If I had to use a picture to show how I think each EE Board regular looks... (1 Viewer)

Reminds me of a time I drove thru Louisiana to move my daughter into College. People were so friendly but I could not for the life of me understand most of em. (I call the dialect there fredneck) as French and Redneck....(not saying in a bad way)....anyhow I finally just had to say “Who Dat!!” emphatically every time I’d stop for gas....they’d smile and respond with the only thing I could understand. ?? Good times!

We speak in code up there.

It does feel narcissistic. Lol. (Speaking of mysef when I did it)
Either way it’s cool to put a face to the person.
My father was a drummer all of his life, played in Vegas, got nominated for Country Music Duet of the year....got me on the gong show in Vegas hahah. Fun times. However if I have to hear about the greatest drummer to ever live one more time I may puke. Man he loved and idolized that’s guy....and now with these stupid lesions I can’t remember off hand...lemme asked Dad...and I’ll edit. Awesome post man!

He answered my text immediately.
Dave Weckle. Do you agree?

That's awesome. Dave Weckl (no "e" at the end) is a tremendous talent. He is sometimes considered a bit too stiff, robotic, metronomic, but he is an amazing player and a very cool dude. When I was still in NOLA, Ray Fransen's Drum Center (in Kennah) sponsored a clinic with Dave. It was at, what was, I believe, a Rodeway Inn at the time. I think it is a Sheraton now, on Vets just a bit east of Williams Blvd. Used one of their ballrooms/conference rooms.

He put on a great clinic and was very receptive to all of us and our questions. As luck would have it, I happened to win a pair of his signature sticks in a raffle. Used them a bit (thus the logos are long worn off) and still have them, but got tired of them leaving red marks all over my drum heads. This was roughly 30 years ago, but I still have the sticks.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.47.48 PM.png

Last edited:
That's awesome. Dave Weckl (no "e" at the end) is a tremendous talent. He is sometimes considered a bit too stiff, robotic, metronomic, but he is an amazing player and a very cool dude. When I was still in NOLA, Ray Fransen's Drum Center (in Kennah) sponsored a clinic with Dave. It was at, what was, I believe, a Rodeway Inn at the time. I think it is a Sheraton now, on Vets just a bit east of Williams Blvd. Used one of their ballrooms/conference rooms.

He put on a great clinic and was very receptive to all of us and our questions. As luck would have it, I happened to win a pair of his signature sticks in a raffle. Used them a bit (thus the logos are long worn off) and still have them, but got tired of them leaving red marks all over my drum heads. This was roughly 30 years ago, but I still have the sticks.

View attachment 127661
That is bad arse!!!! Awesome man! I’m gonna text him this right now...the man has lived and breathed drums all of his life. If I ever wanted to rile him up all I had to do was tell him the Rush drummer was the best ever. Or any in a band. He has always maintained in his belief that the major band players are not at the top of any list.
for instance he believes as far as talent goes, it’s jazz guys, blues, his most respected band is Steely Dan (I love em too). He says the best of the best are stand alone and or session players)
Victor Wooten on bass, Weckl drums, I can’t remember who he believes to be the best lead guitar but it’s not a band guy. His highest billboard hit was recorded in Nashville by session guys. Anyhow I’m happy for him, he built a beautiful studio on his ranch and loves all things music and now that he’s retired he does music only. He tried to teach me but I was rebelling as a kid and went the athlete route lol.

View attachment 127661

He agreed. Said Dave is def a rudimental drummer. He said he thinks Simon Phillips (sp) is right up there too. And Dennis Chambers.

He agreed. Said Dave is def a rudimental drummer. He said he thinks Simon Phillips (sp) is right up there too. And Dennis Chambers.

Simon Phillips (and Dennis Chambers) is another incredible talent. Never got to meet him, but have been told that he is a very sincere and down to earth guy. As a whacky side-note, I met Will Kennedy (mostly known for his work with the Yellowjackets) at a urinal in a restroom in Katy, Texas. Apparently, he lives out that way. Didn't shake hands (for obvious reasons) but enjoyed conversing with him.

Other clinics that I was fortunate enough to attend while in NOLA: Billy Cobham, Anton Fig and Guy Gelso. I was never much of a Zebra fan, but Gelso was also very cool and incredibly informative.

So many influences in my sophomoric drumming "career", obviously Peart, Gadd, Keltner, Kunkel, Copeland, Moore (Stanton). Sure, Rich and Krupa are up there, but they were a tad before my time.

Last concert I went to was Steely Dan, at UNO Lakefront Arena; not long before Walter Becker "moved on". Keith Carlock (from N Mississippi, either Greenville or Greenwood) killed it on the drums. Saw him a couple of years earlier when Sting played at the Saenger, and he killed it as well. Amazing talent.

I've rambled enough and likely derailed this thread beyond salvage, so I'll just shut it down for the night.

Your dad sounds like a pretty cool dude, who happens to have a pretty cool son. Enjoy him while you can.

View attachment 127661

dude - btl

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom