N/S If Mike Smith Stayed With The Falcons (1 Viewer)

I actually do recall a segment on Fox Sports Sunday where Jay Glazer said Mickey and Sean sat down and had a heart to heart. If I’m not mistaken, I think he also mentioned that Sean was this close to going over to Indianapolis for the chance to coach Luck. They ended up working it out, but it did get close. Now, I could be remembering this segment wrong, but I feel like this was pretty close to what was reported. I normal ignore talking heads, but I tend to listen when Glazer speaks b/c Sean respects him.

In any case, I won’t CSP for as long as he wants to be here. I am anxious to see what he’d do with a dual threat QB. Either that’s going to be Taysom or he will draft the next thing and allow Jameis to take the reins until his project QB is ready for the lights. I’m looking forward to supporting Drew till his final snap and rooting on our next QB1. I trust coach.

Interesting question. I always thought Smith was a fairly good head coach. He was given seven seasons. His regular-season record overall was good: 66-46. His teams from 2008 through 2014 went 11-5, 9-7, 13-3, 10-6, 13-3, 4-12 and 6-10. But I don't think he was able to win a playoff game, though the Falcons had the number one seed in both 2010 and 2012. It was probably time for the Falcons to move in 2014.

A mystery may be how Thomas Dimitroff has kept his job as general manager for 13 years.
Mike Smith did win one playoff game in 2012. A close one at home vs. Seattle Seahawks where Matt Bryant kicked close to a 50-yard FG for them to win it. Ironically enough, The Falcons had a huge 2nd half lead they totally blew against a young, dynamic Seahawks defense(wasn't quite Legion of Boom caliber, but close) and a young, up-and-coming rookie QB named Russell Wilson that the Falcons front 7 could not stop or control by the time the 4th quarter rolled around. But on that day, Seattle left Atlanta a bit too much time after going ahead and Ryan used it to get into Bryant's FG range and rest is history.

2012 Falcons may have had more depth but their offense wasnt nearly as explosive or powerful as the 2016 version was. Mike Smith just got out-coached by Jim Harbaugh in the second half of the 2012 NFC Championship. No other reasonable way exists to explain those events comes close.

FWIW, honestly if you really examine the Falcons team history, organization's past going back to the late 70s/early 80s--the Gritz Blitz era they've always showed a penchant for blowing big second-half leads leading to last-second losses in postseason games: It happened in 1980 vs. Dallas, it happened again 2 years later in Minnesota where Vikings drove down the field late in the 4th quarter and scored a last-second TD to win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom