If Jameis is the Future QB (1 Viewer)

So, if Taysom is the guy, why not just endorse him?! Give him the job, and find a decent backup so he has confidence going into the season... Why would SP even want Jameis back?! SMH!!!
I never said CSP thinks anyone is THE GUY. Payton wants competition, wants the best player who proves they are the clear best choice and won't really be able to evaluate Winston unless through a full offseason and preseason. If too high, CSP will not pay for a "what if" project. He is looking for the best options and I think CSP is intrigued with Winston's raw tools and if he MIGHT be able to salvage him...that is a LOT of "what if" with Winston. If the price is too high, he will pass. I never said CSP thinks Hill is "the guy". Payton of course wants Winston back, but there are definite parameters. I trust in what Payton will do. There are a lot of unanswered questions at QB. My personal opinion, being a former QB, trainer, coach for years is mentioned in my original post. I think the coaching staff has the same sort of leanings, but they want to give Winston a thorough look that couldn't given this past season and lack of true offseason. In the reverse, IF Winston was the true heir apparent for the Saints, he would have been signed already and looked at closer when Brees was down. Drew's playing decision for this coming season has a lot hinging on it.

Last edited:
Inside info:

Winston is not back in NO next year. Its either Drew, Wilson or Draft pick.

Inside info:

Heard contract talk has broke down. Saints aren't happy to wait till FA to sign a QB and play the market. Winston's new agent want's to go the FA.. Drew is not coming back outside of Loomis and Payton begging him back, tho.

Inside info:

The vibe I’ve gotten lately is that the Saints still want him back and he wants to be back. But he will first test FA.

It won’t be Drew. As Chris Mortensen said yesterday, even the Saints are ready to move on.

It would be very un-Payton like to go into the draft without a QB (and I think it’s been made pretty clear Taysom isnt).

Trading for Wilson would be ideal, but obviously quite unlikely for a lot of reasons. If we go much further without Ram and/or Lattimore (and Williams) getting new deals, then maybe there’s reason to suspect something could be up, since those would be our three best trade-able players.

Anyway, next few weeks should be interesting. Based on everything I’ve heard/read, I’d still say Jameis tests FA and ends up back in NO. But we’ll see.

Last edited:
To me it all depends on the size and length of Winston's contract. I see Winston as the best current option for 2021 and trust Coach Payton's knowledge of the player. Winston's problem was decision making. He has all the arm talent you could ask for and now has a year in our system. Ideally I would want two years or a three year deal with a ghost year less than $20 million apy. More than that I am wary of committing too heavily.

I look at Russell Wilson is most likely going to Chicago over New Orleans if he were to leave Chicago because Chicago has the better draft picks and are more desperate. If that were to occur Seattle becomes competition for Winston. If the Texans cave into Watson, I think the destination is Carolina and trade up with the Jets. I would not want to give up the future draft capital for either player as it would mean we lose access to cheap players to deal with our cap and keep the good players we already have.

I don't think the Saints have the luxury of waiting until the draft to sign Winston. I see the main competition outside of Seattle as Chicago and Washington . The reason being neither of these teams have high draft picks to seriously look at a rookie. The Bears have Foles so all of that speaks to me as Winston has limited options and may not have another team to bid against the Saints at the start of free agency to get a reasonable contract given the Saints cap constraints.

On Washington I could see Newton in Washington, Garoppolo in New England, and Matt Ryan in San Francisco if Atlanta takes a QB with their 4th overall. I also could see the Saints backup plan to Winston be Teddy Bridgewater if Carolina makes a trade for Deshaun Watson.

So had this discussion with my husband. I brought up the point of assessing basically journeymen QBs (as opposed to, you know, the elite one) looking at whether they could actually win you games versus whether they were going to make you lose a game. I offered Foles and Trubisky as clear examples of QBs who were more likely to lose you games.

And in a Jameis vs. Teddy B (if we were to take him back) as one comparison, his opinion was Jameis was more likely to lose you games than Teddy.

So what do you think, is Jameis a more likely to lose you games than win you games kind of QB?

So had this discussion with my husband. I brought up the point of assessing basically journeymen QBs (as opposed to, you know, the elite one) looking at whether they could actually win you games versus whether they were going to make you lose a game. I offered Foles and Trubisky as clear examples of QBs who were more likely to lose you games.

And in a Jameis vs. Teddy B (if we were to take him back) as one comparison, his opinion was Jameis was more likely to lose you games than Teddy.

So what do you think, is Jameis a more likely to lose you games than win you games kind of QB?
Teddy plays safe. Jamies . . . he’s not afraid to toss it.

He’s both, haha.

For the last three seasons, we’ve had a QB who wouldn’t lose you games, but he would no longer win them when it counted and a QB had to carry you.

Jameis has absolutely been a QB who would lose you games during his career. He’s also had some “win you games” moments.

The question is whether Payton can unlock the “win you games” Jameis more consistently. If so, there’s a world where we could actually become a more dangerous team with him than we have been the last couple seasons with Brees.

There’s also a world where he remains 30-INT Jameis and we’re looking for a new QB next year.

Personally, I’m ready to roll the dice on a QB who could be either rather than staying with a QB who is closer to “neither.”

He’s both, haha.
Honestly, there's where I kind of landed, too. I was a bit surprised my husband put him in the "lose" category without equivocation.

Hear that but, who knows, he could learn not to do that.
His future depends on it, he better learn how or any dreams of being at franchise QB will quickly change to a career backup role.

Honestly, there's where I kind of landed, too. I was a bit surprised my husband put him in the "lose" category without equivocation.
I put him in the lose category also. For me he doesn’t have that it factor. He seems more like Cam Newton than Drew Brees. I don’t see him throwing a pick and heading to the sideline to study where he went wrong although he may have grown fatigued from doing that several years ago 😂. I don’t think he has it between the ears. Has all the talent like Cam but does he have the ❤️ and smarts to carry a team through adversity like Drew did through the 7-9 seasons

Well, I for one, would like the opportunity to see if Jamies can turn into a win you one QB under SP, if SP makes it a priority to re-sign him....even if on a one year deal....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom