If it wasn't for one unspeakable bad play, would Saints Fans consider Marcus Williams elite? (1 Viewer)

I really really like Williams... I think he makes the occasionally mistake, but we play so much single high safety, he make a lot of really good play. I also thought Malcolm Jenkins really looked old yesterday, he looked slow and did not tackle well.

First off, Darren Sharper WAS elite...secondly, Marcus is getting there coverage wise.
Again, define elite.
Sharper had 2 All Pro seasons in 14 years.
Reed had 5 All Pro seasons in 11 years.

Sean Taylor had GOAT potential. Opposing receivers feared him because he would destroy them, opposing QBs feared him because he would pick them off. Comparing him, Reed, Troy Polamalu, Ronnie Lott and the great safeties that have come and gone in the NFL Marcus WIlliams isn't on that list for anyone.

Marcus WIlliams has never made an all pro team, he doesn't strike fear into players for his hitting ability but few players in the league have been as consistent and available as he has the last 5 seasons. He is a very solid player. It's kind of like arguing if Matt Ryan is an elite QB.

He is an elite FS.

that ONE play was painful and still haunts me.

He is an elite FS.

that ONE play was painful and still haunts me.
It was a terrible play for sure, but if he had deflected that pass, would we still be talking about his excellent play that helped us reach the SB that year? A lot of people are choosing to ignore some of the great plays he's made this year. As single high, he has had to traverse the entire field at times to make a play, something a lot of safeties could never do, even if they diagnosed the play correctly. I think if we don't lock him up, someone else will, and he will terrorize us for years to come.

It was a terrible play for sure, but if he had deflected that pass, would we still be talking about his excellent play that helped us reach the SB that year? A lot of people are choosing to ignore some of the great plays he's made this year. As single high, he has had to traverse the entire field at times to make a play, something a lot of safeties could never do, even if they diagnosed the play correctly. I think if we don't lock him up, someone else will, and he will terrorize us for years to come.
eh...he doesn't whiff he gets flagged for PI because he was early. Vikes win on field goal

eh...he doesn't whiff he gets flagged for PI because he was early. Vikes win on field goal

Even a PI at that point would have been better. It would have setup a 52 yard FG attempt with 5 seconds left. Certainly not a gimme, but yea they still could have won.

Even a PI at that point would have been better. It would have setup a 52 yard FG attempt with 5 seconds left. Certainly not a gimme, but yea they still could have won.
Most definitely...in hindsight, yeah that PI would've been much better than the guaranteed TD...but we also have to look at the sheetty defensive alignment that exposed us to that play.

Hell we almost lost game 3 to Car that year on the last play because of a piss poor coverage package

No. Because I consider Ed Reed elite. He isn't Ed Reed but he is a very good player. Not consistent at times but glad to have him on the team.
I think this is the answer. Elite means you are the best of the best. Elite means you can do things that few others can do. So Ed Reeds absolutely qualifies as elite. Ronnie Lott was elite. Brian Dawkins was elite. It's hard to say that Marcus Williams is in that category. To me this is where he fits in

Elite
Great
Very Good - (This is where I think Williams falls)
Good
Average
Below Average
Bums

I think this is the answer. Elite means you are the best of the best. Elite means you can do things that few others can do. So Ed Reeds absolutely qualifies as elite. Ronnie Lott was elite. Brian Dawkins was elite. It's hard to say that Marcus Williams is in that category. To me this is where he fits in

Elite
Great
Good
Average
Below Average
Bums
I am curious where does Roman Harper rank? I watch some old games with him in coverage and OMG. I can't watch anymore. HAHA

Elite
Great
Good
Average
Below Average
Bums
Then pay the man because he'll go to another team and become an all-pro. Who is currently the highest paid FS? I'm not saying pay him that but something competitive with incentives.

I am curious where does Roman Harper rank? I watch some old games with him in coverage and OMG. I can't watch anymore. HAHA
Well Roman is hard to rank because he was very good at a few aspects of the position. He was usually good against the run and he inexplicably led the team in Sacks one year. But in coverage, good god on a golf cart. It wasn't pretty.

Overall I'd put him in the good category. I'll add some more Saints Safeties for a frame of reference:

Elite - Darren Sharper (for one year)
Great - Sammy Knight
Very Good - Marcus Williams
Good - Roman Harper, Malcolm Jenkins, Kenny V
Average - Josh Bullocks, Jay Bellamy, Rafael Bush
Below Average - Jairus Byrd
Bums - Tebucky Jones, Kevin Kaesviharn

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom