If Marshon and the Crew Let Seattle's WR's Beat them, then We Have a Major Problem (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Week 1: I get it, not too many defenders can slow down DeAndre Hopkins.

Week 2: Brandin Cooks and company are not on Hop's level, but they are pretty good.

Week 3: If we let Tyler Lockett and the rest of Seattle's okay receivers dust us, then something is terribly wrong with the secondary.

The issue with Seattle is Russell Wilson's ability to extend the play and have one of our defenders lose track of a receiver. I also remember that whenever you blitz Wilson he can throw that moon ball to a receiver in single coverage for a completion. The last time we played them he must have beat the blitz ten times that way. Hopefully our improved corners will have more success on those 50/50 balls than we did last time.

Lattimore has definitely had some highs and lows already.

In week 1 he actually had a decent game. Up until Hopkins 35 yard catch vs him he only allowed 5 catches for 12 yards.

In week 2, well lets just say he probably had his worst start of his career allowing a 150 yards a perfect QB rating. I honestly can't tell you what happened.

Im so disgusted with the way our secondary has played but have reserved judgement hoping the usual excuses apply ( defense starts slow, they played great receivers, there was no pressure, bla, bla, bla...).

But yes, absolutely; if they get torched this week, we have a real problem. Or we could always just keep adding excuses to make ourselves feel better.

We've blamed our secondary woes on the lack of pass rush for as long as I can remember. We have had great pass rush so far, yet we are still getting toasted. That is with two 1st round picks at corner. This can not go on for too much longer without major questions being raised, in my opinion.

Beat me to it!

Newsflash: 21st century offenses are pretty good throwing the football.

But go ahead and vent. They're going to be rated even lower Vs the pass after our #1 run defense gets going (Rankins return) and teams have no choice but to pass it.

Newsflash: 21st century offenses are pretty good throwing the football.

But go ahead and vent. They're going to be rated even lower Vs the pass after our #1 run defense gets going (Rankins return) and teams have no choice but to pass it.

That argument still doesn't explain why we're below the league average in pass defense. Other teams that are better than us go up against 21st century offenses, as well. All I'm saying is that we have a lot of room to improve there, and as of now, it can't be blamed on a lack of pass rush or failure to address the secondary positions.

And.. It's still early. There's time to buckle down. But just saying, as of now, our secondary IS a problem. Although, definitely not near our largest problem at the moment.

Yeah, the issue with SEA is never that their receivers are great, it's that Wilson extends plays for so long that he makes mediocre receivers look a lot better than they are b/c lots of NFL WRs and TEs can get open if they have 10-15 seconds to do so.

I'll be mad at our DBs if Wilson is finding open guys a couple seconds after the snap. If he's running around forever back there and someone gets open, not so much.

And for whatever it's worth, while we did get 6 sacks vs. HOU on most of Watson's big throws in that game, he had a ton of time to throw, with the exception of the final TD pass to Stills where he got leveled as he threw.

The issue with Seattle is Russell Wilson's ability to extend the play and have one of our defenders lose track of a receiver. I also remember that whenever you blitz Wilson he can throw that moon ball to a receiver in single coverage for a completion. The last time we played them he must have beat the blitz ten times that way. Hopefully our improved corners will have more success on those 50/50 balls than we did last time.

We've blamed our secondary woes on the lack of pass rush for as long as I can remember. We have had great pass rush so far, yet we are still getting toasted. That is with two 1st round picks at corner. This can not go on for too much longer without major questions being raised, in my opinion.
be prepared for down votes from the dennis allen excuse makers

he might be a good defensive mind but he consistently cant have decent secondaries and that is not the players fault, its directly on him

Lockett is a speed demon, and for a small guy, he’s very good at going up and coming down with contested deep balls.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom