Saints if it feels like we get zero help from officiating here's a stat that proves it (1 Viewer)

BeerBaron

Who Dat
Reaction score

Unsurprisingly stats show that we get zero help from the refs. We're dead last by far in automatic first downs from penalties against opposing teams.

Saints against the world. Currently 7-2 against the world

I wish they showed first downs -- both allowed and gained -- by penalty yardage, which is a different stat that would also be interesting to see.

I am not going to lie...Every time we make a stop on defense, I am always waiting for a flag. That feeling is always there. Interception...Flag. 3rd down stop...Flag. 4th down stop....flag. I want anyone to tell me what was that flag against Gardner for illegal use of hands. That was a 3rd down play and we stopped until that flag came in. Don't a defender have 5 yards of free contact?

Interesting.

Also interesting is that the Rams are toward the bottom, and Dallas is in the middle, which flies in the face of all those that claim that those two markets get a ton of officiating help, at least in the first-downs-by-penalty category.
\

here ya go.

We are DEAD LAST in opponents penalized with 50 total called against. In our division the next closest is Tampa w 64 - thats 14 more than we have. Carolina has 74. 24 more than us.

Then you have this nugget.

look at week 5-8. ...then 9.

that is called a statistical anomoly and bears paying attention too.

I can absolutely see Green Bay at the top--every game I watch with them, they get a first down after being stopped in critical situations

Yes! Their game against the Chargers was unbelievable. They lost that game but got so many sketchy calls for first downs in a lot of critical situations.

I wish they showed first downs -- both allowed and gained -- by penalty yardage, which is a different stat that would also be interesting to see.
Found the stats elsewhere -- numbers seem to check out because it shows Atlanta getting 6 first down by penalty on offense Sunday, which is accurate.

First Downs by Penalty - Offense
First Downs Allowed by Penalty - Defense

The 2019 Saints gain the second-fewest first downs by penalty (automatics and yardage combined) in the league at 1.1 per game. On defense, the Saints are 18th in the league allowing 2.1 per game (even after the Falcons' six this past Sunday).

You can change the date on these penalty charts to see what these stats looked like in the past. Before the Falcons game on Nov 10, 2019, the Saints defense was 27th in the league allowing first downs by penalty at 1.6/game.

I can absolutely see Green Bay at the top--every game I watch with them, they get a first down after being stopped in critical situations
So far this season, Green Bay and San Francisco are also 30th and 32nd in first downs by penalty (automatics and yardage combined) allowed to opponents.

Not surprising at all. And it's not just this season either.

It was incredibly telling how Atlanta, one of the most undisciplined secondaries in the league in terms of penalties, suddenly cleaned up their act when they played us.

Last edited:
I am not going to lie...Every time we make a stop on defense, I am always waiting for a flag. That feeling is always there. Interception...Flag. 3rd down stop...Flag. 4th down stop....flag. I want anyone to tell me what was that flag against Gardner for illegal use of hands. That was a 3rd down play and we stopped until that flag came in. Don't a defender have 5 yards of free contact?

Don't forget.... touchdown scored... flag. kickoff return.... flag. Hell I'm surprised we haven't had a flag thrown on us during the national anthem.

Related image

That was a hands to the face call. Did he do it? Yes. But he instantly let it go. Should've been a no call but the refs can get away with calling it because he did do it.

2019 NFL Rule-book Addendum 509.3A states the following:

NFL Pass Interference: When any act by a player more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders an eligible player's opportunity to catch the ball.

Saints Pass Interference: When any act by a player more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage is within a 3 yard radius of the opposing receiver.

Signed: :littleclown:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom