If Jameis is the Future QB (1 Viewer)

I wonder if a team will tag a player not in hopes to sign him, but to let the Salary market dry up.
I don't know but I hope he's not chasing a quick payday because he's not getting a deal with long-term starter security without playing this past season. Even Teddy has learned that a team will move on soon but he got 30 mil out of the deal. Jameis is going to have to sign a prove-it contract before he gets back to real QB money, even a new agent should understand that.

Those comments make it sound like he threw all those ints on deep passes. If you actually watch the video that shows all of them, you'll see they're mostly 15 yards and in.

Yeah that wasn't my intention. What I meant is that Arians gave Winston the green light to throw the ball willy nilly. Don't be afraid to take chances and risks. They were going to sling it around the yard and hope for the best.

And I've seen the video on Winton's 30 pick season. The thing that really jumped out to me was that a lot of those picks were just flukes. It's incredible.

Post your reaction if/ when it is announced they are going with Jameis. I mean, we’re all waiting for that shoe to drop whether it’s pursuing Russell Wilson, drafting a QB or riding with Jameis. I’m on the Russell Wilson train myself and my reaction to Jameis would be one of disappointment. Heck I think I’d be as excited if they drafted the Alabama quarterback or another then to go with Jameis. At least that would signal they’re trying to get financials cleaned up and riding with youth and entering a new era of Saints football. Apologies if there is Jameis thread fatigue 😂. I just thought it would be interesting to see if the decision were to be made tomorrow what the reaction or let down would be. Thanks.

Tough one for me because I don't think Jameis is the guaranteed starter even when (if?) he re-signs. It's going to be a camp battle, and while I do believe Winston is the favorite it could go in either direction for me. So if he wins through battling it out in camp, having better knowledge of the playbook, and being able to execute better, then I'm fine.

Obviously I'd rather have Wilson though lol

If he was named THE GUY, I would be shocked. He won't be though. I think he walks in FA with a bigger pay than we offer. If he stays, then my curiosity goes toward the competition through preseason...there WILL be a competition if he stays.

Journalists are taking things Payton has said and just spotlighted certain words and taking snippets out of context to presume he is all in with Winston as the starter and a #1 priority to be the starter locked in for almost any cost and is THE future bar none. That isn't the case. Of course he would like a qb with the arm talent he has to be on the team...at the right price, as he was this past season. There will no DOUBT be a competition with WHOEVER is a QB for NOLA during the offseason, unless get someone like Wilson. I don't see us getting a high priced FA or in a trade.

Winston admirers keep going to his great deep ball, which is pretty, but most of them are single reads and OPEN in the middle of the field. He throws, usually, those with a good over the top release, usually sets his feet and great hip/trunk rotation. Otherwise, he still throws outside his body with a bit of sidearm and a changing release on all short throws or most outside the hashes. That is troubling. In the 49ers game, it was dump offs and read ONE guy each time. Later in the game, he started forcing throws to MT and was not reading the field. He had a few nice touch passes, but was wide open lanes to, again, the wide open, first look receiver. In practice you can look all world, but it is about your knee jerk, instinctive decision making in GAME time that really is the key to look for. I don't know if he can, or anyone can, beat that out of his DNA. His mechanics still look off and are inconsistent. I think Winston is close to his ceiling as a QB and he will plague you with the same mind blowing decision making and errant mechanics in game time. I do not think, even with his arm talent, he can take a game completely on his shoulders when things are not going his way and pull it out.

I think Hill can manage many different game plans and changing game plans and has that ability to run and just make things happen. I think he has more ceiling as a QB to learn more and improvise, as well. He has less arm talent, but those intangibles he has keep me looking at Hill getting the nod. There is so much more that Payton can game plan around him, as well. Taysom's starts had totally different game plans for each contest.

Someone like Trubisky, I feel, would be cheap and has a ceiling and is someone I think COULD actually develop and become a productive QB in NOLA. Maybe not, but I think we draft a QB who has fallen in draft and BPOTB at the time, we get a player like Trubisky, Winston walks in FA with a bigger pay, they keep Seimen and Hill and whoever is FA battle in TC.

If he signs, if he's the starter and if he plays 16 games my expectations are somewhere around this stat line

65%; 4,200 yards; 27 TD; 15 INT; 93 Rating

Best cmpl% and QB rating of his career. Second best seasons in TD rate, INT rate and total yards. Payton and the offense bring out the most efficient overall season in his career.

My reaction to him signing would purely depend on the money we spend.

Last edited:
Winston is the best option we have, and I assume his flaws can be coached.

Let me ask you two questions

1) After 5 years and several coaches what is your rationalization for the statement I highlighted?

2) Why did Teddy fans and now Jameis fans only apply the "I assume his flaws can be coached" argument to them and not to Taysom? There is a lot of film evidence that Jameis showed precious little growth in 5 season as a starter vs evidence that Taysom has progressed significantly.

I do not know if Jameis will stay or go. There does not seem to be a lot of interest in him that does not involve the Saints. What I do know is we have been here before and the pundits were wrong then so I would not be so eager to write in Jameis at the 1 spot in the depth chart or so quick to write off Taysom.

The QB room in Camp will be Taysom and some other guy. Both will be competing for the Starting slot.

If we are 1 and 3 after 4 games would you bench Jameis? What if he is 0 and 4 or 2 and 2 ?

Same question if Taysom ends up starting. Just wondering how deep into the season we should ride a QB with a losing record?

Post your reaction if/ when it is announced they are going with Jameis. I mean, we’re all waiting for that shoe to drop whether it’s pursuing Russell Wilson, drafting a QB or riding with Jameis. I’m on the Russell Wilson train myself and my reaction to Jameis would be one of disappointment. Heck I think I’d be as excited if they drafted the Alabama quarterback or another then to go with Jameis. At least that would signal they’re trying to get financials cleaned up and riding with youth and entering a new era of Saints football. Apologies if there is Jameis thread fatigue 😂. I just thought it would be interesting to see if the decision were to be made tomorrow what the reaction or let down would be. Thanks.
give him a chance .

O your gonna get destroyed. Lot of Jameis lovers in here. But I will be honest, we have to see more of him ON the field to know what we got. Taysom had his turn so why shouldn't Jameis?

If we are 1 and 3 after 4 games would you bench Jameis? What if he is 0 and 4 or 2 and 2 ?

Same question if Taysom ends up starting. Just wondering how deep into the season we should ride a QB with a losing record?
Honestly, I don't think it would turn out that way considering how good the team is overall and our record without Drew these past couple of years. I think you have to give Jameis at least 4-5 games in the system to make a realistic evaluation compared to Taysom/Teddy. I don't think it's a wins/loss thing more of how he looks.

"use your eyes", "it's obvious" ??? You guys are banking on a guy that never made the playoffs and was never considered a top 10 quarterback. I don't think Jameis will stay.....the Saints won't be inclined to pay what others will....plus I think another team will offer more assurances, a cleaner path to be their #1.

If Winston is the starter it is a clear signal that this is a rebuilding year. He has never been anything more than a journeyman. I would rather sign Alex Smith.

If he was named THE GUY, I would be shocked. He won't be though. I think he walks in FA with a bigger pay than we offer. If he stays, then my curiosity goes toward the competition through preseason...there WILL be a competition if he stays.

Journalists are taking things Payton has said and just spotlighted certain words and taking snippets out of context to presume he is all in with Winston as the starter and a #1 priority to be the starter locked in for almost any cost and is THE future bar none. That isn't the case. Of course he would like a qb with the arm talent he has to be on the team...at the right price, as he was this past season. There will no DOUBT be a competition with WHOEVER is a QB for NOLA during the offseason, unless get someone like Wilson. I don't see us getting a high priced FA or in a trade.

Winston admirers keep going to his great deep ball, which is pretty, but most of them are single reads and OPEN in the middle of the field. He throws, usually, those with a good over the top release, usually sets his feet and great hip/trunk rotation. Otherwise, he still throws outside his body with a bit of sidearm and a changing release on all short throws or most outside the hashes. That is troubling. In the 49ers game, it was dump offs and read ONE guy each time. Later in the game, he started forcing throws to MT and was not reading the field. He had a few nice touch passes, but was wide open lanes to, again, the wide open, first look receiver. In practice you can look all world, but it is about your knee jerk, instinctive decision making in GAME time that really is the key to look for. I don't know if he can, or anyone can, beat that out of his DNA. His mechanics still look off and are inconsistent. I think Winston is close to his ceiling as a QB and he will plague you with the same mind blowing decision making and errant mechanics in game time. I do not think, even with his arm talent, he can take a game completely on his shoulders when things are not going his way and pull it out.

I think Hill can manage many different game plans and changing game plans and has that ability to run and just make things happen. I think he has more ceiling as a QB to learn more and improvise, as well. He has less arm talent, but those intangibles he has keep me looking at Hill getting the nod. There is so much more that Payton can game plan around him, as well. Taysom's starts had totally different game plans for each contest.

Someone like Trubisky, I feel, would be cheap and has a ceiling and is someone I think COULD actually develop and become a productive QB in NOLA. Maybe not, but I think we draft a QB who has fallen in draft and BPOTB at the time, we get a player like Trubisky, Winston walks in FA with a bigger pay, they keep Seimen and Hill and whoever is FA battle in TC.
So, if Taysom is the guy, why not just endorse him?! Give him the job, and find a decent backup so he has confidence going into the season... Why would SP even want Jameis back?! SMH!!!

Short term my guess is that Payton will be counting on Winston, while hoping he continues to develop in the non-physical aspects of the game so important for a QB. I also, believe, however that Loomis is not going to break the bank on a guy with question marks. To that end Winston's contract IMO will be incentive laden with an early out if he does not improve measurably this year, assuming he starts. If Winston wants big time starter money then I see the Saints going with Hill and perhaps a low cost veteran backup and letting Winston ply his trade with another team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom