If I’m game planning against the Saints (1 Viewer)

Gentilly504

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I’m stacking the line and daring the Saints to go over the top to beat me. I’m shock no one try it yet. So far, Raiders and Packers had played Deep not to get beat. If I’m the lions, I’m not playing for the deep ball.

• 1Like
Reactions: VDK
And we’ll still beat you it’s doesn’t take a rocket scientist we put up 30,34,34 we can score even without the deep ball. Teams are able to double Cook they couldn’t do that before with Mike it’s allowing and opening up the underneath passes we see Kamara YPC jump. The lions or any other team understand the saints are still deadly just not as lethal on O

I’m stacking the line and daring the Saints to go over the top to beat me. I’m shock no one try it yet. So far, Raiders and Packers had played Deep not to get beat. If I’m the lions, I’m not playing for the deep ball.

Gosh, I haven't seen many people discussing the Saints and long passes in the last couple of weeks.

Other teams have more respect for our players than you do apparently. Stack the line and then Kamara makes a guy miss for a house call or Murray bursts pass into the secondary and trucks a safety and that's a TD. Sanders catches a slant 3 yard slant that goes the distance because he just has one guy to beat. We call a deep shot and get single coverage and Drew lets it fly to shut the doubters up.

The other guys get paid to play too. We've been subpar, certainly below expectations, but realistically we've lost exactly 1 game we shouldn't have on paper. Even then some here had that MNF game against the raiders in their inauguration at the new stadium as a loss for optics. The packers were always gonna be tough, with fans that's a different game. Without fans we went toe to toe despite all the defensive woes and the turning point was ultimately a fumble by one of our more reliable offensive players. It happens, if it gets corrected we'll be fine, if it doesn't we'll be drafting our QB of the future.

And if game planning on offense, I would go play action and throw it deep every time. The receivers will either have our secondary beat or the Saints will get a def pass interference flag. Very simple

You think like a fan. Coaches think like coaches. Even film study backs up the notion that the Packers were determined to keep the Saints underneath. Brees and Payton said as much too. You dare us to go deep, and I think we still can and would.

The zeitgeist that Brees' arm is pathetic and wimp like a shriveled up, Benjamin Button baby arm is too far. He's weaker. He's also less confident in his ability to fit into a tight window through double coverage like 9 years ago. But if someone is open, he's gonna let it fly.

Game planning the Saints is incredibly easy these days.

Against the Saints Offense - 11 in the box. You can single cover deep routes with a Safety. Don’t worry Brees will hesitate on deep throws (he no longer trusts his arm) allowing your pass rush and coverage to get there. Go for the sure tackle because Saints receivers are no threat for YAC. In the first quarter concentrate on stopping the running game. This will pay off quickly because Sean Payton will completely abandon the running game unless it’s breaking off big chunks in the first quarter. Also don’t panic if Kamara or Murray get ”hot” Payton will self sabotage and pull that RB for long periods.

Against the Saints Defense - two words - Dennis Allen. Stick with your playbook. This isn’t the Saints of 5 years ago, they aren’t a quick scoring team anymore. Stick with your running game it’ll help set up big play action passes later on. Dial up a few deep throws. This will either result in a huge catch or pass interference. Also the Saints D is extremely mentally fragile - after they give up a couple of big plays they will collectively quit. At that point you’ll have the lead and besides a bunch of garbage time yards and trash time TDs you’ll have a relatively easy win.

Oh and without the fans the Superdome is just another field. The Refs will actively help you out against the Saints (even when they‘re the “home team”) so tell your QB and WRs to do the “throw the flag” arm wave after every incomplete pass - it will result in calls. Holding is only called against the Saints so have your O and D do it

Last edited:
So your gameplan would be to the opposite of the 2 teams who have beat us?

But if someone is open, he's gonna let it fly.

Tell that to Harris and Sanders, they were both open all night. Specifically that Harris go route where he was pretty much all alone about five yards out from the end zone. Even then, he was double clutching all night long. It's not that he was double clutching all night so much that's concerning, it's the fact that he was doing it against a secondary that, while good, is no Legion of Boom. They can be passed on. Same thing was happening against the Raiders.

At this point, it's more 'if someone is open within ten yards, he's gonna let it fly. Kamara had a monster game as a direct result of that on Sunday night.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom