If I was in charge of the holidays (1 Viewer)

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here's what I would do:

1. Eliminate Thanksgiving. It pretty much sucks as a whole. The only redeeming quality is fotoball, but the games are usually terrible. Woo hoo. Let's spend hours in traffic to go eat bland food (turkey is the worst) and watch football with uncle Joe who thinks that Troy Aikman still quarterbacks the Cowboys. Besides, I don't even like turkey OR pumpkin pie.

2. Take those two days and add more Memorial/Labor day type days throughout the Summer. Nothing rules as much as drinking beer, BBQing, and being at the lake/river/pool/some body of water on a Monday.

3. One of the above days should be the day AFTER July 4th. We're expected to do the aforementioned drinking/grilling all day, then shoot or watch fireworks late at night, and then get up early the next day for work? Lame. Give the next day off for another day of relaxation and hanging with friends. If the 4th falls on a Friday, give the Thursday off. It's a 4 day weekend, just like Thanksgiving, but awesome instead of lame.

4. Make New Year's Eve, Good Friday, and Christmas Eve normal work days. Almost everybody in America works 9-5. All of these are night holidays. Getting home at 5pm is plenty of time to still celebrate that day. Then, you take those three days, and give the following days off: Day after St. Patrick's day. Day after Mardi Gras. Day after Halloween. Plus you already have New Year's Day off. So now you have the day off AFTER the four best party holidays of the year. Again, you can celebrate all of those nights by getting off at 5. That's not the problem. It's getting up at 6am after drinking 25 green pints of Guinness on St. Patrick's day.

Time to modernize. Vote LC.

Last edited:
What no VY day??

by this drunk-and-sunburned-rulz reasoning, you'd need to realign Thanksgiving and Columbus Day to shore up more Tuesdays after your existing Monday holidays. Not more Monday holidays.

1.) Yeah. Your family has sucky cooks. My family is fat and makes great Thanksgiving food. Don't blame Thanksgiving. Blame yourself.

2.) Agree, but take the days from Good Friday and President's Day.

3.) Agree, aside from the misguided Thanksgiving bashing.

4.) No. And I do have the day after Mardi Gras off. :hihi: Halloween? lmao

Yeah. You kep your grubby workaholic fingers off my holidays. and furthermore, I vote for a four day work week.

Thanksgiving is by far the greatest holiday on earth.
women cook you up a ton of great food while the men get drunk and watch football. and there is no shopping for gifts or other crap. its the most perfect holiday know in human history.

by this drunk-and-sunburned-rulz reasoning, you'd need to realign Thanksgiving and Columbus Day to shore up more Tuesdays after your existing Monday holidays. Not more Monday holidays.

The single Monday holidays are Memorial/Labor Day clones. Those days are for getting up at 10 and hitting the water, then being home by 8-9. You wouldn't need the day off after.

As for the Thanksgiving apologists, I'd rather get drunk and eat at the lake or pool than get drunk indoors when it's 50 degrees out. But then again, I am awesome.

And Jacob, Halloween = $$$$. It's a top two party night. I'd rank them:

1. New Year's
2. Halloween
3. St. Patrick's
4. Mardi Gras

If I lived in New Orleans, Mardi Gras would be higher.

Last edited:
I think this only applies to persons 25 and younger.

Not really. I see plenty of 25+ people at the lake. I'm 25 and don't see myself preferring getting fat on the couch to being active in the sun, drinking Tecate, and eating Texas style BBQ, the kind you'd love...

And the trump card:

There are no girls in bikinis on Thanksgiving.

Owned.

No. Halloween is stupid. Just because you and your friends dress up and still try to get in to the UT fraternity costume parties doesn't make it great at all.

And who wants to go to a lake or pool when it's 50 degrees outside? Eating a big meal, laying on the couch and drinking, followed by a drunken game of tackle football - $$$

No. Halloween is stupid. Just because you and your friends dress up and still try to get in to the UT fraternity costume parties doesn't make it great at all.

And who wants to go to a lake or pool when it's 50 degrees outside? Eating a big meal, laying on the couch and drinking, followed by a drunken game of tackle football - $$$

Please. I don't know about you but we 25 year olds still have parties independent of frat parties. :hihi:. Plus, our liquor and beer is better (aka not Keystone Light) and the women still like to dress sexy.

Nobody wants to go to a lake or pool when it's 50 degrees. That's the point. Take that crappy weather holiday away and give two holidays in Summer, when you can enjoy it more.

Yeah, I misread that post. I don't go to fraternity parties at all. Only sorrority ones. :covri:

Thanksgiving is by far the greatest holiday on earth.
women cook you up a ton of great food while the men get drunk and watch football. and there is no shopping for gifts or other crap. its the most perfect holiday know in human history.

:plus-un2:

LC, I am sure that your employer gives you a certain amount of days off every year. I would suggest that you coordinate your "drunk days" with your paid vacation accordingly.

Signed...

The Man.

Yes there's nothing quite as enjoyable as being outside in July in south Alabama. No thanks.

That's why they invented lakes and beer.

Sandman: actually, I do. I always take the day after the 4th off. Halloween usually gets celebrated on the following weekend, so that's cool. And St. Patty's was on the weekend last year and is again this year, which is $$$$./

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom