If I were to get a linux based cpu... (1 Viewer)

Well, It's a little more than a year since I started this thread. My hearing is back pretty much. Now. I've just about prepared to format and reinstall Windows XP. I hope to partition the drive and make a dual boot. So now a question... I've learned that linux isn't just linux, but you also need to adopt a desktop environment.

Gnome
or
KDE
or something else

Help?

Ubuntu installs GNOME by default.
Kubuntu installs KDE by default.

Either one will be intuitive enough for you to get around at first. You can also have multiple desktop-environments installed on the same Linux partition. After you get properly dual-booting, we'll show you how simple it is.

Me, I use OpenBox because I like the key-bindings, but I do find myself occasionally booting into GNOME also for the eye candy.

Search is your friend.

Saved me the hassle of asking...Ubuntu or Kubuntu? I just loaded Ubuntu over the weekend on my laptop...still dual-booting with XP until I feel comfortable enough to fully convert.

Anyone manage to compltely leave Windows for Linux for a desktop/laptop OS?

I left about nine years ago. I'm at the point now where Windows feels alien to me. I am dual-booting Windows 7 Beta just to see what it has. I spend 99% of my time in Linux though. I've converted my kids' computers to Ubuntu also.

I finally downloaded a live CD of puppy Linux and with the live CD, partitioned the HD and installed. I love it. The only problem I have is that one key doesn't work. I remapped it on Windows, but don't know how to do that in linux yet. (Still using the same old notebook, but it feels like a new one now.)

Both KDE & GNOME have keymapping applets, and there's another way to do it also. Does Puppy use KDE/GNOME/XFCE?

If you would, please open a Terminal (xterm or whatever equivalent you have) and type:

Code:
xev

Press the faulty key, then cut/paste any of the output back here.

You can use Xmodmap to change the key. You may be able to look up the keymap for you laptop by googling for it (by using "linux keymap BRAND/MODEL" as criteria.

If you just download the ISO file and burn it you will end up with the same thing that they ship out. Also, the nature of Debian-based distributions like Ubuntu is that they offer regular updates to EACH INDIVIDUAL PIECE OF SOFTWARE installed using the package management system. Other distros also offer that functionality.

Many laptops need to be installed with additional 'startup' parameters (for example adding kernel options at boot) to get them to run. If it is the same laptop you tried to install on before, chances are the kernel developers may have fixed Linux so that it will install.

Here's a page that shows what Ubuntu recommends for burning the ISO while using Windows:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switching/installing-burning.html

Good luck!

EDIT: After I installed it, I had to play around with the eye candy. So I went to this website (http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Compiz-Fusion-on-Ubuntu-58113.shtml)

That article is outdated. Intrepid already comes with Compiz.

Try this article. It's Nvidia specific. If you have an ATI or Intel video card, just make sure the appropriate drivers are installed (probably are already).
http://www.howtoforge.com/enabling-compiz-fusion-on-ubuntu-8.10-nvidia

Last night, I tried to change the GRUB loader from loading Ubuntu by default, so I had to copy some file over to Vista. I then rebooted my computer, and neither Vista nor Ubuntu would boot. So I reinstalled Vista over the old one and I'm about to install Ubuntu back over it's other one. Hopefully this will work right, although I'm in unchartered territory messing around with partitions.

Just posting my experiences with Ubuntu so far.

EDIT: The reinstalls worked perfect. Now I need to get the guts up to try it again as I don't feel like reinstalling every last program again for the third time this month.
Ouch.

Windows* ALWAYS whacks grub, cause it knows what best! :9:
Seriously though, The OSes should be fine.
You shouldn't have to reinstall everything. Sounds like you just needed to reinstall grub on the boot partition.

Here is the official Ubuntu method:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

or

Not knowing your partition layout, I will assume that /dev/sda2 is you root partition in the following example.
Boot to a linux CD, then:
Code:
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
sudo grub-install –root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
Hope that helps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom