If indeed Drew does retire... (1 Viewer)

The Saints got Drew to come back, allegedly, by making gestures towards Tom Brady.
Wouldn’t surprise me if we went after Phillip Rivers or Matt Ryan.
Rivers and Ryan would both be too expansive cap wise.

All good, but who, and how do you propose we pay them?

Let's not pretend like we can't move money around and/or trade someone if there was a player out there that Payton felt was a better successor to Drew Brees than what we currently have on the roster. I just don't see Taysom as that guy because I feel like he is worth more in his gadget role than as a delicate "slide feet first QB". Feel free to bump this post in the future if I'm wrong, though.

I think it would be Taysom. I would want to get Stafford. If it is Taysom hopefully Jameis sticks around to compete or we get another reclamation project (maybe Trubisky).

We're gonna go after someone else but if it doesn't happen then it's Taysom.

A decent veteran QB who wants weapons around him on offense, a solid D, will take a lower salary to try and win a Super Bowl.
That sounds a lot !ike Matthew Stafford, IMHO. At least as regards to giving him a good Online, solid weapons on offense, and a strong defense. All of which he never really had in abundance at the same time in Detroit for the 12 seasons he played there and yet he took them to 3 playoff appearances and 4 winning seasons, overall.

Winston will win the job but I think we are drafting a prospect as that is a key position that drives this team and I think Mac Jones may be the best of the rest at the position when we draft.

......but Payton has surprised us before on draft day.

My want: Stafford

My guts: Wentz/Taysom

My hope: Zach Wilson

My heart: Brees

My lambo: Watson

Winston will win the job but I think we are drafting a prospect as that is a key position that drives this team and I think Mac Jones may be the best of the rest at the position when we draft.

......but Payton has surprised us before on draft day.
But how can we so sure Jones will even be available by the time we're on the board and even if we can trade our way up a few spots maybe (and the difficulty in pre-draft or draft day trades to move up 2-3, or even 4 spots is immense in of itself). His draft stock and maybe even media hype over-estimating his potential value over the next several months due to him being one of Alabama's major contributors to its CFP NC winning season and that's to be expected but it may overshadow, or fog up any potential or alarming flaws in his skill set at the Combine or a private media workout. And honestly, in terms of truly evaluating top-tier incoming College talent skills, physical and mental abilities, talents aren't really so visible to even the most astute, saavy scouts or pro talent evaluators on NFL teams. Louis Riddick would be the first to say this as he served as Eagles director of player personnel or in the Eagles FO for nearly a decade. He brings a FO, administrative mindset to his plays calling. Bucky Brooks, Mel Kiper Jr., would almost unanimously agree with this same view because any one with a great trainer can work himself up to look outstanding or a potential future breakout star. You have to dig deeper, talk to his college HC, his position coaches, fellow college teammates and really push them to tell you the full, unvarnished truth, even under conditions of anonymity if their initially reluctance.

That was one of our biggest mistakes in not digging deeper and asking tougher questions about Jonathan Sullivan's behavior and lack of motivation while still in college at Georgia. Our draft scouts really didn't do enough research into asking Richt or his fellow Georgia defensive teammates about his lackadaisical, seeming disinterest and lack of discipline. And that led to him being one of our franchise's biggest draft busts ever.

Taysom hill is not the answer With the defense and run game they can get 9-10 wins but he will never get this team a ring.

I have gut feeling it will be sam darnold

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom