If I were to get a linux based cpu... (1 Viewer)

SaintsBrazil

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
...brand new with the latest and greatest version of linux installed, how long would it take for me to feel at home on the machine. I am a life-long windows user (since 1993), I am considered above average in my computer knowledge and am comfortable taking chances.

it took me about a day and half, but that was only because i installed it on an older machine and had to tweak some things to make it work right, but its all i use now

You can install it yourself. They different distributions, I currently use Ubuntu with gnome, but there is KDE interface if you want that one I suggest Mepis it's a little more familiar for windows users. But there are many choices.

Start with a LiveCD. Leave Windows installed and get a 'feel' for stuff using the LiveCD version first. It will be less intimidating that way.

Oops, I posted a reply to this, or so I thought, a couple of days ago, but I'll do it again. I tried a live CD on my Toshiba notebook but it wouldn't boot up.

What was it a live cd of? Did you get the 32-bit (i386) or 64-bit (amd64)?

And running or installing on a laptop require the user to research. There are often some parameters you can add at startup of the LiveCD that will allow it to boot. For example, if you were to ask that question at INSERT_FORUM_NAME of the distro you tried, the first thing they'd want to know is what type of laptop do you have (the specs, not just the Brand/Model) and what type of LiveCD you tried.

So, whatcha got? I bet it works.

I am a life-long windows user (since 1993), I am considered above average in my computer knowledge and am comfortable taking chances.
You sound like a prime candidate! You won't have a problem.

Just don't make it harder than it is, if that made sense. Most go into it thinking it will be like performing brain surgery, it's not.
Linux is actually very simple and easy for even the slightest of computer literate ones. Ubuntu, and others, have made the process even easier for the new users, as well.

I tried a live CD on my Toshiba notebook but it wouldn't boot up.
Toshiba does have some issues w/non-Windows OSes, BUT they are getting better.
Make sure your bios is up to date. That may very well fix your problem.
If bios update doesn't work, it's probably an APIC and/or VGA setting problem, both of which can be 'tweaked' on the boot command line.

And running or installing on a laptop require the user to research. There are often some parameters you can add at startup of the LiveCD that will allow it to boot. For example, if you were to ask that question at INSERT_FORUM_NAME of the distro you tried, the first thing they'd want to know is what type of laptop do you have (the specs, not just the Brand/Model) and what type of LiveCD you tried.

So, whatcha got? I bet it works.
What he said!

You'll have very few problems... within hours you should be able to get on the internet, create documents, search for and install lots of applications.

As eaux-yeah said... don't make it more complicated than it is....

Thanks for the replies people. I appreciate the encouragement. I am gonna go for it as soon as it is feasable finacially. (I am POOR)

If you're going to go out and get a new machine, make sure that the hardware in the machine is compatible with Linux. I'd also recommend purchasing a machine from a company that sells them bundled with Windows. Linux will cost you nothing, but if you try it and it turns out that it's not for you, you can always go back to Windows.

Due to mostly political reasons, Linux is still about 5 years away from being at a place where it can be installed and used by anybody to its fullest capacity. There are still all kinds of minor issues that may require the use of a text editor and a command line. I was lucky with my latest install of Ubuntu: I have a macbook pro and there are wikis out there specifically for my type of machine.

Thanks for the replies people. I appreciate the encouragement. I am gonna go for it as soon as it is feasable finacially. (I am POOR)
I know you can get the latest Ubuntu version for free. Just go to http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and you can either download the image or request a free CD. I got my CD is about a month.
And one of these days I'm going to install it!

Thanks... I am still going to wait until I can get a cpu. Right now I am dealing with this deafness, and the possibility of a $60,000 cochlear implant surgery...

The great thing about Ubuntu is that it runs on older machines well!!!! So you don't have to have the newest hardware in fact older hardware is mostly supported you don' even have to look for drivers!

I heard about that. I think that is great too. Problem is, I've been addicted to laptops.. I use em until they're practically broken, then get a new one. One at a time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom