If it wasn't for one unspeakable bad play, would Saints Fans consider Marcus Williams elite? (1 Viewer)

I think so. In all honesty, that play is hard to overlook because it absolutely killed our shot at another SB. Other than that, he has been excellent. I hate that the play happened, as it will forever be imprinted into our memories, but at least he was able to not let it define his career, as he has continued to get better and better as a player.

I wish they had been able to get a long term deal done with him this year instead of paying him $10.6M on a franchise tag contract. Getting him re-signed long term in the off season is going to be expensive.

I wish they had been able to get a long term deal done with him this year instead of paying him $10.6M on a franchise tag contract. Getting him re-signed long term in the off season is going to be expensive.
It honestly makes it easier for us to resign this offseason.

No. Because I consider Ed Reed elite. He isn't Ed Reed but he is a very good player. Not consistent at times but glad to have him on the team.
Ed Reed isn't just elite. He's the GOAT free safety. Williams isn't GOAT, but he's elite.

I never let that play affect how I saw him. It was one play, if anything I felt bad for the dude. How many interceptions did Brees throw? I never understood the Marcus Williams haters.

I think so. In all honesty, that play is hard to overlook because it absolutely killed our shot at another SB. Other than that, he has been excellent. I hate that the play happened, as it will forever be imprinted into our memories, but at least he was able to not let it define his career, as he has continued to get better and better as a player.
At least he didn’t kill us in a super bowl. If I had my choice, I would take the mistake in the playoffs over a 28-3 choke in the Super Bowl.

Both had one thing in common, a last minute loss when victory was all but complete.

I'll never forget the time he tried tackling George Kittle by has facemask for about 15 yards. That was a huge play in a big game. He's a great safety, but has had a couple What the Fork! plays in really big moments.
Falling down on what should have been an easy INT against the 49ers in the same game, Sanders goes 75 yards for a TD instead.

Meanwhile there was that time he bailed us out with that huge PBU in single coverage on fourth down late in the game against....no, wait.

It was that pick-six when we were down 14 in third to turn the game around against.....no, that's not it.

It was that scoop-and-score....no, that was Vonn Bell.

Never mind.

And yeah, I know he plays a lot of single-high safety. It's not like that doesn't also lend itself to making big plays, and that position disappears in the red zone anyway.

I'm not saying I don't love him, because he's one of our own. But he's the poster child for the difference between very good and great.

Elite. I don't know about that. CAN he change games with his play? I think we've seen that every once in a while (sometimes for the worse). DOES he consistently change games with is play? I don't know if he is even a real impact player for us. To be elite you have to make plays on a consistent basis: game-changing plays that directly affect the won/loss record. While his play is certainly competent and probably quite good, I don't see the impact plays that this team has sorely needed out of him.

I consider him elite. He will be the highest paid safety next offseason. We will not be able to
Pay him. He is better than Adams

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom