If it wasn't for one unspeakable bad play, would Saints Fans consider Marcus Williams elite? (1 Viewer)

Well Roman is hard to rank because he was very good at a few aspects of the position. He was usually good against the run and he inexplicably led the team in Sacks one year. But in coverage, good god on a golf cart. It wasn't pretty.

Overall I'd put him in the good category. I'll add some more Saints Safeties for a frame of reference:

Elite - Darren Sharper (for one year)
Great - Sammy Knight
Very Good - Marcus Williams
Good - Roman Harper, Malcolm Jenkins, Kenny V
Average - Josh Bullocks, Jay Bellamy, Rafael Bush
Below Average - Jairus Byrd
Bums - Tebucky Jones, Kevin Kaesviharn
I am sorry I couldn't put Roman Harper as good. He is a good blitzer but horrible in coverage. He has no speed to coverage sideline to sideline.

MW overcame that one terrible play to become one of the better FS in the league. With a little improved tackling, he's elite IMO.

Again, define elite.
Sharper had 2 All Pro seasons in 14 years.
Reed had 5 All Pro seasons in 11 years.

Sean Taylor had GOAT potential. Opposing receivers feared him because he would destroy them, opposing QBs feared him because he would pick them off. Comparing him, Reed, Troy Polamalu, Ronnie Lott and the great safeties that have come and gone in the NFL Marcus WIlliams isn't on that list for anyone.

Marcus WIlliams has never made an all pro team, he doesn't strike fear into players for his hitting ability but few players in the league have been as consistent and available as he has the last 5 seasons. He is a very solid player. It's kind of like arguing if Matt Ryan is an elite QB.

I think context is also important in these discussions.

Compared to the other safeties in the league right now, he is elite.

Compared to all the safeties in NFL history, Williams is not even remotely close to elite.

Again, define elite.
Sharper had 2 All Pro seasons in 14 years.
Reed had 5 All Pro seasons in 11 years.

Sean Taylor had GOAT potential. Opposing receivers feared him because he would destroy them, opposing QBs feared him because he would pick them off. Comparing him, Reed, Troy Polamalu, Ronnie Lott and the great safeties that have come and gone in the NFL Marcus WIlliams isn't on that list for anyone.

Marcus WIlliams has never made an all pro team, he doesn't strike fear into players for his hitting ability but few players in the league have been as consistent and available as he has the last 5 seasons. He is a very solid player. It's kind of like arguing if Matt Ryan is an elite QB.

Sharper holds the NFL record for most INT return yards in a season with 376 yrds... he took that record from Ed Reed.

For a career he is 3rd behind Reed and Rod Woodson and ahead of Deion Sanders and many other Elite Safeties/CBs.

He is #9 on the INT career list with 63, 2 INTs behind Woodson and 1 behind Reed.

Definitely Elite as a player; sadly, Lost as a person.

Well Roman is hard to rank because he was very good at a few aspects of the position. He was usually good against the run and he inexplicably led the team in Sacks one year. But in coverage, good god on a golf cart. It wasn't pretty.

Overall I'd put him in the good category. I'll add some more Saints Safeties for a frame of reference:

Elite - Darren Sharper (for one year)
Great - Sammy Knight
Very Good - Marcus Williams
Good - Roman Harper, Malcolm Jenkins, Kenny V
Average - Josh Bullocks, Jay Bellamy, Rafael Bush
Below Average - Jairus Byrd
Bums - Tebucky Jones, Kevin Kaesviharn
No gene atkins?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom