Saints if it feels like we get zero help from officiating here's a stat that proves it (1 Viewer)

Unsurprisingly stats show that we get zero help from the refs. We're dead last by far in automatic first downs from penalties against opposing teams.

Saints against the world. Currently 7-2 against the world

Most of our automatic first down penalties that benefited us happens on 1st down. Some help, but not really.

If you click on penalties against, at first we are in the middle of the pack. But looking at those which occurred on 3rd and 4th down, we are tied for 3rd most!

I think we all could have probably guessed this, since it seems like all of these automatic first down penalties happen against the Saints after we make a great stop.

Interesting nugget is that we are tied for 3rd most 1st downs given to the opposing offense on 3rd down and less than 6.

Most of our automatic first down penalties that benefited us happens on 1st down. Some help, but not really.

If you click on penalties against, at first we are in the middle of the pack. But looking at those which occurred on 3rd and 4th down, we are tied for 3rd most!

I think we all could have probably guessed this, since it seems like all of these automatic first down penalties happen against the Saints after we make a great stop.
Jinx.

And what's even more important on things like that is sorta like "Hidden Yardage" but in this case it would be "Hidden Momentum" or something. You can't statistically analyze what those calls mean with regards to timing, flow of the game, and momentum gained/lost as a result. I think that is the real back breaker with these.

Send it to Florio

There is certainly officiating bias on some level, conscious or unconscious.

Saints over the last decade and particularly last 3-4 years were a powerful team. It could likewise be the bias toward calling the game to keep it close, which generally would have gone against the Saints, then layer on the general anti-Saints bias...

Jinx.

And what's even more important on things like that is sorta like "Hidden Yardage" but in this case it would be "Hidden Momentum" or something. You can't statistically analyze what those calls mean with regards to timing, flow of the game, and momentum gained/lost as a result. I think that is the real back breaker with these.

Fully agree.

Don't forget.... touchdown scored... flag. kickoff return.... flag. Hell I'm surprised we haven't had a flag thrown on us during the national anthem.
We have been. They just choose to enforce it the next time we have a long kick return.

We rarely get the thir

We get a few declined third down penalties, don't bother types.the ones that are keep the ball or punt ones aka the third down keep the drive alive ones,they are rare indeed.

Officiating in the NFL and even the NCAA has just become ridiculous. They've over run the entire sport with the subjective type calls. It gets even worse when they add this "point of emphasis" statement. One would think that their entire job is a point of emphasis but I digress. When you hear that, expect an abundance of hyper-officiating up until it costs someone a game. Then they go back all the way to the opposite end and never call anything. You know, like what we saw in the NFCCG. I do not think there is any answer for it unfortunately as long as that mindset exists. Lack of consistency and incompetence and an unwillingness to admit there's a problem will always be there up until we stop watching the game. And I don;t see that happening either as we like football too much. And they know this, hence why it is never really fixed. Only tinkered with.

Last edited:
NFL officiating is incredibly inconsistent and certain teams do get special treatment, even if it's a subconsious allowing of them to play "their game" based on reputation. We used to see this with the Seahawks in the earlier Pete Carroll years. They'd get away with murder while our DBs breathing on someone always brought the flag out.

You saw the same dynamic last night. The 49ers had at least 3 different blatant pass interference situations not called against them. And I mean blatant, like crashing into the WR a step earlier without a head even turned. If that had been PJ Williams, no doubt in my mind they get called.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom