If Jameis is the Future QB (1 Viewer)

The Saints would love to resign Jameis to a cap friendly contract. Is any team hinting they are interested other than the Saints? When Drew was injured every Tom, Dick and hairy talking head predicted that Jameis would fill in. When he didn't they went into overdrive concocting reasons why. Payton was hiding him. Taysom had more experience with the playbook, Payton promised Taysom.

Payton made it clear winning was his priority. The best spin Jameis fans can muster is, Payton considered them basically equal. If in Payton's view Jameis was demonstrably better Taysom would not have started.

Resigning Jameis makes sense even if he ultimately gets the #2 nod. Who ever starts will need a backup. Given our Cap situation the best play Payton has to keep him here is talking up the potential to be the starter.

It should be an interesting preseason.

a friend of mine is a die hard SEA fan.
he was brutally honest about Wilson not being the lonely victim in that team.

according the sacks he took, my friend blamed wilson for a big part too. Seattle heavily invested into their O-Line for years now and having a scramble-happy QB risking a sack every play while holding the ball too long, just doesnt cut it in the end.

So sure, Wilson may have an easier life in NOLA because our line usually feasts. But there is no guarantee that he would singlehandedly win us another Lombardi because we "let Russ cook".

Im on the Winston train tbh. Taysom had his chance and didnt exactly impress me.
Every other QB is either a draft gamble or a FA/trade accquisition that we cant afford due to our cap situation.

Winston is the best option we have, and I assume his flaws can be coached.

Short-term, yes. Long-term, possibly. More than likely, they’ll resign Jameis and try to draft a QB.

I'd be cautiously optimistic. I'd be optimistic because he has as much natural talent as almost any QB in the league. He can do anything when it comes to throwing a football. SP has been calling games with one hand tied behind his back because Drew is 57 years old and couldn't throw the ball 12 yards downfield. With Winston all of the sudden SP can use the entire field again and take advantage of these receiving weapons.

Now the caution part of being cautiously optimistic is because last time we saw Winston he was throwing picks like he had a performance bonus tied to them. Arians gave him the green light to rip it. No risk it no biscuit.

Winston can't be worried about biscuits in SP's offense. He needs to operate within the system and if the throw isn't there just check it down. If the check down isn't there then throw it in the dirt or in the stands. No more hero ball.

Now the caution part of being cautiously optimistic is because last time we saw Winston he was throwing picks like he had a performance bonus tied to them. Arians gave him the green light to rip it. No risk it no biscuit.

Winston can't be worried about biscuits in SP's offense. He needs to operate within the system and if the throw isn't there just check it down. If the check down isn't there then throw it in the dirt or in the stands. No more hero ball.

Those comments make it sound like he threw all those ints on deep passes. If you actually watch the video that shows all of them, you'll see they're mostly 15 yards and in.

Last I heard from Underhill Jameis is asking for more than the Saints expected. I'm guessing that means he is looking for around starting QB money. If they do go through with a contract like that there can't be a competition with Taysom as Payton said. Otherwise, you don't pay that kind of money. If they do buy into Jameis like that I think you have to take a serious look at Taysom's contract. Either extend him at TE money or trade him. Trading Taysom actually saves 12 mil if you can find a partner. The compensation would really be lagniappe. That's one of the biggest cap savings possible on the roster, right under Kwon.

Last edited:
Last I heard from Underhill Jameis is asking for more than the Saints expected. I'm guessing that means he is looking for around starting QB money. If they do go through with a contract like that there can't be a competition with Taysom as Payton said. Otherwise, you don't pay that kind of money. If they do buy into Jameis like that I think you have to take a serious look at Taysom's contract. Either extend him at TE money or trade him. Trading Taysom actually saves 12 mil if you can find a partner. The compensation would really be lagniappe. That's one of the biggest cap savings possible on the roster, right under Kwon.
That's possible but there has to be starter money out there for him to expect the saints to match. It's hard for me to believe there haven't been preliminary discussions before now, and I can't see him not seeing the benefit of a short-term deal.

Edit: Does Drew's status have anything to do with the process?

The Saints would love to resign Jameis to a cap friendly contract. Is any team hinting they are interested other than the Saints? When Drew was injured every Tom, Dick and hairy talking head predicted that Jameis would fill in. When he didn't they went into overdrive concocting reasons why. Payton was hiding him. Taysom had more experience with the playbook, Payton promised Taysom.

Payton made it clear winning was his priority. The best spin Jameis fans can muster is, Payton considered them basically equal. If in Payton's view Jameis was demonstrably better Taysom would not have started.

Resigning Jameis makes sense even if he ultimately gets the #2 nod. Who ever starts will need a backup. Given our Cap situation the best play Payton has to keep him here is talking up the potential to be the starter.

It should be an interesting preseason.
So this is still an ASSumption, right?! So I guess you know the real reason SP didn't start him over Taysom? I guess you didn't hear SP say, "Taysom was 'promised' this chaance"... He BLEW it!!! If he was soooo good, why no one picked him up when he was a restricted free agent...NO ONE thought he was worth a first rounder. SP just be hyping Taysom up, hoping another team bites...He's a GADGET PLAYER!!!

Jameis has a new hotshot agent looking to get paid. I'm not surprised.

That's possible but there has to be starter money out there for him to expect the saints to match. It's hard for me to believe there haven't been preliminary discussions before now, and I can't see him not seeing the benefit of a short-term deal.

Edit: Does Drew's status have anything to do with the process?
I wonder if a team will tag a player not in hopes to sign him, but to let the Salary market dry up.

Jameis is the most physically gifted QB that Payton will have been able to work with, design plays for, and call games with. Brees was clearly the most mentally gifted and that turned out pretty darn well.

Jameis would seem to offer the most upside, youth, and experience, while also being a plan they can move away from relatively easily if it goes south. It really is the smartest move possible.

And ultimately, I trust Sean Payton to design good offenses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom