If Sean Payton trade happens, Saints will consider Doug Marrone: report - NOLA [MERGED 2X] (1 Viewer)

they have Gurley. Austin & Britt are terrible. Goff is not good. That's the thing i don't get about people saying "well L.A. has Goff & Payton liked Goff."

I understand that he was the #1 pick in the draft, and he's got some physical talent and his team isn't real talented. but he didn't look anywhere remotely close to being ready to be an NFL starting QB. look at guys like Winston, Mariota, even Dalton, who didn't light the world on fire their rookie years, also with bad teams, but at least you could see they belonged.
Goff will be fine with a proper offensive line and a competent play caller. Gurley is a true talent, and his complete wasting this season should be a clue as to just how bad that offense was run.

Austin can be utilized better, and they have a rookie tight end in Tyler Higbee that I think is going to be pretty dominant in the right system. And I also want to see Pharoh Cooper with a year under his belt.

It's just my opinion of course, but you put Sean Payton or Kyle Shanahan or Josh McDaniels or Todd Haley in that organization, and you have a playoff team much quicker than anyone would believe. The parts are there, absent a true number one receiver. But that can be added or schemed around. The oline must be fixed. That is the fulcrum of the teams prospects, imho.

If SP leave for greener pasture i hope Saints have in the clause non of the staff goes with Payton. Then again if Payton goes and thats a big if promote Pete Carmicheal as Head Coach. Offense want miss a beat and probably will be more balanced.

i mean, why would payton want out? he's making 9mil a year. He wont get that with theh Rams

Remember Payton did not have much when he came here right after Katrina. We were in hell when he took over and the first order in his and Loomis business was finding us a QB in which they did against all odds in getting Brees. Then it started! Don't doubt Payton if he moves to another team.

they have Gurley. Austin & Britt are terrible. Goff is not good. That's the thing i don't get about people saying "well L.A. has Goff & Payton liked Goff."

I understand that he was the #1 pick in the draft, and he's got some physical talent and his team isn't real talented. but he didn't look anywhere remotely close to being ready to be an NFL starting QB. look at guys like Winston, Mariota, even Dalton, who didn't light the world on fire their rookie years, also with bad teams, but at least you could see they belonged.

The same was said about Brees in S.D. They even went and drafted Rivers the following year. To early to judge.

Remember Payton did not have much when he came here right after Katrina. We were in hell when he took over and the first order in his and Loomis business was finding us a QB in which they did against all odds in getting Brees. Then it started! Don't doubt Payton if he moves to another team.
i don't doubt him if he has Gurley and the right QB. But it's the QB that's key.

What Payton wanted when he got here was Romo. Brees was plan B because Dallas wouldn't deal Romo. I don't think Romo would have worked out the same.

And looking at Grayson, Goff and Paxton Lynch, drafting a QB high is still no sure thing.

My best guesses of what's really happening if SP talks to other teams:

1) Bargaining chip to ensure Benson doesn't bring-in a real player personnel GM to whom SP would have to report
2) Bargaining chip to ensure SP gets to keep all his buddy coaching pals
2) Benson has tasked Loomis with exploring other possibilities beyond SP. This does not mean Benson is serious about letting SP go

And "IF" anything actually comes of this, we need to bump Loomis up, hire a real strong GM and let that person take the lead in searching for a coach who fits an entire system.

Bear in mind that as Loomis takes the time to decide whether or not we're trading Payton, other teams with HC vacancies are already conducting interviews. They could very well be on to second interviews with some candidates before we finally decide that we're trading Payton.

We need to get it sorted out NOW, one way or the other.

Bear in mind that as Loomis takes the time to decide whether or not we're trading Payton, other teams with HC vacancies are already conducting interviews. They could very well be on to second interviews with some candidates before we finally decide that we're trading Payton.

If there is existing tension between Payton and Loomis, how this is handled could only make it worse if somehow Payton wants to go and Loomis blocks it.

Which of course contributes to dysfunction going into next year.

What does Payton really want?

I bet Sean Payton and Tony Romo will end up in the same place. Either Denver or LA.

In all these hypotheticals if the option is there for Pete to stay here and be his own man as OC to Brees then to me that would look like the preferred option than to follow Payton and stay an assistant who may or may not get to call a game from week to week depending on whether Payton wants to do it.

But yeah if there are no other options...

Most teams don't do that. Is Sean is gone, every coach, including strength and conditioning, aides, QC coaches are gone. It's very rare to hang on to individual coaches.

Most teams don't do that. Is Sean is gone, every coach, including strength and conditioning, aides, QC coaches are gone. It's very rare to hang on to individual coaches.
Agreed.

Most coaches also don't step into situations where the core of a prolific offense run by a HOF QB is in place. I would think you might at least consider trying to keep the foundation of that in place and not press reset with a narrow window remaining for a proven QB.

But then again if Payton were to leave maybe Brees goes too and it's full reset.

Honestly, since we have no idea who the source is, and reading through the horoscope like "reports" from Ian R... (may happen soon, may happen slow, if, they could..)

This is either someone from the Rams feeding the media some names so they look good. It's wishful thinking.

Or, this is Sean's agent protecting his client. He wants to drum up interest so the team gets a little fear about life without him. it's akin to the annual Gruden coaching rumors creating a new ESPN contract extension.

We'll see. I'm not sick of Sean. I'm sick of the defense lagging and the offense having off days. That being said, we still had the best offense in the NFL. We're a couple playmakers on the front 7 (probably a DE and a LB) and a CB away from having a good unit out there, baring injuries.

And this is why I don't think Payton is going anywhere. They wouldn't be dragging it out like this.

And this is why I don't think Payton is going anywhere. They wouldn't be dragging it out like this.

No, they would. It's in the Saints best interest to not play too interested in trading Payton. No value that way.

Also, technically the Rams (or any team) still have to interview at least one minority coaching candidate, and they also have an interest in various coordinators.

The only way this situation is over quickly, is if the Saints and Sean want to keep the band together.

I expect this to be a lot like last year. A lot of drama over their usual annual process and we'll know more by Wednesday or Thursday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom