep up with a defense that’s only forced 1 punt in the last 17 possessions.

I imagine the Lions are about to push out an offense heavy with screen passes, QB roll outs, Tight End drag plays and about half a dozen deep balls that will no doubt result in 3-5 PI calls.

How Detroit defends us is irrelevant. How they attack us is what concerns me.

If I'm game planning against the Saints I'd do exactly what green bay did and play back and prevent the big play. Make the Saints dink and dunk and work for every yard because the Saints defense can't stop traffic

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom